• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Jeepsinker

Zerostart 8601046 1500w block heater. Kit came with heater, cord and gasket. While we have milder temps in Georgia, we do have some cold temps at times that would make starting difficult. I really don't want to get on the ether routine during cold weather so this should take care of that. Took about an hour to install.

View attachment 526158
So what was in place of that heater before? Was it just a cover plate there?

Jeepsinker

Well that is pretty convenient. My wrecker doesn't need one but I have been pondering installing one on the deuce since it is my dd, I had just forgotten I was in the 5 ton forum when I asked.

Amer-team

Replaced the windshield wipers. NAPA is having a sale right now on the 14" 60-1450 blades. Don't lose the tapered piece on the shaft that the wiper arm slides on. It is a pain to find another one of those, but if you need to, the ANCO part number is 51-14 and there are two options and you are looking for the smaller shaft size with the double flat shaft. I ended up finding that part at the local big truck parts shop. The regular auto parts stores were not able to help. They could tell me the part number, but were unable to find the part.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a jack shaft from Wreckerman last week (Thanks Buddy!) and got a chance to install it this week. Mine was shot but I didn't realize how shot until I got to see one that was in good condition. It wasn't until I got the old one out that I realized that it was not long before it would've failed completely. When I got the truck, the shaft was bone dry and rusty and the spline seal was cracked and no longer touching the inner shaft. I had run about 2 tubes of grease through it to clean it out but the damage had already been done.

The saving grace here is that both U-joints were new with crystal blue grease in them. So I replaced the shaft and reused my U-joints. Apparently the U-joints had been replaced but the shaft was left alone. While under there, I checked the rest of the drive line and found that ALL the U-joints had been replaced and the rest of the shafts in the driveline where fine.

Pictures of the new one...

IMG_20141121_153500_945.jpg
IMG_20141121_160317_395.jpg
IMG_20141121_160335_653.jpg

A couple of notes for others...

The old shaft was a pain to get out. The old grease in the bottom of the hollow shaft didn't want to let me compress the shaft all the way. Much prying, banging and the excessive use of choice words were necessary. It will come out though if compressed all the way. Trans and transfer case in neutral will allow you to position it however you need.

The replacement shaft had the same problem with the old grease. I pulled it apart and cleaned it spotless. Be careful with the spline seal here. The splines must spread the seal in order to remove the inner shaft. Some grease on the splines and seal and a blunt pick helped manipulate the seal during removal and assembly. Do not refill with grease until after you get it installed. You'll lose it when you compress it for installation and have to add more anyways. It is a good time to grease the U-joints though since they are easily accessible.

The old shaft was installed with the spline seal facing the transmission or front of the truck. I installed the replacement with it facing the transfer case or the rear of the truck. I can only see this helping keep dirt, dust and road spray out of the seal with it facing the rear. I honestly don't know which way it was from the factory since it had been removed before. I don't see any reason it can't be run either way though. This little shaft needs all the help it can get. It's the only shaft that sees the brunt of all the torque whether in 6x6 or not. There is no torsional relief to dissipated any shock loading because it's so short.

After replacement, all the clunking during direction changes and downshifts is gone. All the drive line vibrations are gone now too.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put in the Bostrom air ride and a springer seat in. Had to have a glove box and cooler. I got the steel to make up the battery hold down today. Need a new inspection cover for the floor board. I only brought to the battery box the one 12 volt line. The outher two wires that were in the upper battery box were a small ground and a small 24 volt lead. I chose to just pick up the ground and 24 volt off the starter. In the pic you can see the two disconnects just under the cab for the ground and 24 volt. Saw no reason to run them all the way to the new battery box as they were just connected to the end of the power cables.

Attachments

Plugugly

I put in a Haldex Air Dryer from Those Military Guys, and flipped the lunette on my newly acquired M105 to 5 ton height. The trailer work was much more difficult than the air dryer.

Took it out for a little test drive and exercised my transfer case and front axle since I haven't ever used them in anger.

brasco

I repaired the CTIS air Valve (Pneumatic Control Unit) on my M931A2. The controller was showing a "no lights" error. When I looked up the error it indicated a bad coil on the pneumatic unit and, sure enough, it was bad. I found a new one online - not a perfect match at 85 ohms resistance - but it worked!

ke5eua

I repaired the CTIS air Valve (Pneumatic Control Unit) on my M931A2. The controller was showing a "no lights" error. When I looked up the error it indicated a bad coil on the pneumatic unit and, sure enough, it was bad. I found a new one online - not a perfect match at 85 ohms resistance - but it worked!
Depending on how far off it is you can always tie in a resistor to match the required resistance.

infidel got me

Started prepping for paint today.My truck must have been painted with a mop and stucco gun.
I knew it was a little rough,but you just don't know till you start sanding.
Made a lot of progress,but ran out of daylight.
I hope to be layin the paint to her tomorrow,will take pics as I go.

ke5eua

Went to start the 818 this morning to bring the 750 to the storage yard.

Got some nice white smoke out the exhaust before the batteries died.

At least I know my electric primer is working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks