• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

braddrummond

I got it running!!!!!
Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

Starter was dead shorted when I got it. Replaced the starter charged the batteries and she fired right up.
Still checking everything else out before the first drive though.

zguinness

Fixed one CTIS leak at the moisture trap. Aired everything back up and found another leak at the grommet on one of the rear wheels. It looks like one of the little screws on the mounting bracket is stripped out allowing the wheel valve to pull apart from the bracket. Over time the grommet slips off.

Looking for a new screw to mount to the bracket today. Hopefully when I get everything back together and tightened up it will stay in place.

CTIS troubleshooting one leak at a time!

zout

Not as much as you fellas are doing but - towed Debs jeep to the rally - first time under full test of both septic holding tank systems - all GFI outlets on both sides of the truck working awesome - Onan Generator ran though it paces - 50 amp shoreline still hooked up and running awesome - all 7 - 120 amp deepcycle batteries up to par - 2800 Magnum inverter charger purring away flawlessly - had to change out a crappy LF steer tire yesterday and played with the NUT BUDDY torque muliplier - had to keep an eye on it as a couple folks were removing lugnuts with one finger turning the crank handle.

Elec winch for lowering and raising the tire used for the second time and see what else I have to fabricate in to perfect it.
Water systems working great inside and shower is nice for them quick rinse off's to cool down.

See a couple more things I would like to add between now and whenever we take off again - which should be to Stone Mountain Park with the 4 grandsons here in a couple weeks for a Fri and Sat night stay.

Thinking about totally removing the CTIS sytem and just sell the components as I have Multi Seal in all the tires and can fill from the outside valve with the hose and line I have for the gladhands.

TacticalDoc

painted my hard top and changed the seal on one hub. Noticed the wheel was wobbling when I lifted it so I checked the other tires. the opposite tire was also wobbling so I tightened the hub.

just something to remember to check.

M925

1. Took out my mat, vacuumed, and spray bombed the rust underneath. Scrubbed the mess out of the mat at the car wash.

2. I got TWO 1,700 CA: 1,400 CCA batteries from O'Reiley's for $100 each! (New but just sat on the shelf too long) Righteous! I'm going to secure them today.

3. Glue my soft top back to the plastic (I don't know how it got ripped)

4. Call Gieco to get them to fix a chip in my windshield.

5. Cut the locks off of the boxes some how? They left tools in the truck at auction! Righteous.

Carlo

1. Took out my mat, vacuumed, and spray bombed the rust underneath. Scrubbed the mess out of the mat at the car wash.

2. I got TWO 1,700 CA: 1,400 CCA batteries from O'Reiley's for $100 each! (New but just sat on the shelf too long) Righteous! I'm going to secure them today.

3. Glue my soft top back to the plastic (I don't know how it got ripped)

4. Call Gieco to get them to fix a chip in my windshield.

5. Cut the locks off of the boxes some how? They left tools in the truck at auction! Righteous.
Do you have the double mat with insulation or the single without? I think it's important to make this service.
I have never seen any tools on the European trucks. Your lucky!

Jakelc15

Been getting ready for winter. Put the plow pump back in, started closing some holes up in the cab. Installed an air valve to shift the front axle in and out. Similar to a deuce.
And put some 11r24.5 tires and rims on the front. They should wear much better and hold up the plow better than the ndcc's.
11R24.5.jpg

Last edited:

M925

Do you have the double mat with insulation or the single without? I think it's important to make this service.
I have never seen any tools on the European trucks. Your lucky!
This was a South Ka-Ca-Laki Army Aviation National Guard truck.

We cut the locks off today, and inside....

1. First Aid Kit
2. Three Triangles
3. Block and Tackle
4. Chain
5. Bag of Tools
6. Empty pouch
7. Bottle Jack with handle
8. 2 Troop Straps
9. Tire Lug Wrench.....(lol, Like I could break those lugs)
10. Something with gears and heavy duty...looked like something out of an axle
11. Air Hose for glad hand

RIGHTEOUS! I was like **** Yeah.

The mat is one thick piece out of the 939 trucks.

Hot glue seemed to glue the cover back on well.

Last edited:

drician

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to take one of my M923s to my grandma's house on Sunday for dinner. It was the first time she had seen the truck, and her first and only comment was, "That thing is taking up my whole driveway." I am going to take that as a good sign......

zout

Got the RV cleaned out after the rally and measured up some metal to get onto building a rear hitch for it. Plates ordered up are 3/8th steel x 7 inches wide. The bottom crosstube will be 6x6 inches square and 3/8th thick as well.
I have several gusset pieces ordered to keep torsional twist out of it once its in place then get onto inserting and welding in a receiver tube into the crosstube.

Columbus Veterans Day parade at CAMO Nov 9th so nothing will get ripped apart until afterwards and its playtime on the truck again.

JarheadMtn

I finished loading it with wood. The snow from September has not melted and lots of ice on the road in the shade. I have to drop down 3000' on a single lane road with lots of cliffs. So tomorrow I'll get a ride up and bring the truck down for the winter. I've slide down the road in other vehicles even with tire chains and on the dozer, so I don't want to risk it with the 813. Pretty soon it will be snowmobile only up there :D and sooo much faster and smoother of a ride!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

blackrock

My GF took this picture today and "dressed" up her 5ton along with our dogs. "Ruger" and the He!! Hounds would like to wish everyone a SAFE and Happy Halloween! DSC04862ff.jpg

zout

Picked up 10 gallons of Multi Seal which is the side product Armour Seal - if your not familiar with the product you can check out their web site and video's where they smack a 1/4 in pick axe into a tire and within a 1/4 revolution of the tire it is sealed and looses less than 1/2 lb of air. Also shows the Military testing of the product under extreme conditions - very cool to watch.

Each 1600 x 20 takes 144 oz's of product - with the hand pump dispense pumps 8 oz's per pump.

Will be doing this project this weekend and getting the new style front turn light lenses changed out as well to get ready to head to Columbus Veterans Day parade.

After the parade - get working on fabing the tow hitch onto the rear below the pintle hitch.

Link: http://www.multi-seal.com/Armor-Seal-Tire-Sealant.htm

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goodbye RAMBO

Painted my truck: goodbye RAMBO DSC_0191_resize.JPG

A bit of a catch 22: to get veteran papers for this truck in the Czech Republic, it does not have to fulfill any technical checking (this I knew) but ... the vehicle must look :cool:. Can be a technical wreck but the outside must be ok (this I did not knew). :cookoo: So to get the truck sand blasted and painted, I have to drive with it to the sander, which I cannot because the truck is not painted.

This blocked me but after some crazy ideas, thoughts about only painting some places of rust, and then reading the different paint threads here, especially about using cheap water-based home paint with a roller brush, I thought, why not give it a shot.

2013 10 before cleaning 02_resize.JPG 2013 10 before cleaning 01c_resize.jpg 2013 10 before cleaning 03_resize.JPG

Above, before a few hours of cleaning with a water power cleaner. Below, after.

2013 cleaning and painting 04_resize.jpg 2013 cleaning and painting 02c_resize.jpg

The second truck in the last picture is the famous Czech Praga V3S, the east-block version of a deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks