• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced military Alternator with a commercial Dozer Alternator. Had to notch bracket and add a spacer, but it is running like a champ.

Replaced all the lights that died when the military Alternator voltage regulator burned out. New Dozer alternator shouldn't do this when it dies, and replacements are much easier to find.

Bought some Halogen bulbs and lights for headlights, but misplaced may military connectors so I have to find those so I can wire up the new plugs where they can plug and play with the military wire harness.

Next, plan to remove 5th wheel and tire carrier from M931A2 and start measuring where to put black water tanks, etc., for an RV conversion.

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the oil changed today, Had the wife up standing on the tire, I was handing up the oil to her teamwork.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got my civilian alternator on using the TM America bracket. Since I found I was missing a fan belt I got two new alternator belts and two new fan belts on and adjusted.

Then since Gimpy got there as I was struggling getting the belts on he helped me finish and then the one thing I have wanted since I got it was a remote brake reservoir for the fluid.

It is behind the driver's seat in the corner with clear tubing through the floor to the reservoir. I can see it when I get in every time now.

:)

And thanks to Gimpy.

ke5eua

Finally got my civilian alternator on using the TM America bracket. Since I found I was missing a fan belt I got two new alternator belts and two new fan belts on and adjusted.

Then since Gimpy got there as I was struggling getting the belts on he helped me finish and then the one thing I have wanted since I got it was a remote brake reservoir for the fluid.

It is behind the driver's seat in the corner with clear tubing through the floor to the reservoir. I can see it when I get in every time now.

:)

And thanks to Gimpy.
What engine?

brasco

I've been working on a few projects:

1) Installed spare tire on my latest M923A2. This was good practice using the davit boom and chain fall hoist. The torque multiplying wrench that I bought on ebay worked perfectly. I highly recommend as a labor saving device... I can't believe these tools are not more common. I still need to repair the tire that I took off.

2) Painted numbers on bumpers of M925A2 and registered as former Military Vehicle... saved big $$$ compared to last year.

3) Changed oil and installed batteries in my latest M923A2 so I can start it without slaving it every time. Truck starts and runs great but still making noise heard through intake. I plan to buy compression test equipment when I have time... maybe get it done before Fall ???

4) Made a "To Do" List for first M923A2 project truck...
1) Install air ride seats
2) Install overhead console
3) Install antenna... not really sure on details of that yet - fender mount vs other locations like be mount.
4) Install keyed door locks.

Too much to do and so little time...

Last edited:

6wdcummins83

Are they LED or normal? Should light up the night very well.
they are KC rally 800 130watt 12 volt halogen. Four long distance pencil beam and two driving beam. I'm still debating about putting a led light in somewhere. They light up the night for sure. The regular lights seem like a half dead flash light out the window in comparison.

Another Ahab

Kc rally 800
they are KC rally 800 130watt 12 volt halogen. Four long distance pencil beam and two driving beam. I'm still debating about putting a led light in somewhere. They light up the night for sure. The regular lights seem like a half dead flash light out the window in comparison.
Whoa, I just ran an on-line price check and they're not cheap ($400 +/- per pair), but I'm sure you get what you pay for.

I'm guessing these are the ones to get.

Another Ahab

I have had two pair sitting around after I sold my old pickup that had them and I bought the new driving pair on Amazon +- $300 so it wasn't too painful
Good price there.

And when you know you're getting the best, it always makes it worth the cost. Nothing half-way; do it right or just don't do it at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks