• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Lonnie

Did a coolant flush today.
Drained, refilled & ran it till hot, repeated this 4 times until it was clear.

Those little drain petcocks should be larger considering they have to drain 8 gallons of fluid.

Last edited:

zout

It gets down to freezing here in Ga - but does take long to thaw as well w/no plans to run when its that cold - something to consider as well.
Cold and Heat also make your rim "give" allowing the valve cores to be leaking as well as the O rings. Just as any metal does under heat and cold.

Here is the link to see if it fits your needs: http://www.deltatiresealant.com/tire_sealants.php

zout

Forgot to mention - I had some Acid Bright to clean the aluminum and corrosion off the muffler guard and piping yesterday.

I put it on without thinning it down - full strength.
The pipe and guard with its previous paint came off in stages - the Behr Ultra paint never gave up and withstood the acid - no stains
no etching it off - nothing - the guard and pipe got cleaned perfectly.

I was amazed at that Behr paint taking this abuse and I thougth for sure I would be doing some touch up after cleaning - nothing to touch up.
Just thought I would toss this in.

lavarok

don't you have run flat tires on your truck
also doesn't the sealant make a mess out of the rims...I was always told not to use it on my vehicles due to the mess it makes
I have used green slime on my ATVs with success
I dont know if there is a run flat inside or just a beadlock. Either way it wasn't holding air and the soap test indicated a bead leak. I swapped it out with the spare and will break it down sometime in the future. My son and I broke down two M35A3 combat rims with tires yesterday..the hardest part of the job was removing the nuts holding the lock ring in place. Even with a 1" impact and lots of pb blaster, a few nuts required some heat.

Cruceno

zguinness

The local Home Depot did a salute to veteran's this weekend. I cleaned up the 5 ton and brought her out for my veteran's association.

That's me in the brown jacket and that older gentleman I'm talking to is one of our WWII vets. He was in the Navy and saw action in the Philippines.

994929_593151260743045_1205010514_n.jpg

Oh... I forgot something funny. When I arrived one of the Home Depot guys asked if I could park at the front of one of the parking lanes. He says "You think your truck would stop cars from driving down this way?"

I was like "Uh... yeah I'm pretty sure it will"

Last edited:

zout

I went all out tonight with no holds barred and got my Cobra CB radio installed - it was a heavy task but I endured. Now to figure out why I cannot hear anyone.
Just want to listen to the truckers bitch on the way down to Columbus Sat and how miserable all their lives are. Breaker 1-9.

I have a 7 bank 120 amp hr each battery in the M909 box so I just tap off the 12v system back there - gets charged with the Gen or Shoreline anyhow.

dburt

MVC-001S.JPGMVC-003S.JPGMVC-011S.JPGMVC-006S.JPG

Been working on a 'mobil hunting lodge' for the 813 for most of the summer, and got it pretty much together last month. I have a portable 5500 KW gen-set that I can place between the cab and the lower front of the camper, plus room for extra water or fuel containers. I have the NATO Solorgizer maintainer for the truck batteries, and a portable 45-watt solar panel setup for the camper batteries. The back porch is just a whimsical addition so I can back it over a nice trout stream and sit on the porch with my fishing pole doing all the hard work for me!:wink:

dburt

Always wanted to do a back porch on a special 'RV' every since a friend of mine put a huge fixed back porch on his '56 Ford school bus turned RV. It was so long his rear wheels ended up being in the middle of the rig. But he could back into a space in campground in the woods and have one end over the trout stream and the other end almost to the road. Looked kinda' funny but it was sorta' cool too! I figured I better have mine fold up so it would not stick out so far when traveling. Opened up, it measures about 6 feet long by 7 feet wide.

dburt

JWes I like your front dually idea, I have a friend who is going to do that to his 923 just to see if it would work better getting around in the woods for logging and fire fighting in extreme conditions like mud, really rough terrain, etc. Only thing I have wondered about is the added strain and stress on the front outer axle components such as knuckles, bearings, etc. He was going to build some spacers or special offset rims so that the front would line up better with the rear axle track. It will be interesting to see what you learn from your experiment.

RedBlok

I added locking door handles, rear license plate light and holder, fabricated at front license plate holder, titled and registered my M923a2 in the Commonwealth of VA. State inspection next after I fix the left rear marker light. Keyed battery disconnect is next along with adding a 24 volt fused block so I can add in some LED lights. Have to do it on the down low or else my wife will figure out that this is my next new hobby

zout

Well I have had all the metal for a few weeks now to build the trailer hitch on the rear - also have two LED headlight assemblies to replace the OEM lights in it.

Will be picking up the tandem axle trailer in the near future and rid myself of one jeep out of the garage and then get started on the hitch while I also do another members trailer for his CUCV project - need the trailer I will be running at home so I can get all my measurements specifically to run this tandem - will get some pics in as soon as it starts.

TacticalDoc

Well I have had all the metal for a few weeks now to build the trailer hitch on the rear - also have two LED headlight assemblies to replace the OEM lights in it.

Will be picking up the tandem axle trailer in the near future and rid myself of one jeep out of the garage and then get started on the hitch while I also do another members trailer for his CUCV project - need the trailer I will be running at home so I can get all my measurements specifically to run this tandem - will get some pics in as soon as it starts.

might want to just buy a hitch already made that will fit the frame ... I think late 70s ford 350s have the same frame width
curt makes class IV and V hitches 33 inch wide

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks