• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Micmada

Finally got the new tires on.
It's a workout alright. Glad when I got done with mine. I still have a few bugs here and there.

The other day I went mudding and the following day the tire was losing air. I could not find a leak and reinflated it hammering around and it is now holding air, lost only 2lbs in 48 hours. Not sure what happened.

KN6KXR

I recently put a gun together for the sole purpose of looking cool in my truck and got the mounts bolted in a few days ago
I'd love to put one im my M936A2 but where the heck did they go? The transmission tower, CTIS and winch tower are really in the way.

Meanwhile I got some used CTIS ECU's and looks like my system is back in action. I'm never going to find the 90psi ECU looks they are gone all snapped up so am loking to tool up to see if I can reprogram. Always something.....

Crf450x

Looks like the real deal - I like it. Did I miss a thread where you installed a manual tranny?
You must have. It’s been a while now.

I'd love to put one im my M936A2 but where the heck did they go? The transmission tower, CTIS and winch tower are really in the way.

Meanwhile I got some used CTIS ECU's and looks like my system is back in action. I'm never going to find the 90psi ECU looks they are gone all snapped up so am loking to tool up to see if I can reprogram. Always something.....
I’m not really sure where they’re actually supposed to go but I put mine toward the passenger side near the grab handle. I know it would clear the shifter/ctis but I’m not sure on the winch controls. I’ll trade you my gun and mounts for your winch if you want rofl

DeMilitarized

From what I have read is that the M939a2 series 5 ton CTIS controllers cannot be reprogrammed but LMTVs can.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they brighter than the amazon special light kits?
I'm not familiar with the Amazon kit, but I can for SURE tell you they light up the world!

20220415_204649.jpg

20220415_204635.jpg

And the search lights are just as bright

Also, I'm pretty sure the Amazon kit doesn't have infrared.... (cell phone cameras can pick up IR).

20220415_205101.jpg

It also has a dimming function on the controller...

KN6KXR

From what I have read is that the M939a2 series 5 ton CTIS controllers cannot be reprogrammed but LMTVs can.
If you have a 676422 or 676603 then they came with both J1708 and J1939 communications protocols. AFAIK older units did not. The newer units were black boxes instead of green. My truck came with a 676422 and three bad hub seals. I got it working for a minute then the controller went dead. Looking for a 676603 but they appear to be all gone. That's the 90psi one for the wrecker. The 676422 was 70/80 unit but folks have talked to them. So I'm now looking for another 676422 to program. Whether or not it's wired over to the STE/ICE connector I do not know may have to pin it myself. On a side note it may be possible that the only difference in the FMTV/LMTV controller is the label marking are upside down one may want to consider that. The larger thing may be if it's a 2 channel or one channel system. My truck has a one channel (3 solenoid) system even though the data plate says X-C front and rear should be 60/30psi which would be a 2 channel system (5 solenoids) so I'm probably never going to achieve that the hardware just isn't there. Guess the guys at RSMS just slapped the plate on and kicked it out the door (I'm finding a bunch of stuff like this). Regardless I'm going to need a Dearborn protocol adapter to go after it and those aren't cheap might get the military version. If it doesn't work out take it to a swap meet and pass it to another with a better use. Anyways this crap gets real complicated which is why it's kinda tough and confusing spent hours reading and only scratched the surface.....

Meanwhile got my pyrometer and boost gauge set from TMG. Once I get that in I can goof with the fuel. The wrecker could use all the help it can get. I don't need a break in traffic I need a damn runway! Given it's loaded all the time figured I'd better do this straight away the consequences are out of my pocketbook depth. Pretty busy with the truck as I just got it last year. I like my stuff right and tight maybe in another year it'll be where I want it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Micmada

“What have you done with THEIR 5 ton this week….”

So, I am in a Guard unit of a branch that does not deal much in combat mode with trucks in general (hint) but my admin crew happens to be responsible/own for a FMTV in motor pool that has been neglected. Since they heard I had a truck they sent me to have a look at it and report discrepancies to maintenance….

First they had too much engine oil and not enough coolant. I started the engine and it rattled really bad but smoothed aout after 2 min. Obviously it had not been started in months and the cylinders were dry. It was really cringy. The tranny level came up to barely the min level too. The lights at first would not work either. For some reason it took 5 min for the system to “warm up” and lights finally started blinking as they should what not.

I checked the belts and there were all kinds of wasps coming out the engine side because mason wasps and yellow jackets had taken residence on the engine block. Upon looking at the cab area I also found the cab was not latched and a mason wasp nest was lodging in it. I tried to raise the cab up and down a bit to latch it but it was raising with difficulty. The air-hydraulic power manifold over the latch started spewing puffs of clouds of hydraulics and started leaking. The cab finally raised itself properly, so proceeded to admire a bit the tough but abused Catterpillar engine that now was purring ok, and then I cleaned the nest and brought the cab down but it still would not latch with the indicator sticking out. If I understand the hydraulic pressure hose going to the latch should power it in the latched and unlatched position.

In that condition I did not want to drive it and so I called motorpool and they were like. ” Nah, too much oil? No big deal, and look coolant expanded out. The latch? It’s supposedto have the red indicator latch out {like, I was, wtf} but it matters not, it does not go on missions, just drive it around the hangars for 10 miles there is no traffic, Oh, by the way, you do not have to do all this, you could get hurt raising the cab what not, we do not want you to do that… you know,, this is the worst and oldest truck we have from 2003 and pass 20 years we get rid of them, because they are POS” {hmmm… was that a CYA hypocrite statement that I was bothering them, making them work} .

Wow. There you have it, the government for yah. Be advised next time you get on auction an FMTV, regarding the TLC it will need, people are not too kind on them round these parts. I definite would dump a bunch of Zddp in the oil and maybe spray some in cylinders before starting them. As for me, driving it, I was wondering if I could pin the cab. There are some pins and slots under the cab on each side. I wonder if it is for transportation. I am tempted to pin the cab next time I drive it, I do not want it to keel over in case I have to stop hard. Not sure if it is recommended. Of course I officially grounded the truck on paper due to the lack of latching and I will see if they fix it, but I have my doubts although his boss did thank me for the “thorough” inspection because an annual was coming up.

The question I had, though, was about the dog bone torque rods on FMTV, they seem to be hard bearings to pack and not rubber types as on the M900 series truck, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
“What have you done with THEIR 5 ton this week….”

So, I am in a Guard unit of a branch that does not deal much in combat mode with trucks in general (hint) but my admin crew happens to be responsible/own for a FMTV in motor pool that has been neglected. Since they heard I had a truck they sent me to have a look at it and report discrepancies to maintenance….

First they had too much engine oil and not enough coolant. I started the engine and it rattled really bad but smoothed aout after 2 min. Obviously it had not been started in months and the cylinders were dry. It was really cringy. The tranny level came up to barely the min level too. The lights at first would not work either. For some reason it took 5 min for the system to “warm up” and lights finally started blinking as they should what not.

I checked the belts and there were all kinds of wasps coming out the engine side because mason wasps and yellow jackets had taken residence on the engine block. Upon looking at the cab area I also found the cab was not latched and a mason wasp nest was lodging in it. I tried to raise the cab up and down a bit to latch it but it was raising with difficulty. The air-hydraulic power manifold over the latch started spewing puffs of clouds of hydraulics and started leaking. The cab finally raised itself properly, so proceeded to admire a bit the tough but abused Catterpillar engine that now was purring ok, and then I cleaned the nest and brought the cab down but it still would not latch with the indicator sticking out. If I understand the hydraulic pressure hose going to the latch should power it in the latched and unlatched position.

In that condition I did not want to drive it and so I called motorpool and they were like. ” Nah, too much oil? No big deal, and look coolant expanded out. The latch? It’s supposedto have the red indicator latch out {like, I was, wtf} but it matters not, it does not go on missions, just drive it around the hangars for 10 miles there is no traffic, Oh, by the way, you do not have to do all this, you could get hurt raising the cab what not, we do not want you to do that… you know,, this is the worst and oldest truck we have from 2003 and pass 20 years we get rid of them, because they are POS” {hmmm… was that a CYA hypocrite statement that I was bothering them, making them work} .

Wow. There you have it, the government for yah. Be advised next time you get on auction an FMTV, regarding the TLC it will need, people are not too kind on them round these parts. I definite would dump a bunch of Zddp in the oil and maybe spray some in cylinders before starting them. As for me, driving it, I was wondering if I could pin the cab. There are some pins and slots under the cab on each side. I wonder if it is for transportation. I am tempted to pin the cab next time I drive it, I do not want it to keel over in case I have to stop hard. Not sure if it is recommended. Of course I officially grounded the truck on paper due to the lack of latching and I will see if they fix it, but I have my doubts although his boss did thank me for the “thorough” inspection because an annual was coming up.

The question I had, though, was about the dog bone torque rods on FMTV, they seem to be hard bearings to pack and not rubber types as on the M900 series truck, if I am not mistaken.
CAT motors always clank and sound like crap on first start up. 3116s all the way to C18s

They use a solid socket type so that they don't fall apart like the 5 ton torque rods.

Micmada

CAT motors always clank and sound like crap on first start up. 3116s all the way to C18s

They use a solid socket type so that they don't fall apart like the 5 ton torque rods.
Interesting. Anyway one could replace the 5 ton torque rods with solid socket types?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that I did that this week, but I did find this old photo today.

The old girl is hauling panels of 1" thick Maple flooring panels I cut from the floor of a remodeled Scottsdale gym.

I did 4 loads like this, if anyone needs 60-year old tongue & groove...

Each one weighs in @ 1,500lbs.

DG

Dance around the Maple.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I took my truck to the local Touch-a-Truck event to let kids check it out, climb up in it, and flip switches and stuff. It was so busy that I was only able to snap some photos before and after the main event.

View attachment 868208

View attachment 868209

View attachment 868210
I am so much looking forward to our local library hosting a Touch-A-Truck event here in Charlotte! I have recruited several other kinds of trucks that are Customers of ours. Really looking forward to having a big time doing that next month!!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in the process of changing out a lower rear torque rod bushing. What a PITA.... Between the paint and gunk on the bolts (which I wire brushed in an attempt to clean them), ratcheting the axel into position so I can access the bolts around the torque rod... it's fighting me every step of the way.

It has stalled out a 1/2" and 3/4" drive impacts (electric) and accessing the top of the bolts... 🤦‍♂️

My uncle is coming this morning with his service truck which has a 1" impact and air compressor and, if that doesn't work, a cutting torch.

I have to replace the bolts and nuts any way as the threads on the old ones are shot.

20220519_062347.jpg

20220520_134602.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks