• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frame for boxes, no winch, i think someone else might be fabbing a electric winch operation up!
Yes, there are much grander plans unfolding forward of those boxes. I'm waiting on a few key pieces to arrive and I'll post an update. Here's a teaser shot for now...

20150831_171201.jpg

I apologize to you for not picking up on that.

I am ALWAYS missing these kinds of things. There must be an explanation.

View attachment 579115
Ahab, your way of speaking through pictures always entertains. That picture is pretty close to what I looked like after spending most of the night welding that up, lol.

NovacaineFix

Installed 2 of 4 new Group 31 batteries, 2 will come later after I get a new battery box and hardware.

During the battery install, found out the reason why my glow plug wasn't working, it was one the wrong battery terminal. Lead 569 is a small lead that is conveniently close to the cable that goes to the starter but is not a 24 volt lead like the rest.
Instead of being 24 volts, it is a 12 volt power lead to the cold start glow plug and connects to the in-series positive battery post, that short cable that connects between 2 batteries with one side negative and the other positive.
Since I was working on the cables, I figured that would be a good time to clean and freshen up all the connection points.

Now with glow plug getting power that it should be and fresh new batteries, engine starts really easy and glow plug works, in case I ever need it.

I'll take that as a win!

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 7.52.58 PM.jpg

Bruizer79

Hey all

Been looking for info on the net, unsuccessfully, for a service Manuel for my NHC 250 in my 813a1. Any one know where I can download one? Also I am curious as to how many pounds of oil pressure she should be running.
Thanks guys

Bruizer79

This week on my 813 A1, I fixed all the turn signals on it. Got the vacuum operated wipers working(kinda). This week end I will be working on the air service lines to see why only the rear passenger side works. Anyone have any ideas?

NovacaineFix

Hey all

Been looking for info on the net, unsuccessfully, for a service Manuel for my NHC 250 in my 813a1. Any one know where I can download one? Also I am curious as to how many pounds of oil pressure she should be running.
Thanks guys
There are several manuals in the TM section, may be what you are looking for. Sections of the manual cover vast parts of the engine, which for a lot of the 809 series trucks like yours is most likely the NHC 250 Cummins. I don't think, but not 100% sure if they put any other engines in them, but like I say, not 100% on that.

The link for the Tech Manuals on this site is >>>http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?121483-TM-s-for-M809-Series-5-Tons

NovacaineFix

Hey all

Thanks guys
Almost forgot to answer your question on the oil pressure.

My 818, which is also a NHC 250, runs about 30 lbs at idle and slightly higher at top engine speed.
I didn't find the actual spec in the manual, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere, everything else is.

JohnnyBM931A2

Agreed.. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. In my case it's second nature to carry an extinguisher, first aid kit, and emergency triangles, as I am required to keep those items in my work truck at all times (not a law here, but it is our company policy.)

gottaluvit

Agreed.. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. In my case it's second nature to carry an extinguisher, first aid kit, and emergency triangles, as I am required to keep those items in my work truck at all times (not a law here, but it is our company policy.)
The triangles are law once commercial so I, again, pulled overkill and put flares in there as well. I figure on some blind turn on these hills at night it's best to give plenty heads up.

74M35A2

Purchased a 60" BNC to FM radio antenna adapter to put use to the fender mount antenna on my 925A2.

9a.jpg

Also acquired a Mitsubishi 130 amp 24V J-180 short alternator and appropriate Cummins 8.3 civilian J-180 short alternator bracket for proper installation. Alternator is internally regulated with automatic temperature compensation (higher charging voltage in colder temps), dual internal fans, and can report alternator load % via a PWM signal output. This alternator is used on Renault trucks in Europe, as 24V is common on medium and heavy duty trucks for both on and off road in Europe and Japan, as where in US, 12V is common for on-road, and 24V for off-road (construction equipment, etc...).

9alt.jpg

Hope to have installed pictures soon after truck gets painted this upcoming week. Will report back then.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Also acquired a Mitsubishi 130 amp 24V J-180 short alternator and appropriate Cummins 8.3 civilian J-180 short alternator bracket for proper installation. Alternator is internally regulated with automatic temperature compensation (higher charging voltage in colder temps), dual internal fans, and can report alternator load % via a PWM signal output. This alternator is used on Renault trucks in Europe, as 24V is common on medium and heavy duty trucks for both on and off road in Europe and Japan, as where in US, 12V is common for on-road, and 24V for off-road (construction equipment, etc...).

View attachment 579697
Do you have any idea what the thinking is behind all that?

Or maybe it's all just random (like right-hand drive in UK, and left-hand drive everywhere else; or at least I think that's random).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks