• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

turnkey

So I am seeing more of the half completed mraps around here just the truck frame and thats it...No cab or back....Perfect make your own rig...located in zion,ill...4 of them ...what to do with them???

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup the shipper was going to pick it up last Wednesday but gov planet said no. Have to set a appointment two days before and the only day is Wednesday to pick up and have to be there at 830 in the morning.

Amer-team

Picked up a M923A2 today. It has been sitting for quite awhile, so will need some care. Thought I might drive it home. Put a couple of batteries in it, fired right up, let it run for a bit, shut it down to do the paperwork, went out and it wouldn't start. No fuel was getting through. Finally gave up and hooked up the tow bar. Stopped along the way to add some more fuel and the darn thing started right up. Figured we should just keep towing. Couldn't make the swing into the alley, so we thought we would fire it up and drive it into place, no go. After tinkering for a bit, looks like some corrosion on the fuel shutoff solenoid. Polished that up and it seems to start right up. I think the truck came out of Barstow about 3 plus years ago. It is a 32AMDC31AD - 5-5 HHB46 truck. More to come.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a M923A2 today. It has been sitting for quite awhile, so will need some care. Thought I might drive it home. Put a couple of batteries in it, fired right up, let it run for a bit, shut it down to do the paperwork, went out and it wouldn't start. No fuel was getting through. Finally gave up and hooked up the tow bar. Stopped along the way to add some more fuel and the darn thing started right up. Figured we should just keep towing. Couldn't make the swing into the alley, so we thought we would fire it up and drive it into place, no go. After tinkering for a bit, looks like some corrosion on the fuel shutoff solenoid. Polished that up and it seems to start right up. I think the truck came out of Barstow about 3 plus years ago. It is a 32AMDC31AD - 5-5 HHB46 truck. More to come.
Brad? Must've caught him on a good day... I've been trying to buy a 923 from him but he insists he's gonna fix it up first..... and I want it as-is..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All my buddies that wanted to "help" are never around when i needed it. And all my equipment tied up elsewhere. Just had to do it the old fashion way. Took about 45mins. I didn't get it centered over the truck yet. Just up and on the back.

Now im headed to south mississippi for a 931 and some goodies

plode

What have I done to my 5 ton in 2 months? Nothing.
It's time to sell it. I had my fun with it, but I just don't use it enough, and insurance costs are way too high here in NJ for a "toy".

plode

I drive it maybe 8 times a year. I just don't have time. I have it registered historic. Historic insurance is a PITA here in NJ, every agency I contacted wants it garaged or puts too many restrictions on its use. I think at this point, I just would rather buy a new(or used depending on what I find) motorcycle with the money from the truck and be able to enjoy that.

gottaluvit

Hauled three loads of limestone today for a customer. Had to "borrow" three miles of interstate 70 so I went to place my amber LED flashing light on the headache rack and the darn thing wouldn't work when I plugged into the triple 12V socket I installed last year. 20150605_174228.jpg
Tore into it after getting home and the built in USB circuit blew a capacitor and short-circuited, blowing the inline fuse I installed initially. I just bypassed the USB part, wiring the three sockets direct (still with a fuse, of course). At least my safety light will work now. Just gotta get a car phone charger for the truck now.

As for mechanical stuff, this truck is awesome. The unit that maintained this truck, while it was still serving, were no slackers.
20151005_150419.jpg

I drive it maybe 8 times a year. I just don't have time. I have it registered historic. Historic insurance is a PITA here in NJ, every agency I contacted wants it garaged or puts too many restrictions on its use. I think at this point, I just would rather buy a new(or used depending on what I find) motorcycle with the money from the truck and be able to enjoy that.
What they don't know won't hurt you.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the ball and socket joint on the throttle linkage. If you turned it at just the right angle it would come apart. It never came apart while driving but could of easily done so. I got the thread specs from Parttarget and looked for a replacement. I happened across this Heim style joint and decided to go with it. It should do a little better by design of keeping out debris without the use of a rubber boot like the ball and socket joint.

20160323_132139.jpg

20160323_132155.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the ball and socket joint on the throttle linkage. If you turned it at just the right angle it would come apart. It never came apart while driving but could of easily done so. I got the thread specs from Parttarget and looked for a replacement. I happened across this Heim style joint and decided to go with it. It should do a little better by design of keeping out debris without the use of a rubber boot like the ball and socket joint.

View attachment 614310

View attachment 614311
Got a good Part Number?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a good Part Number?
There was no part number and I couldn't find the listing for the one I bought on Ebay. Search "5/16 Heim" on Ebay. You need one with a stud and female end. Make sure the threads are 5/16-24 right hand, because they do have some left handed ones listed. I can't vouch for the quality of the ones in the search but mine is Teflon impregnated and was listed as such. I didn't see that specifically stated on the other listings.

For what it's worth, the specs I listed are for the M939 and M939A1 as specified in the TM. I don't know if the A2 uses the same part or even has one.

I wasn't sure what that was.

And I decided that Google really IS my friend, and so leaning on a buddy when in need:

- I see that it PartTarget looks pretty good.

Not sure how the purchasing works. Is it priced right?

I can't speak of the sourcing and purchasing end of the site. If you want to know every little detail, specification and application of an NSN or part number then it's the best site around.

The NSN for that joint is: 3040-00-965-0143
Throw that in the search box on Parttarget and see what I mean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks