• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Truckoholic

Got my new cylinder liner and piston put in my M925A1 today. But was halted because my new head gasket hasn't got here yet. Hate that when progress stops just because a part isn't here yet. I could make a 4 hour round trip to Portland where they have one in stock. Otherwise I have to wait to Friday for the one I already have coming. Ha ha.

So excited to get this thing running again. Decided while I have it apart that I'm going to put the turbo on it that I've been holding onto for a few years now just in case I got another one of these things. Got the turbo, the manifold, and have a couple different fuel buttons coming as well as exhaust parts. So yeah, I have not even driven this truck yet, and it will be turbo charged the first time I do. My last M925A1 made me realize how much I had to have a turbo. Just never got around to putting one on that one. But this time, I'm doing it!

Attachments

Finally got my Frankencab converted over to all LED lighting and added cab marker lights in a way that looks like it was meant to be.

It's been an ongoing process for weeks though lol.IMG_1708.jpgIMG_1716.jpgIMG_1722.jpgIMG_1728.jpg

The new LED headlights from Trucklite look fantastic and very bright.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Built my fuel filter adapter for my A0 (NHC250) .... The original housing was filled with rust and gunk... so much so that the petcock on the bottom to let water out was completely plugged.

Had to weld up an inverted flare to barbed connector, otherwise I'd have to use like 6 fittings to get there...

Added a fuel shutoff valve as an easy anti-theft measure, and added a T so I can prefill the filters without making a mess, when they need changing...

Got the filters too.... Installing tomorrow..

Noticed my power steering hose is split...NOT good...but not leaking....

Luckily I have a great local shop that will make me a new hose for around $20 and be done in 10 minutes...

Attachments

Truckoholic

I installed some H4 conversion headlights. Want LEDs but still too expensive for me. Lubed the entire truck, checked all the fluids. Happy that I've been driving it around in the woods behind my house a little for the past couple days after replacing my broken cylinder liner and piston, and the engine oil is still perfectly clear with no signs of water in it at all. Can't wait for the DMV to open tomorrow so I can go register this thing and start driving it on the highway. I got it insured with Geico the other day for only $41 a month. The commercial policy guy was really friendly and said "we insure a lot of these trucks". I mounted a flag for the sand dunes. Installed a nice big fire extinguisher. Played around with the winch yesterday by parking my Chevy suburban out in my field and dragging it back to me. I installed a number 20 fuel button. Got rid of my muffler (goin to to a 6 inch straight stack on it this coming week, yes it's loud but I love it). Was going to put my turbo on it, but ran into trouble getting the exhaust manifold to fit, so I decided to mess with that later. I put a few heavy tow chains, a jack and some other tools in the tool boxes and got some pad locks to keep them from running off. This truck is in great shape! All of the diffs are filled with super clean oil and the transmission has nice clean, transmission fluid that is where it should be. Very happy with this one now that I've got the busted cylinder liner problem fixed. Quite a score for $2500 and a few guns:)

Attachments

Last edited:

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David - Can you provide some details about the Curt Hitch you mounted to your truck? Very nice
I got this hitch off of one of our work trucks so I didn't buy it new it came with the truck when purchased. This is all the info from the sticker.
Curt
Xtra Duty
www.Curtmfg.com
v-5
Gross trailer Wt. 15,000#
Max tongue Wt. 1,500#
Made in the USA
I hope this helps and it matches up with the frame rails on my M925.
Dave

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David - Can you provide some details about the Curt Hitch you mounted to your truck? Very nice
I got this hitch off of one of our work trucks so I didn't buy it new it came with the truck when purchased. This is all the info from the sticker.
Curt
Xtra Duty
www.Curtmfg.com
v-5
Gross trailer Wt. 15,000#
Max tongue Wt. 1,500#
Made in the USA
I hope this helps and it matches up with the frame rails on my M925.
Dave

I went to their site and could not find the exact model I have but if you type in Curt Xtra Duty Hitch in their search function you will see a 17,000# hitch that looks just like mine.

Piper Cub

I installed some H4 conversion headlights. Want LEDs but still too expensive for me. Lubed the entire truck, checked all the fluids. Happy that I've been driving it around in the woods behind my house a little for the past couple days after replacing my broken cylinder liner and piston, and the engine oil is still perfectly clear with no signs of water in it at all. Can't wait for the DMV to open tomorrow so I can go register this thing and start driving it on the highway. I got it insured with Geico....
That's a nice looking truck you have there! It looks like it's real happy up on those logs.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran new rubberized fuel line from the tank, to the filters, and from the filters to the input of the IP.

Installed my filter assembly..

Need to figure out some mounting things, as I had to move some stuff to get it to fit..

2 x 2 micron nominal, 10 micron absolute filters
Shutoff valve @ fuel filter housing, so I can discreetly disable the truck.

filter1.jpgfilter2.jpg

MikeGuti

Changed the oil and filter today and a friend mounted my civi hitch and a disappearing step for momma to get her 5' frame in the truck.
I love that step you installed. Here are some pics of hitches we made/fabricated for the 931 and 923. Side we made and then we used a reese 5th wheel hitch which we fabricated to make it work. The lower receiver was purchased and fabricated as well. I originally got the idea from bigboy44.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I love that step you installed. Here are some pics of hitches we made/fabricated for the 931 and 923. Side we made and then we used a reese 5th wheel hitch which we fabricated to make it work. The lower receiver was purchased and fabricated as well. I originally got the idea from bigboy44.
Agreed that the step by DJones is a nice fabrication. Wouldn't mind seeing some more detail about how it works.

And your hitch work isn't too shabby either. Nice looking installs. [thumbzup]

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed that the step by DJones is a nice fabrication. Wouldn't mind seeing some more detail about how it works.

And your hitch work isn't too shabby either. Nice looking installs. [thumbzup]
I'm traveling for the railroad but will be home next tuesday and take more pics or video and post them. I wish that I was that good at fab work I owe it all to a friend. I will let him know what you think of his work.

Truckoholic

Today my 6 inch exhaust pipe came UPS:naner:

So this evening I spent a couple hours putting it on. I discovered that although I like loud big diesel trucks........this engine, without a turbo on it, is just too loud straight piped. Even though it wasn't too loud for me personally inside the cab, it is just plain embarrassing to drive when it is straight piped. Ha ha. Everyone would turn and stare, not because it was a cool Army truck, but instead to see what was causing all that horrid noise!

So what I did, since I didn't have a 4 inch to 6 inch reducer/adapter anyway, and needed to go from 4 inch to 6 inch somehow, and also wanted to quiet it down a little bit, I decided to just modify the stock muffler and use it effectively as a reducer.

The stock muffler is way too quiet for my liking, but no muffler at all was no good either, so I cut the 4 inch pipe out of one end, and stuffed the 6 inch pipe down inside there and welded it in place, and then used my plasma cutter to cut a big section out of the inside on the other end, so that it works more like a resonator and has very limited flow restriction.

IMG_3645.JPGIMG_3646.JPGIMG_3647.JPG

I wanted the stack to stand up straight, so I had to modify the brackets, which required, not only moving the bottom one out, but also putting it at an angle, since the further you push the bottom of the muffler out from the truck, the further forward it moves because of the angle of the exhaust pipe coming from the engine.
IMG_3651.jpg
And because I was too cheap to go buy a 6 inch exhaust clamp (them things ain't cheap!), I just made my own by welding two long bolts on the ends of a piece of metal strap and bent it around the pipe. Forgive my ugly weld on the top of the muffler. Ha ha. All I have is an arc welder right now, and that muffler is made of pretty thin stuff. Besides, the plan is to eventually modify the muffler guard, and put it back in place, and it will hide that weld a little better.:mrgreen:
IMG_3653.JPG

Photo.jpgIMG_3654.JPG

The whole exhaust is going to get painted with flat black wood stove paint as soon as I go to the store and get some. And the stack is not going to be that tall when I'm done. The idea, is to cut the stack and weld it into this style

mjisoNFwUI7oB4F53PVn0eg.jpg
when I can figure out how to cut the angles right. I know that one cut needs to be 22.5 degrees and the other needs to be 45 degrees. But I don't know how to do it without a big band saw with a big miter box or something. I've never seen a sawzall blade that long, and my plasma cutter would make an absolute mess of the cuts.

The stack makes a nice low rumble now, and is just about right. No longer deafening, yet it sounds good.

I also installed one of those Auber 1812 digital Pyrometers to see what my exhaust temps are running. Gets up to just over 1000 degrees under heavy acceleration, and in the 700-800's when running level at 55. I've got a number 20 fuel button in right now. Haven't put my turbo in yet.
IMG_3658.jpgIMG_3659.jpg

Put about 120 miles on it since installing the new cylinder liner and piston, and all seems good! I have owned many diesel big rigs and other diesel vehicles, and never have I had one where the engine oil stayed so perfectly crystal clear as the engine oil still is in this truck right now. I'm sure after a few hundred more miles it will start turning black like normal, but it trips me out that it is still so perfectly clear. Every other truck I've ever owned, the oil would be completely black again within a day of changing the oil and filter. Very very happy with this truck so far!
IMG_3657.JPG

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks