• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

zout

I grabbed an almost Ice Budweiswer beer - grabbed my ole oil 5 bucket - and sat and stared at the Jokers Wild tonight and pretended I was at the Ga Rally already with all our friends. Waiting for a tire to swap out - need to finish the PM on it yet - but life overcame me tonight and I just wanted to indulge in the fun of owning and having a 5 ton instead of doing anything to it. I found it also talking back to me.

zguinness

That ladder setup is perfect. Now I just need to find the ladder.

Today I was able to squeeze my forearm far enough up the door to get the door latch fixed.

I also started troubleshooting my CTIS. When I first got the truck all 5 lights were blinking. I've fiddled around with it enough to get it down to 1 blinking light. I checked around for leaks but I couldn't find any. I left it running for about 20 minutes and the highway light was blinking the entire time. Every 10-20 seconds I could hear the pneumatic control unit in the cab cycling. The TM says that the blinking light should go away once the tires are at the correct pressure. How long should it take?

I even switched it down to XC to see if the light for that setting would stay steady. When I did that I could hear the air dumping from the tires. So that should mean that I have enough pressure for XC but not enough for highway? I was thinking my next course of action would be to check each tire individually and make sure all the pressures are correct and equal. Then I'll start the truck and see how the CTIS responds.

If anyone has any advice I'd certainly welcome it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
All 5 lights blinking usually means the system did its pressure check and sensed a fill side air leak. The system waits till there is 120psi in your tanks to start operating. You can try cleaning out the little filter catch trap on the air feed to the valve body. The rear wheel valves especially when the are the older style with the metal stem coming out of the hub straight onto the valve leak. They are only held on by compression. You can loosen the bracket a little and then loosen the big brass nut push the whole assembly down a little them tighten it. As the wheel spins the inertia can cause the valve to creep up if its not nice and tight. Press each scrader valve on each of the wheel valves to make sure no one snuck a scrader valve in one of the wheel stems. On the front wheels if you take the shield off, where the fill air comes out of the hub there is an o ring it's a notorious leaker. They are thick but you can just stack 2 generic ones it works fine. Once you make sure there are no leaks take it up on the highway open it up for a few exits. If it goes solid in hwy mode then go down to xc and then back to hwy while driving.

zguinness

Thank you, sir! I'm going to print out your post at work tomorrow and check all the things you mentioned after work.

I WILL GET THIS CTIS WORKING.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you have any questions you can pm me I have learned the system and how to fix it and I have a large collection of spare parts for it.
Will

zguinness

Sounds good. I appreciate it. I've been reading through old threads here and the TMs trying to troubleshoot the system. I think I've made a little headway but I'm still not there yet. Thanks again! Zach

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I grabbed an almost Ice Budweiswer beer - grabbed my ole oil 5 bucket - and sat and stared at the Jokers Wild tonight and pretended I was at the Ga Rally already with all our friends. Waiting for a tire to swap out - need to finish the PM on it yet - but life overcame me tonight and I just wanted to indulge in the fun of owning and having a 5 ton instead of doing anything to it. I found it also talking back to me.
Your truck is really looking good!!!

HASSON1911

Im thinking about doing this but haven't, and is curious has anybody changed the locks on the m939 tailgate to the old hooks that the deuce had? Not a big deal I just don't like these new ones

zout

Been thinkin of a way to to get that spare tire down so I can change out the RF steer - I was looking at regular chain falls at Northern Equip but I was checking out the corner of my eye this ELEC 12v winch with a remote - seeing as my Generator has its 12v battery there plus all the deep cycle batteries for the RV - I was persuaded to purchase - besides there was a new cashier there I wanted to check out.

I will make a mount plate on the crane arm lower bracket - get a V pulley to run the winch cable through and have it hooked to the spare on a full time basis (Deb can always make a new winch cover) and then the remote will be on the passenger side where the gen battery is and get that volunteer (you guessed it - DEB) to watch as the tire comes down - ain't no way I am putting that remote in her hands with me underneath.

Winch was $79 and less than the really cheap chain fall - its capable of 2,000 pull but this will be far less than that and it has GOBS of cable to make the tire hit the ground - heck - I can just drag a tire around the other side of the truck and down the side and up onto the tire holder - woah baby.
Recovery 4x4 - now ya have no excuse to not get a 5 ton - drag them brake drums all day long with this baby.

Will get started on it maybe tomorrow night getting the mount bracket cut out and hopefully welded into place.

I did find where the RF steer was loosing air - the ctis tube off the hub mount bracket was broken away - someone probably one time or other over tightened the two bolts for it - CTIS is history anyhow.Photo2873.jpgPhoto2874.jpgPhoto2875.jpgPhoto2876.jpgPhoto2877.jpg

zout

Winch installed and wired in - sheve pully coming today to hook to the crane ring to run the cable through as to not damage it and also help reduce the lifting weight.

A word from my sponsor.

Reason I tossed that pic of the 3 jugs laying on the ground - the night before they were all standing upright - when I got down there last night they were all laying down in the same direction ?? go figure - nothing I did and garage is fully alarmed and trip wired.Photo2878.jpgPhoto2879.jpgPhoto2880.jpgPhoto2881.jpgPhoto2882.jpg

zguinness

Reason I tossed that pic of the 3 jugs laying on the ground - the night before they were all standing upright - when I got down there last night they were all laying down in the same direction ?? go figure - nothing I did and garage is fully alarmed and trip wired.
25376-aliens-meme-aVwp.jpeg

Started wiring up my inverter and I finally got the CTIS working! :naner:

zout

NOpe - wrong answer - the ONLY thing I do not know where it is - is your dang WC windshield screws to this day and I fully believe Lloyd had some part in it. It was around the same time he had stuff MIA as well. Otherwise I know how - where - everything is in the garage and how I left it - just odd is all (where were you last night again Lloyd) :hammer:

zout

Got the spare down on the ground - now I really need the Chiropractor or a surgeon - but its on the ground and a lot closer to the RF steer - sleep brings relief (yeah right) and Sat is a new day to attack. Winch works sweetPhoto2883.jpgPhoto2884.jpgPhoto2891.jpgPhoto2892.jpgPhoto2893.jpgPhoto2894.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks