• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

6wdcummins83

Today I flushed the coolant system and treated with gunk radiator cleaner. Then I changed the oil and filter in the engine, changed the tranny fluid to dextron. Then changed the fluid in the transfer case and all three axles to 80w90 and changed the fuel filter which was very rusty inside. Next will be paint in spring!

Capehenery

Finished the rebuild of the Shutter Stat and installed it. Works so far!
Removed and lubricated the heater fan so I can buy some time to find a replacement. Now it works too.
Started to install the fire extinguisher mount but ran out of daylight.

dawico

Finished the rebuild of the Shutter Stat and installed it. Works so far!
Removed and lubricated the heater fan so I can buy some time to find a replacement. Now it works too.
Started to install the fire extinguisher mount but ran out of daylight.
NAPA sells a replacement heater fan. Be warned though, they ordered mine and charged me shipping to their store. If I had known that I would have had it sent to my house.

PN 655-1320 and cost me $55 w/ shipping. $37 before shipping and tax. You just have to hook up a ground wire, besides that it drops right in.

But if yours works then go with it.

acme66

Got it out of winter moth balls only to find the fan actuator was just blowing air to beat the band. Parked it for a few hours and when I fired it back up the fan had fixed itself. Very convenient. I hope to locate additional 'self repairing' components if I can.

Ken

Another Ahab

Got it out of winter moth balls only to find the fan actuator was just blowing air to beat the band. Parked it for a few hours and when I fired it back up the fan had fixed itself. Very convenient. I hope to locate additional 'self repairing' components if I can.

Ken
That is a laugh:

- Had a buddy with a VW bug back in the day ("Peace, Brother!"; he was one of the flower children), and his approach to auto wrenching was to "let it rest" when his car had problems.

- He'd back it into his (parent's) garage, close the overhead door, and leave it to sit overnight.

D*****est thing was; 9 times out of 10, that car would emerge fine the next day, and fire right back up!!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see maybe the thread should say what have you not done lol.
Well here is what I have done so far.

Keyed door locks
Keyed battery cutoff
Fixed Ctis
Coolent filter
Front winch
Painted truck
Installed locking fuel cap

Still left to do
Install go light,back up lights,led lights on front
Rear winch
New cargo cover

Amer-team

Turbo you sparked an idea. Someone put a thread in about adding a glove box. For those of us running two batteries, why not put it in the unused space of the battery box? That seems like a project for me later this year.

MtnSnow

Well got couple of things accomplished over the weekend. Got the 923a2 "Beast" through it's annual state safety inspection with flying colors and the tech doing it went over it with a fine tooth comb. But I knew it would so it's ready for the road for another year of shows and what not :)

On the Beast II I tried out a new air intake snorkel for it as the original had been caved in (looked like someone/something had taken a sledgehammer to it a couple of times). I ended up liking the look so I have another setup being sent to me from Amazon (5" ID to 3.5" OD adapter) & Ebay (the 3.5" ID snorkel) In very quick testing I could see that the Snorkel even with it being 3.5" it flows more air than the stock mushroom cap does as the air restriction gauge didn't hardly move when reset with the Snorkel but it was close to 1/2 way with the stock cap after a quick run after resetting the indicator. When the other arrives I will do more in depth testing to include a drive on the highway instead of just in the storage yard.

Oh yeah here is a pic of it.

Snorkel-1.jpg Snorkel-3.jpg

Of course I will end up painting the adapter and snorkel when this truck gets re-painted. I will also put a tack-weld or move the clamp that held the mushroom cap on over to this to keep it well secured.

Still need to check on the fuel pickup tube on the Beast II.Will need to gather up a few more 5 gallon buckets that I can drain the fuel into (It came with close to a 1/2 tank or more) so I can move the tank out far enough to pull the tube without bending/destroying it and then get the replacement or fixed tube back into it without screwing it up. I'll also plan on double checking the fuel sending unit as it gauge is always reading FULL even though I know that the tank is currently at about 1/2.

dawico

Well got couple of things accomplished over the weekend. Got the 923a2 "Beast" through it's annual state safety inspection with flying colors and the tech doing it went over it with a fine tooth comb. But I knew it would so it's ready for the road for another year of shows and what not :)

On the Beast II I tried out a new air intake snorkel for it as the original had been caved in (looked like someone/something had taken a sledgehammer to it a couple of times). I ended up liking the look so I have another setup being sent to me from Amazon (5" ID to 3.5" OD adapter) & Ebay (the 3.5" ID snorkel) In very quick testing I could see that the Snorkel even with it being 3.5" it flows more air than the stock mushroom cap does as the air restriction gauge didn't hardly move when reset with the Snorkel but it was close to 1/2 way with the stock cap after a quick run after resetting the indicator. When the other arrives I will do more in depth testing to include a drive on the highway instead of just in the storage yard.

Oh yeah here is a pic of it.

View attachment 548086 View attachment 548085

Of course I will end up painting the adapter and snorkel when this truck gets re-painted. I will also put a tack-weld or move the clamp that held the mushroom cap on over to this to keep it well secured.

Still need to check on the fuel pickup tube on the Beast II.Will need to gather up a few more 5 gallon buckets that I can drain the fuel into (It came with close to a 1/2 tank or more) so I can move the tank out far enough to pull the tube without bending/destroying it and then get the replacement or fixed tube back into it without screwing it up. I'll also plan on double checking the fuel sending unit as it gauge is always reading FULL even though I know that the tank is currently at about 1/2.
I am sure that it breathes better with the cap facing forward. I would have to test it facing backwards just to keep bugs and stuff from flying right into it. The screen seems a bit big to let stuff fly right in.

MtnSnow

Not to worried as I have an air sock aka pre-filter that can be slipped over it... but if conditions really are that bad it's easy to turn it backwards or to the side. If the big OTR trucks can run them facing forwards without a sock and I have run them forwards on the tractors and such on our family ranch for years without issue without a sock I'm not worried. :)

MtnSnow

I wanted it to go on the outside to eliminate puddling of water/snow. As for Height I will eventually cut off a few inches from the main pipe to bring the overall height down to the stock setup height.

That Prefilter you picked up should flow much better than the stock Mushroom cap as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks