• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

tbar123

Finally installed the new wheels on the bigboy yesterday.I was going to upload yesterday, but after working 8.5 hrs then installing these I was one tired SOB. Especially since 24 of the rear lug/studs were completely seized and took some real effort to break them free.Thank GOD the mechanic at work lent me his 3/4" drive 3 ' long breaker bar or it still might be up on my bottle jack, That I had to make handle for!

Attachments

JarheadMtn

Have you thought about getting a 3/4" impact gun? Sure makes it a lot easier and faster. Did you mount your tires on the rims yourself? I spray the threads with WD 40 and let them soak, then hit them with the impact gun and they come off easier. I took one wheel apart with a 6' breaker bar and the whole tire and wheel just wanted to spin on the ground even with a 200lb friend standing ion it. Loaded the tire up and took it home where I had air and it came right off with the impact.

Finally installed the new wheels on the bigboy yesterday.I was going to upload yesterday, but after working 8.5 hrs then installing these I was one tired SOB. Especially since 24 of the rear lug/studs were completely seized and took some real effort to break them free.Thank GOD the mechanic at work lent me his 3/4" drive 3 ' long breaker bar or it still might be up on my bottle jack, That I had to make handle for!

tbar123

Have you thought about getting a 3/4" impact gun? Sure makes it a lot easier and faster. Did you mount your tires on the rims yourself? I spray the threads with WD 40 and let them soak, then hit them with the impact gun and they come off easier. I took one wheel apart with a 6' breaker bar and the whole tire and wheel just wanted to spin on the ground even with a 200lb friend standing ion it. Loaded the tire up and took it home where I had air and it came right off with the impact.
I did have the mechanics 3/4 impact ( professional kind) and it didn't do anything even at 130 psi, So then I as you did soaked the lug/nuts with WD 40 and let them sit for a couple of beers and that still didn't have any effect.The only thing that saved my tail was that 3/4 breaker bar. Yes I did mount 4 of the 6 tires myself and had to remount 2 off them because of leaking valve stems. NOTE; To everyone: Spend the extra money and buy the new valve stem seals, Well worth it, Your back will thank you!

Csm Davis

I did have the mechanics 3/4 impact ( professional kind) and it didn't do anything even at 130 psi, So then I as you did soaked the lug/nuts with WD 40 and let them sit for a couple of beers and that still didn't have any effect.The only thing that saved my tail was that 3/4 breaker bar. Yes I did mount 4 of the 6 tires myself and had to remount 2 off them because of leaking valve stems. NOTE; To everyone: Spend the extra money and buy the new valve stem seals, Well worth it, Your back will thank you!
Three words for anyone in this predicament, geared lug wrench.

Artisan

Stuck lug nuts are easy;

1- Make SURE you are spinning them in the correct direction!
2- Make up and use a home-made telescoping breaker bar.***

I have the standard issue lug nut wrench w/ the 3/4" Solid Round Bar,
next slip a piece of pipe over that and do it again and viola, you have a 6' cheater.
I have NEVER met a lug nut I can not bust loose and I have met many a sob lug nut.

A cheap HF pneumatic jack hooked to your air supply is a life saver too.
You need two jacks actually, one to begin the lift and a second to continue.
(These trucks fall a LONG WAYS and two jacks makes a HUGE difference)
(You need a wood block or two as well.) I also carry a 3/4" Impact w/ extension and socket that
I use for nuts that are not stuck but you need a wrench for to unscrew the whole
freaking way. Time on the side of a freeway sucks. Do everything you can before
hand to shorten that time!

The first thing I do when I buy a vehicle is to pull ALL lug nuts. Deal w/ the stuck on
and too tight nuts in your shop, not away from home on the side of the road.
A little stud cleaning is desirable and a touch of Anti-Sleeze on the stud ONLY works well.
(Do NOT put Anti-Seeze on the beveled nut face!)

***Cut your telescoping extensions just a taste shorter than your storage box

tire-tools.jpg

PS, torque nuts to factory specs. (I did not find wheel nut torque specs quickly, where is it?)
PDF Pg. 441 of TM 9-2320-272-23-5 has generic values.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
^^Throw in few 4x6 blocks and 12x12 piece of 3/4" plywood as jack base. I used to carry a 12 ton jackstand. I have to reinstall my large tool box to load that.

tbar123

My days as n iron worker told me that I would need some "cribbing" and I did just that. I now have 5 blocks of would in the tool shed to help level,and maintain a solid base for the jack to do what a jack does best....Jack stuff up!!!!

Attachments

FullSpecial

Been working on a dual alternator set up for over a week. Get it all together and realize the belt tensioner is against the fan hub after running it for fifteen minutes.
Well after the Turrets outburst I go back to just the 24v till I get it sorted out. It just occurred to me to re-index the tensioner 90' clockwise.
WP_20140825_17_26_32_Pro[1].jpg

FullSpecial

Update: Getting the tensioner mounting plate cost me a little skin on my right elbow, a few drops of blood and a 5mm Allen socket.
WP_20140826_17_56_43_Pro.jpg
Just the through bolt holding the tensioner to the mounting plate, and it indexes on the large hole next to the top mounting hole.
Other two holes I drilled. Closest one to the factory is what I used, guessing about a 25deg CW rotation. Works great!
http://vid37.photobucket.com/albums/e80/weaponsfree/WP_20140826_18_32_16_Pro.mp4

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hauled an art car to the Burning Man festival in northern Nevada, just got back...a friend built a mobile dance platform & DJ studio with 30K LEDs and 6 LCD flat-screen TVs, on a dually Chevy chassis. It weighs 12K pounds, but is tall & top-heavy (those are 3"x6" steel rectangular tubes for roof, very heavy!). All efforts to get it loaded failed, and I got a frantic call for help Sunday afternoon (event started next day, 517 miles away). Once loaded, we had an inch to spare below height limit! Because it was so top-heavy, max speed up there was 45mph, making for a VERY long trip. And he wants me to come back on Labor Day to load it for a return trip.

I recently installed the XM381 12-volt trailer lights converter assembly (with ABS) to my 931A2 and this gave me the chance to test it out; it worked PERFECTLY!

It was very popular at the event (I had to go all the way in to unload it).

20140826_Burning-Man_800px_01.JPG 20140826_Burning-Man_800px_01a.jpg

Last edited:

maxxplanck

All I did today was a simple fuel filter change, not sure if I'm crazy but the truck seemed sluggish before I changed the filter now it runs great. Old filter didn't look bad or dirty but it sure made a difference.

74M35A2

All I did today was a simple fuel filter change, not sure if I'm crazy but the truck seemed sluggish before I changed the filter now it runs great. Old filter didn't look bad or dirty but it sure made a difference.

Is that on an A2? I drain the fuel filters on my 925A2 at every oil change, and it runs super strong afterward. I've been meaning to post about this, but haven't yet. There is suction within both of my filters every time I open the drains, not sure if that is normal or not. It seems that once this vacuum is relieved, the truck picks up lots of power for a short while.

Apologies for derailing the thread subject, but wanted to touch on the mentioned issue.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have been told that a filter working on the vacuum side of things will trap any air in the system. That air being in there will not allow the filter to be used at full volume and that is essentially a restriction on the fuel supply.

So I am told.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks