• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MARDET

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a set of keyed lockable external door handles on ebay from "those military guys". Waiting on them to arrive.

Anyone have experience with a keyed ignition switch? Saw one on ebay that was described as "PLUG N PLAY". Description pics showed what appeared to be pigtails that would make an easy install.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got mine from military guys keyed disconnect switch goes on the driver side of the battery box works good they give you the cables and everything and instructions to do the job, m923a2 for myself
also had a buddy did a m998 humvee worked out for him to.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got started on the mockup of my Oil filter bypass system for the NHC250. Going with a Baldwin 1308 base and a LuberFiner LFP777XL 3 micron filter. I will be mounting the filter base on the frame near the fuel filter canister. I am going to T into the oil lines that run up to the pump. I have a T fitting that will go into the pipe 45 degree bend under the pump and allow me to screw the JIC fitting into it. I am going to go with a -4 or - 6 JIC fitting on the T. The base has a 3/8" NPT inlet/Outlet. This will be either a -4 or -6 JIC fitting adapted to the pipe as well. I am probably going replace the drainplug with a fitting that has a JIC on the reverse side. Allowing the pump to pull oil from the pan into the bypass filter without it going thru the metal screen in the pan that protects the pump.

This will require the bypass filter to be replaced every 3,000 to 5,000miles or 100 hours. The normal oil filter at 5,000 to 7,500 miles or 200 hours and the oil at 25,000 to 30,000 miles. This will also depend on my oil analysis I am going to have after 10,000 miles of the system install.I just sent one off after 7,500 miles on Rotella and a B96SS filter being using. Also varies on oil burned. Current engine hours is 980. I am sure not many people here can reap the benefits of it but with the amount of mileage I do. I can go thru 7,500miles in 2 weeks if I choose to. I am about to go from Texarkana to Phoenix and back to Texarkana to Las Vegas. Then some very extended hauls to the port of Houston.

I will have about $140 into everything time I get done I am figuring. The base mount is around $40, Filter is $20, and all the other lines and fittings I will need. But it will save me from having to buy Rotella and a filter every 7,500 miles.

The following pictures are an 855 engine after it dropped a valve. The oil had been changed every 800 hours. Yes 800 hours for the 2years prior to being torn apart. None of these parts have been cleaned.

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

Merry Christmas everybody. Had a good 2016, made some new friends, and looking forward to playing with all of you in 2017.

Took the 9 gift shopping as usual. The malls pile the parking lot snow up with front end loaders. It is hard to not drive 23,000lbs of turbocharged M925A2 through them, so, I did.

Hope you can all enjoy quality time with friends and family forming memories that last a lifetime.

IMG_3542.jpgIMG_3528.jpgIMG_3527.jpg

TCD

Bought a set of keyed lockable external door handles on ebay from "those military guys". Waiting on them to arrive.

Anyone have experience with a keyed ignition switch? Saw one on ebay that was described as "PLUG N PLAY". Description pics showed what appeared to be pigtails that would make an easy install.
Howdy,

I have installed the ignition switch and one of the things I like about "Those Military Guys" is that they give you everything you need to install the switch.

Works great!

Tom

MARDET

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roger that Tom....thanks! Still debating on the keyed switch or the keyed disconnect for battery box. Funny thing is when I was a brand new Private I was sent to go ask Gunny for the keys for one of the 5 tons....he growled and said get out! He became my 1stSgt, we still talk today....may do the ignition key and send him a pic just for the laugh.

8madjack

Merry Christmas all! After reading a post here about pulling trees with their truck, I decided to give it a try, I needed a few removed so Yesterday morning I played with my m931a1 :D There are a lot of hard core rock crawklers and cool 4x4s in my area because I live relatively close to the Rubicon trail and I got some horn honking and thumbs up from a guy in a cool toyota rock crawler while I was backing in for the hook up. I started off small with a couple along my driveway, just idled them out.20161224_133113.jpg 20161224_133037.jpg

then I tackled a bigger one about 4-5" Dia.20161224_133940.jpg 20161224_134145.jpg20161224_133952.jpg20161224_135505.jpg20161224_135455.jpg20161224_135558.jpg

It took a few yanks but it came out, lotta fun that was :p

Ford Mechanic

Merry Christmas all! After reading a post here about pulling trees with their truck, I decided to give it a try, I needed a few removed so Yesterday morning I played with my m931a1 :D There are a lot of hard core rock crawklers and cool 4x4s in my area because I live relatively close to the Rubicon trail and I got some horn honking and thumbs up from a guy in a cool toyota rock crawler while I was backing in for the hook up. I started off small with a couple along my driveway, just idled them out.View attachment 659601 View attachment 659602

then I tackled a bigger one about 4-5" Dia.View attachment 659603 View attachment 659608View attachment 659609View attachment 659610View attachment 659611View attachment 659612

It took a few yanks but it came out, lotta fun that was :p
Good looking bed on that tractor!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8madjack

Thanks! I had one wierd issue when I first started the truck, It has sat for a few weeks and been wet and in thew 30s and when I went to drive it the drivers side middle wheel was stuck and wouldnt turn. I gently tried going forward and reverse a few times with no luck at first. then I heard/felt a clunk and the wheel would turn, I was sitting still when it clunked. My abs light went on and I had no abs, the light then went out and the truck was grabby when I applied the brakes and it would lock up easily. I turned the truck off to hook up to a tree and when I restarted it, everything was working normally. Anyone else ever had a similar experiance?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! I had one wierd issue when I first started the truck, It has sat for a few weeks and been wet and in thew 30s and when I went to drive it the drivers side middle wheel was stuck and wouldnt turn. I gently tried going forward and reverse a few times with no luck at first. then I heard/felt a clunk and the wheel would turn, I was sitting still when it clunked. My abs light went on and I had no abs, the light then went out and the truck was grabby when I applied the brakes and it would lock up easily. I turned the truck off to hook up to a tree

and when I restarted it, everything was working normally. Anyone else ever had a similar experiance?
Just a stuck wedge or some rust. Maybe a spring can didn't release. It happens.

Last edited:

8madjack

good to know, thanks, I'll have to study up the tm and see if I can do something to alleviate that or deal with it next time. I left the park brake off after I was done and just chocked up really good.

8madjack

oh, well it set then, I drain the tanks whenever Im done like the tm says, I'll just have to not let it sit too long.

I don't have a pic, but I usually park it in front of the barn with a genie charger plugged into the slave port, another idea I got from this thread. I bought one of those radio charger adapters off fleabay, removed the resisters under the slave plug and hooked wires direct to the connections. I then spliced the genie pigtail onto the wire.

Spyderman

I put duct tape around the windshield so the water won't leak in this winter. I have a brand new complete windshield sitting in my garage. Just need to put it on but I want to get new electric windshield wipers first. At least it doesn't look to bad.

Sent from my webslinger!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks