• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys I have a question please don’t beat me up to bad I’m looking at this M813a1. The guy is telling me it’s always in 6x6 no front axel disconnect. Are they like that or is there an issue with this one? My 900 series had a switch as well as my A3. No I did not download and read the TM’S because if I don’t buy one that useless. I tried to search but no avail just curious thank you guys.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they're not modified, they're always in 6x6. There's no manual front engagement switch like other models have. There's a sprag (overrun) clutch in the t-case that let's the front sorta freewheel until the rear axles start spinning faster than the front and then it engages. The pneumatics can be modified to prevent the front from engaging.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm considering putting a flatbed on my M814. I was wondering if any of you have done this, if so I would love to see a picture of it. I think it would be more functional since the 20'cargo beds don't have fold down sides , but I don't want to do it if it makes the truck look all funny since I've never seen one if these with a flatbed. Thanks to anyone who may respond with a picture.
The 20ft iso beds have removable sides

Attachments

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've inadvertently gotten into beekeeping this week with one of my 5 tons. The bees have been impressively busy for only such a short time but allegedly this isn't the first time for this truck to attract a swarm. Fortunately, one of my guys had the equipment and experience to relocate them safely and score some fresh honey in the process. He was able to grab 10 frame of comb for the hive, max he could carry out, and the rest was for an afternoon treat.

Attachments

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20230611_144221.jpg

Began patching and rust remediation. Want to get this rig on the road ASAP so until my welding skills improve I'm experimenting with Loctite Tite Foam for big gaps. It's sandable and paintable but I'll likely have to skim coat it before the finish coat. Used cardboard to create a gap between the inner and outer surfaces but in retrospect it would have been easier to have applied the foam from within. Haven't sanded it yet, but so far it seems to be the real deal. Ultimately I'll replace the fenders but for now this gets me down the road...and next time I'll read the directions because two days later I'm still pealing this stuff of my hands, gotta get me some acetone.

20230611_144231.jpg20230611_144244.jpg20230611_144315.jpg20230613_125123.jpg

20230613_125117.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 899618

Began patching and rust remediation. Want to get this rig on the road ASAP so until my welding skills improve I'm experimenting with Loctite Tite Foam for big gaps. It's sandable and paintable but I'll likely have to skim coat it before the finish coat. Used cardboard to create a gap between the inner and outer surfaces but in retrospect it would have been easier to have applied the foam from within. Haven't sanded it yet, but so far it seems to be the real deal. Ultimately I'll replace the fenders but for now this gets me down the road...and next time I'll read the directions because two days later I'm still pealing this stuff of my hands, gotta get me some acetone.

View attachment 899619View attachment 899620View attachment 899621View attachment 899623

View attachment 899622
Well... I really gotta see how this stuff "sands out".
I mean it doesn't need to be showroom quality...

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locktite Foaming Filler for Big Gaps Update;

Success, this stuff works. Although it's sand-able and paint-able best practice is to skim coat with filler. The product is porous and absorbs sprayed paint, takes allot of paint to fill the pores. I'm currently experimenting with brushed on paint elsewhere on the rig.
Please no 5-Ton Barbie cracks, although oddly striking it was just an undercoat. This is a "cleaning-out-the-workshop-rattlecan-restoration...ish-project" and I'm using up leftovers before the finish coat. The finish coat is Rustoleum Camouflage, which is a pretty good match to whatever my patina is after 47 years of weathering., some parts look blueish others look green with one door in desert sand.

1Beforeafter.jpg
2Fen.jpg
3fen.jpg
4fen.jpg
5fen.jpg
7fen.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not my 5-Ton but Youtube Casey's Offroad Recovery posted a video showing him changing the tire on his rig.
I'm putting together my tire changing kit, what size jack-stands should I be looking for?

5 Ton Jack Stands will work well for a 5-Ton truck.

Be careful / Be aware that if you go to Harbor Freight, there is a RECALL

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I don't have to worry about supporting the full weight of the rig?
Correct.

Then you need to consider that how high do you need to lift the truck... I may be "chicken" but I never raise the center part of the jack stand more than half way. If you need more height, the next step up is a 7-Ton stand. Makes a wider base and adds about 50% height.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 Ton Jack Stands will work well for a 5-Ton truck.

Be careful / Be aware that if you go to Harbor Freight, there is a RECALL
If I thinking correctly I think jack stands are rated per pair? If so 5 ton stands could be too light for a 5 ton truck depending on which axle, cargo load and truck variant.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If I thinking correctly I think jack stands are rated per pair? If so 5 ton stands could be too light for a 5 ton truck depending on which axle, cargo load and truck variant.
So I went out in the shop. Got a pair of mine sitting in the screen room. Pictures attached. I purchased these when I left the company I worked for. We worked on the 5-Tons and Deuces at that place of business. Didn't really remember if they "were weighted" in pairs or not. So..... I went out on the web to look it up. I found six ton stands - by MatCoTools rather than Mac and under SPECIFICATIONS - you are right @Jbulach . X Tons Per Pair.

Having said that though, I spent enough years using these stands to know that even with a derrick mounted on the back I wouldn't believe they would be overloaded.

As mentioned in #9,757 though, I would definitely NOT extend the "stand" but about half as high as what you see here.

MAC JS5A - 1.jpg MAC JS5A - 2.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks