• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

zguinness

I took a pressure washer to it and fixed the passenger wiper motor.

Next I plan on installing a keyed battery disconnect. I've been reading lots of differing opinions on where to install it though.

JarheadMtn

I was hauling up a load of wood and blew a tire on a single lane dirt road. I got the tire off and broke a socket taking the rim apart. The tire was destroyed so I used the excavator to break the bead loose. Much easier than what the tire shops use. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find a new O ring and put another tire back on so I cna get some more wood hauled out before the snow flies.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think that this tubing will have the longevity of copper lines?
When it comes time to replace, IF ever, they are much, much easier to work with than copper. They would be easier to replace if there is a malfunction. I worry more about copper getting damaged, i.e. bent and kinked, than the nylon. You can get a fairly decent bend with the nylon without kinking. As long as they are clamped and dressed up properly, the y should wear just fine.

zguinness

Are you guys bolting these cranes straight to the bed? No problems with the thin sheet metal?

Also, what kind of weight are these cranes rated for?

Sorry, but you've piqued my curiosity.

zout

Got home at 4:16 - just finished downloading and on here at 5:53.
Bumper decals on - hood taped off - sprayed and paper pulled and pics sent to make someone smile:pPhoto2854.jpgPhoto2855.jpgPhoto2858.jpgPhoto2859.jpgPhoto2860.jpgPhoto2861.jpgPhoto2862.jpgPhoto2863.jpgPhoto2864.jpgPhoto2865.jpg pm filters ordered so I screwed off tonight.

cx65083

Oh yea.... weight. I found a 500lb crane for less, but the 16x21's I had picked up earlier were 500 ea. and I didnt want to max out my crane just lifting my spare. So I opted for the 2000lb crane shipped to the door for less than $500. I had the 12x18x 3/4" plate laying around. That helps spread the load out. I used 5/8 grade 5 bolts with 1 1/2" heavy duty washers on the bottom side. If you use a 3/4" plate like I did... invest in a dozen drill bits! I'm sure 1/2" plate would have More than enough. If I had any, I would have used 1/4" on the bottom side. But I think the 3/4 will spread the weight out. I didn't care for the fiction winch that was on it, so I replaced it with a 2500lb boat winch. I have a 3000lb electric coming for it. Mine also pulls out of the base so I can put the bows and cover on.
I went to Iola this year and bought a 1600 super for a spare. Put back the cover. Pull out the last bow. stick the crane in and load her up. Pull the crane, put the bow and cover back in place... and it looks like a regular truck at a show again.
I like Crewcab454's crane. It wont show when tucked away and a cover on it. But with his, you have the put the entire cover AND the sides to use it. On the plus side, his will probably lift LOTS more than mine!

In my opinion, These trucks are 10 times more usable when you can load em up without a forklift!

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Looks like its a lot easier to load them tires without air - than filled with air per Carnac - he sells air by the bucket fullrofl

crewcab454

i used 1/2" plate on top and bottom of the bed. on the bottom the plate is two pieces to go around the runner on the bottom. the crane is rated for 2700lbs. i have picked up almost 2000lbs with it so far. it extends to 18'. you do have to drop the bed side to swing it out the passenger side.

cx65083

Could I trouble you for a pic of the underside?

And based on your mounting, what kind of capacity will you get with that crane/mounting setup? EDIT: Nevermind, I missed your above post
Sure thing. Just ran out and took these.
4th pic is how it sits when the cover is on and the crane lays on its side. I think I need a cover to keep water out of it.

Attachments

Last edited:

zguinness

Thanks for the pics and explanation. Those are both pretty good setups.

machinist - where'd you find the mtvr ladder? I've been looking around for one if the price is right.

cx65083

NICE crane crewcab454! I wish I had a bit more reach. But I did get this crane to load/unload tires. What's the size of your plates? Got any close up pics of the install yet?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks