• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you tell me where you picked up the holder/ yellow hoist plate? I'm not getting any younger and i could see that saving future back pain. :)

That is the HubHelper that I designed and produce in small batches. My classifieds ad expired when I wasn't paying attention after 30 days of not "bumping" a response to the ad. Wrecking our backs is the main reason I started making them and I make them for CUCV, 2.5 ton, 5 ton, and 10 ton.
20191113_213417.jpg

Here is my first thread about them.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/introducing-the-soldier-b-hubhelper.182544/

I think I have a few in the basement but I'm not sure what models those are.

The cost of making them has gone up since the last batch i made so I need to reevaluate the pricing and get another ad put up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is the HubHelper that I designed and produce in small batches. My classifieds ad expired when I wasn't paying attention after 30 days of not "bumping" a response to the ad. Wrecking our backs is the main reason I started making them and I make them for CUCV, 2.5 ton, 5 ton, and 10 ton.
View attachment 862887

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/introducing-the-soldier-b-hubhelper.182544/

The cost of making them has gone up since the last batch i made so I need to reevaluate the pricing and get another ad put up.
Be sure to put up an ad. I finally have a patch of concrete that I can use my floor jack on. I have a 5-Ton and then I need to get something that will work with these LMTV's (M107x & M108x) that I have too and it might be useful to have one for the 7-Ton (MK23) too. Seems that I am not getting any younger these days...

@Mike929 - Our guy @US6x4 just posted about the yellow piece for removing hubs. Link is just above...

Last edited:

KN6KXR

View attachment 862887

Certainly I would be interested in a 2.5 and 5 ton set. I have three CTIS seal sets on my M936 that need replacement at the moment. My 2.5 ton will be here about summertime so I see both of these tools being a good investment for me. Like the axle sockets for the trucks.

I would also be interested in a bolt up angle iron that ran along the top of drum and you could strap to the drum far side. That piece would have a hole, or series of them, that would be right over the CG of the assembly and you could put a shackle in. Picking it with a cherry picker or tractor would be a snap then. Between the bracket on the bottom and the one on the top one could use either floor jack or cherry picker as the setting called for it. For the front on the M936 I could use the crane....

Do me a favor drop me a PM when you have them I don't get in the classifieds a lot. Thanks.

Ajax MD

Needless to say, the price of fuel has put a hitch in my giddyup. I'm driving my FMV's less frequently.

After at least a month, I fired up the M813 and took a maintenance drive after a thorough pre-check. I received more friendly waves than usual for deep blue Maryland. Even in a static condition in the yard the trucks can keep you occupied with endless preventative maintenance tasks.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I did this today on my fuel pump...wasn't a good feeling when it gave way. I'm thinking I'll shave the nub down flush and tap it for a male to male pipe nipple. Typically I prefer female nipples, but this has a decent chance of fixing it.

20220411_173035.jpg

Micmada

View attachment 862887

I use a motorcycle rolling stand to do this job but it is difficult to keep things straight in and out. It would be interesting to design a part to straighten the hub to the brakes.

Micmada

My pressure brake lights switch went out. I ordered what seemed to be the last OEM part to replace it on the internet for $30. Local truck shop has some for 12V systems for $8. A switch is a switch so I left the $8 one on to see how it works out, if not I will put the $30 if it cooks up or if there is a short, the only concern is the switch only works at around 75 or 80 Psi of pressure , which is quite high.

Apparently the internet ran out of the 10 lug combat rim half studs. One of mine got jacked and I had to scavenge off of a spare rim. Eastern suggested using the one for the hemtt and soldering it. I ordered it but there is quite a huge tolerance at the groves. It might difficult to center it but I suppose not absolutely necessary.

As they say, if your boyfriend is working on cars and not military trucks, you might have a girlfriend.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had changed fuel filters on my M54A1, and she was running a little rough. Probably some crap dislodged in the process.

Poured a pint of Superzilla in the tank, and in 5 minutes run time, it smoothed out just fine. Quit smoking so much, too.

I was skeptical about this juice, but it does say it will do just that for fuel system problems.

I saw it was marketed for the ultimate penetrating oil, and it does that better than anything else I've used. That is what I bought it for.

No shilling going on here. Amazon has it.

DG

Micmada

I had changed fuel filters on my M54A1, and she was running a little rough. Probably some crap dislodged in the process.

Poured a pint of Superzilla in the tank, and in 5 minutes run time, it smoothed out just fine. Quit smoking so much, too.

I was skeptical about this juice, but it does say it will do just that for fuel system problems.

I saw it was marketed for the ultimate penetrating oil, and it does that better than anything else I've used. That is what I bought it for.

No shilling going on here. Amazon has it.

DG
You might have to change again the filters since it might have cleaned parts of the tank and sent stuff to the filters. This is what a car mechanic told me about fuel system cleaners and boosters when my car was vapor locking in New Mexico at high altitude in summers. It works for a while and the fuel filter would clog up and cause more vapor locking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks