• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

MUD CLUTCH

diagnosed bad button/switch on t/c high-low lever ,work very smooth now ,adjusted winch control cable for full travel of the spool on the valve body (unwinds quicker),and diagnosed bad air pressure sensor on wet tank that was keepimg the ctis from coming on ,and was wondering if anybody knows where I can get on of those sensors?

gottaluvit

Got my M1061A1 trailer (for my 5 ton) title transferred to an Ohio title and got the commercial plate for a nominal fee. Now I get to fabricate a license plate bracket for it.

I feel I must put out a special thanks to jwade at GP for his help.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Went on another 650mi round trip in my 923 to recover a 931 with a bad engine from hattiesburg. Headed back now. Also had to grab a transfer case for another 931. 130k lb stuck grinder snapped it pretty good. Didnt feel like the truck was weak a linkbelt 290 excavator and lieberr 724 dozer (d6) could hardly get it out.

Still has high range. Drives around just leaks like the exxon valdez!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Grinder was buried and suctioned down. Truck went to pull tires spun half a revolution and gripped. 4seconds of throttle and boom. Something had to give and traction wasn't it

seabeehotrodder

most recently I've singled the deuce and flipped the hubs for the new tires coming this summer, installed a heater core and ducting, got the brakes free of air (they work so much better that way), put in a second 12 volt brake foot switch with additional lights for that and the license plate light, (wanted to still be able to show people I'm at least trying to stop this thing if the brakes malfunction), stereo speakers, sealed up the cab holes, replaced a bad battery, replaced the alternator belts, ordered backup brake MC kit, air pack kit, wheel cylinders, u joints and a boot all for the tool box.

Another Ahab

Ohhh, I get it now, capice:

- The block on the truck (dozer?) cracked under load from attempting extraction of a TUB grinder.

When I read "grinder" I was thinking like an ANGLE grinder and the whole picture in my mind was fuzzy (not the first time; DOH!)

MUD CLUTCH

I got a buddy who used to work on these 5-tons in the army, he was telling me they had alot of the t/case cracking because of rocking them back and forth trying to get them unstuck,but I can see a free spinning wheel catching traction causing extreme pressure on the t/case , that's alot of rotating inertia, most big trucks I have worked on usually twist or snap an axle when that happens

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well with torque converter multiplication plus transfer case and then axles. In 6x6 low 1st its tremendous torque.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab,
To help you understand I'll try to translate it into the Olde English that the early Virginians would have spoken thusly....

"Ye cracketh doth leaketh mind ye in the most copious of qauntities having overburdened yon beast beyondeth her extremes. Aye, her cogs and crags engageth not forevermore."

Csm Davis

I got a buddy who used to work on these 5-tons in the army, he was telling me they had alot of the t/case cracking because of rocking them back and forth trying to get them unstuck,but I can see a free spinning wheel catching traction causing extreme pressure on the t/case , that's alot of rotating inertia, most big trucks I have worked on usually twist or snap an axle when that happens
Yeah I have seen lots of twisted driveshafts from big rigs but the M931 has a very short shaft and good axles and he had 50,000 lbs+ on the truck so no slipping tires and a good full throttle pull something had to give and it is normally the transfer case or transmission on these trucks that will give up first. Not going to say they are weak but just the weakest link. As to anyone who thinks they are weak come watch me do wheelies in my 40,000 wrecker, they aren't weak but can be broken.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks