• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TruAg

Well, haven't done anything TO my 5 ton, BUT I did use it to pull the Church's youth ministry trailer out of the pasture where it was stuck. Wet as it is in Texas right now, I was just worried about getting the big ol boy stuck itself. LOL

k10greene

I have video of the first day when we tied... very poor quality. On the second day I took him twice in a row after figuring out my fuel cap had been set to fording the first day. Once corrected he was beaten I was the only vehicle capable though I had 3,000lbs and an extra axle advantage

sed6

First off I read all 195 pages of this thread! That actually took about the last two weeks. This week I did a lot.
I fixed my broken passenger door handle.
I made two wheel chocks.
I entered a car show and won first place.
I took my dogs for their first ride.
I disabled my emergency fuel cutoff and used the collar with setscrew to fix my manual throttle lever.
I began to repair my winch (need a front winch control cable, mines bound up).
I converted my headlights over to HELLA cool H4's.
I took time to properly aim my new headlights.
I removed and polished every light lens cover. That took about 8 hours but the results were well worth it. Nothing says well cared for truck like operable, clean and bright lights!

Attachments

Powershift

My 5 ton, and a friend's HMMWV, are on display for Memorial Day today at my shop. Today means even more than usual for us, as we just lost one of our instructors last Weds. He was a true brother to us all.

Attachments

Last edited:

Truckoholic

I spent Saturday and Sunday at Sand Lake Recreation area here in northwestern Oregon. It's always fun letting people see these trucks. And yes, like Piper Cub said, they seem to get so much more attention when you are flying the flags.

banner.jpg

Today I drove it over to Lincoln City, and went to Burger King. Sitting there in the Burger King parking lot, and this woman comes across the parking lot, and is looking real suspiciously at my truck, and at me, and then comes over and says "You aren't for real are you?" I was like "Huh?" "You aren't really in the Army are you?" Turns out she was accusing me of trying to pass myself off as a soldier. She explained to me how "there are guys out there who pretend to be in the army when they really aren't, and my friend told me the questions to ask them to find out if they really are or not." So I explained to her that civilians CAN buy these trucks, and that's one of the reasons I do not wear any kind of uniform when I am driving my truck around, because I have never served in the military, and do not want to represent myself as being in the military when I'm not. She was kind of strange and not all there anyway and proceeded to ask me for money anyway. Ha ha. She said "You got a buck seventy five? I bet you do if you're driving this thing." I really can't stand when people assume that because you drive something like this, it means you are rich or something. Umm no. I spend all of my money on fuel to drive the thing around. ha ha. But since I'm a nice guy, I gave her $2 and went in and got my food.

323 miles on the truck now since new piston and cylinder liner. Still doing great. Engine oil still perfectly clear with no water in it. Engine coolant staying where it should be. Very happy.

Amer-team

Added color for two Memorial services this weekend. Saturday at Ocean Shores, WA and today at Mountain View Cemetery in Lakewood, outside JBLM.
Also found out this weekend that my truck, the tan one, did desert duty in Iraq in 2003. Met a SFC from the unit and he clued me in on some of the history.

Attachments

sed6

Nice polish on those lights.. Was that just cleaning or did you use a headlight refinisher?
Thanks! I'm not sure a headlight refinisher would give me the results I was looking for. All had decades of grime on them and many had paint overspray from poor taping or just sloppy painting. I wet sanded with 400 grit to remove the paint and then followed that with 1000, 1500, 2000 & 2500 grits (all wet sanded). I finished them up with Meguiar's Plastic Cleaner (a very mild abrasive) then Maguiar's Plastic Polish (a fine polish) using my DA buffer. So 7 steps in all to get them sparkling new (times 10 lights times 100's of strokes per light equals 2 very sore hands)! So (but) in hindsight the headlight kit would probably work fine, but I had these materials on hand as that's the same process I've used to restore headlights in the past.

Truckoholic

I really want to do that on mine, and was just today figuring that the heater core supply lines would probably be the best place to tie into. I was thinking directly in line with one of them though. But I can see how this setup would still allow the coolant to be filtered. And I suppose an added benefit would be, if the filter clogs up, you don't lose circulation to anything.

Did the coolant filter on my m931a1. View attachment 561453

Amer-team

Sed6, I got the same results with a polish from the autoparts store, used to remove scuffs from ones paint job. It took a few minutes per lens, using the polish and a soft cotton rag. Mine were so bad I didn't figure that I could hurt them and I have had a couple of questions from people on where I got the new lenses.

smurph

I removed the old rotted paneling from the M934 and replaced with new. The metal studs were wire brushed and painted and the insulation was removed to let it dry out.
panel1.jpgpanel2.jpgpanel3.jpgpanel4.jpgpanel5.jpg
The walls had been painted white previously by the military. So I went back white. New seals were installed to make leaking a thing of the past. The only thing left to do is put the window frames back on.
panel6.jpgpanel7.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks