• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Valor

Using the common body ground, the new one has no reading at any setting. At the 2M setting on my multimeter my ohm reading on the old solenoid is all over the place on either pin or the body.
Check the windings with ah ohm meter with one probe grounded to the solenoid body, separate from the truck ground. You want to see if there might be a short in the windings. There should be infinite ohms, no continuity. If there is some, that means there is a short and pulling down the voltage to operate the solenoid.

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gutted the old fuel shutoff solenoid on my M813 to turn it into a full manual valve and now the engine won't start.
Figure I've lost prime in the lift pump as this is the first time I've had the shutoff valve side of the fuel circuit disconnected. When I had the supply side off for troubleshooting filters, lines and the pickup tube all I had to do was use a transfer pump to pull fuel through the filter then screw the supply line back into the lift pump and she'd start within 10 seconds.
The threads I've seen for priming an NHC250 pump show an actual manual pump which my rig doesn't have.
Is there anyway to manually prime the Lift Pump on my M813 to save my starter?

msgjd

The threads I've seen for priming an NHC250 pump show an actual manual pump which my rig doesn't have.
Is there anyway to manually prime the Lift Pump on my M813 to save my starter?
unfortunately that's the nature of the M809-series , losing prime is easy once their system is opened up.. Changing a fuel filter beside the road without having a can of fuel to fill the filter can is impossible unless you have a hose and like the taste diesel fuel , and even then, priming is still a bear.. I have always wanted at the very least to put a check valve on the M809's, or better-yet an electric bypass-type pump just for priming .. Another trick is to have a fuel tank filler cap with an air fitting (and pressure regulator) to force the fuel up out of the tank , and i clamp the rubber part of the return hose with vice grips.. The setup also gives you an excuse to make a carry-along air hose with gladhand for such occasion and for tires .. The ultimate "fix" I have seen on an M809-series is the commercial spin-on fuel filter head having an integral manual priming pump.. Old Caterpillar engines had a similar goodie as well, but in time tended to leak around the primer shaft and suck air

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks