• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

gottaluvit

Got my backup alarm and lights mounted and wired. Got the 24v lights from gimpyrobb in early summer and the alarm from bay. The alarm is a multivoltage 12-48v Wolo model BA-107 (107dB). It cost $35. Got the transmission pressure switch from the same place as the alarm for less than $10. It is a motorcycle brake light switch. It has the same threads as needed and activated by pressure. 20150917_164556.jpg
Ran 12 ga. wire from one post on the switched side of the 12v/75 amp relay (I had given to me a few months back) to the lights and the alarm. 20150917_084644.jpgThe other post on the switched side goes to the 24v source. Got my 24v source from wire 460-461 off the light switch, which I figured out thanks to The HUlk's post on brake light issues. I put a 15 amp blade type fuse within inches of the 24v connection at the light switch. 20150916_203550.jpg The coil is what was necessary to run on 12v. Then for the 12v source, I ran a wire off the first battery's positive (using battery ground as the starting point) straight to the transmission switch. I knew this was a reliable way to get 12v because that is what BMY did to get the 12v source for the heater's low speed). I installed a 10 amp blade type fuse within inches of the battery post connection even before the wire could get near the battery bracket. The other post (blade) on the transmission switch I ran as the positive wire to go to the relay's coil (to activate the points inside that I am running 24v through). The relay's coil negative I just grounded to the dash. I just wire tied the relay to the bundle of wires already wire tied into a ball up under the dash before I got the truck. I think this is pretty safe as the two lights and the alarm sure arent using the 75 amps this relay is rated for, and having a fuse inline as near to each source of power as possible before a wire could even get near the ground. As long as the relay's coil is only getting 12v, plus the 12v transmission switch only getting 12v all should be well and last. One must be aware that a lot of relays aren't fully seperated inside as this heavy one I used is. So it is probably best to just get a 24v relay if you don't understand electicity so well.20150917_193240.jpg20150917_201539.jpg

Here's a short vid of the alarm.https://youtu.be/JL-1ia426PQ

Last edited:

Gunzy

Finally got my spin on fuel filter kit on. Priming was a pain but it now works fine. My M923 has a metal line from the tank to the OE filter assy. so I chose to leave it in place and use it to strap the new rubber hose to. Only took about and hour to install.
007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Touch a Truck

image.jpgimage.jpg

Took her to a "Touch a Truck" event for a local fund raiser. Just a note, if you attend one of these events keep the kids out of the cab as possibly the emergency engine stop will get pulled and not seen by the owner making for a difficult start situation:doh: Don't ask how I know that!

archmark

Finally got my spin on fuel filter kit on. Priming was a pain but it now works fine. My M923 has a metal line from the tank to the OE filter assy. so I chose to leave it in place and use it to strap the new rubber hose to. Only took about and hour to install.
View attachment 582579View attachment 582580View attachment 582582
This conversion is on my list of things to do, possibly next weekend. I've heard it's a real PITA to get the engine primed once you've made the changeover. What did you do to finally get it primed?

Thanks...

Mark

Another Ahab

Took her to a "Touch a Truck" event for a local fund raiser. Just a note, if you attend one of these events keep the kids out of the cab as possibly the emergency engine stop will get pulled and not seen by the owner making for a difficult start situation. Don't ask how I know that!
:funny: I'm guessing that you read about it somewhere in a magazine, is that right!?

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Ahab, I think I read that in "Highlights" magazine while I was waiting in the dentist office when I was a kid rofl. Actually it said "parents keep an eye on your kids when they are in someone else's truck"!

Gunzy

This conversion is on my list of things to do, possibly next weekend. I've heard it's a real PITA to get the engine primed once you've made the changeover. What did you do to finally get it primed?

Thanks...

Mark
I put compressed air into the fuel tank to help get the fuel to flow. You need to plug the tank vent too.

wiersema07

ive installed 2 LED 48w rear facing work lights, a 54" Led light bar, 8 LED cablights, triple stack train horns, custom made front push bar made of 4"x4" tube pipe, added ICC DOT bumper in rear and DOT taped it, cleaned out all fluids with all new filters, added a 1500 watt engine heater in the engine, straight piped it, added a dump kit hoist. thats all from Dec 2014 when purchased. Love my truck.dukeDOTbumper.jpgduke3.jpgIMAG1039.jpgIMAG1053.jpgIMAG1060.jpg

Snowtiger

I want to purchase a couple of extra Air filters for my M923A2, and of course I am out of town when I discover these filters. Would anyone be so kind to post the dimensions of the filter, ie. Inside diameter, outside diameter, an length. its been an expensive week with all the stock piling of lubes and filters and parts. Shes a happy truck

74M35A2

I want to purchase a couple of extra Air filters for my M923A2, and of course I am out of town when I discover these filters. Would anyone be so kind to post the dimensions of the filter, ie. Inside diameter, outside diameter, an length. its been an expensive week with all the stock piling of lubes and filters and parts. Shes a happy truck
Supposedly nothing aftermarket fits (NAPA/Wix, etc....), only the OE filter fits the can, and is not low cost. Some people are buying a smaller OD filter which is available in the aftermarket, and it is believed to flow more air by better exposing the entire surface area of the filter element. Yet to be proven by data, but seat-of-the-pants dyno stories are saying it makes a difference. This smaller OD filter requires a wire "basket" to hold it centered in the canister. Those Military Guys sell the entire kit, or just the wire basket. I can measure this filter dimensions when I get home from work today for you, as I have one not yet installed (but my truck is at a buddy's house for painting, so I can't measure the OE filter for you, sorry, he won't let me at the truck till the paint is done, for wow effect).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks