• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received my rear tandems s-cam air brake kit! Some assembly required, your parents have to put it together ;) It even comes with brand new seals and wheelstuds!
DSC_0001.jpgDSC_0004.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

All wrapped in this neat little (946 lbs.) package.
DSC_0003.jpg

Wait, wait, wait.
MyothersanM1. what IS that train set in the background? Uh, that looks pretty serious.

Yep. I confess. I am also an garden railroader. I have two sicknesses ;) Most likely when I am not posting here, I am turning my attention to the outdoor pike.

Last edited:

ke5eua

I received my rear tandems s-cam air brake kit! Some assembly required, your parents have to put it together ;) It even comes with brand new seals and wheelstuds!
View attachment 558888View attachment 558885View attachment 558887

All wrapped in this neat little (946 lbs.) package.
View attachment 558886

Yep. I confess. I am also an garden railroader. I have two sicknesses ;) Most likely when I am not posting here, I am turning my attention to the outdoor pike.
I hate to ask how much that set you back and I'm guessing your upgrading hydraulic brakes?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to ask how much that set you back and I'm guessing your upgrading hydraulic brakes?
I will be completely removing the hydraulic brake system to include the air-pack and master cylinder. I have been contemplating and studying dual circuit air brakes for some time now. Even the most well maintained single circuit brake system can have dire results when there is a catastrophic failure. I just want to err on this side of caution. So, off we go.

The kit was supplied through Cariboo 6X6 out of British Columbia
http://www.cariboo6x6.com/p/air-brakes.html. He gets them from an east coast supplier. They are pretty pricey, but I feel safety is more paramount at this point if I want to keep my truck especially in a overly litigious society. I am looking at this as more of an investment.

archmark

GREAT pix! My M934 was just delivered a couple of hours ago from Ft. Sam/San Antonio by airbornebandsman. What a guy, he even had his better half following in the hybrid pace car (on the Day of the Mothers no less) and had one of his kidlets riding shotgun way up high with him. Between airborne and 98G, you couldn't ask for a better couple of individuals to make a recovery for you should you need one.

My M185A3 is dwarfed next to the M934 and all I keep wondering is what I've gotten myself into...

Mark

archmark

It was getting dark when the Beast arrived, but after talking to airbornebandsman and giving it a brief inspection via flashlight, and for the little I know about the creature, it looks pretty **** good. I guess it should, with less than 900 miles on the clock since a 1996 depot rebuild. Not a drop of any fluid anywhere underneath, all the tires look new right down to the nubs, no ABS indicator light burning bright, both boarding ladders and all the leveling legs. The GP sticker had an original sales price to Uncle Sucker of $137K and airborne figures that the depot rebuild was probably $70K, so we the dumb taxpayers initially shelled out in the neighborhood of $200K for this particular ride. Doesn't make sense, but then we are talking about the gub'ment...

Mark

zout

sorry no pics as I was tooo busy getting Joker down to the back yard whilst borrowing my neighbors Case 75XT skid steer clearing trees out of the way and brush - it started going off a deep embankment sideways in slow motion - grabbed the 5 ton and got the chain on it - pulled it back out like a marshmellow while I kept watching the steer tires getting high off the ground starting to go - it was only moments before she would have been on it side or up side down. Reason for no pic's - no one else was around to watch the fun.

Another Ahab

sorry no pics as I was tooo busy getting Joker down to the back yard whilst borrowing my neighbors Case 75XT skid steer clearing trees out of the way and brush - it started going off a deep embankment sideways in slow motion - grabbed the 5 ton and got the chain on it - pulled it back out like a marshmellow while I kept watching the steer tires getting high off the ground starting to go - it was only moments before she would have been on it side or up side down. Reason for no pic's - no one else was around to watch the fun.
It's always more fun to read about somebody else's nightmare, than enjoying the thrill of your own nightmare (happening to you in "real time").

It'd been fun to see a cardiologist print-out of your heart rate during that episode.

Glad you pulled off the save!

heart.jpg

Another Ahab

Ireplaced the front shackle that disappeared somewhere on the road to the Socal Rally a couple weeks ago.
A real good reason to think twice about motorcycles; taking them to the street is a lot like Russian Roulette (full disclosure; I sold mine shortly after dropping it on the road in a turn doing 30 MPH).

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the 4 lower torque alignment rods last night. I've got to source 2 more so I can replace the uppers.

20150512_213532.jpg

20150512_213602.jpg

These will receive far more scrutiny in the future.

20150512_220702.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What made you think to do that; was there a problem you were noticing or something?
As Coffey said, I had one pop off and in the most dreaded place...on the road in traffic. And yes, while I couldn't see it because it was dark, I could tell something was moving around that shouldn't be. It felt like a looseness in the steering but I could hear that the problem was in the back. The forward rear driverside tire was making contact with the front mud flap bracket. By the time I made it to the parking lot l, the axle had repositioned itself and the dogbone was partially back in place. It had to be completely separated at some point though since the tire made contact with the forward mudflap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks