• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

my76fj40

The ramps don't look sturdy enough to support the 3500-4000lbs without some support in the middle. But I'm assuming the math doesn't lie. Looks a lot easier to handle than anything I would make.

tobyS

I don't see a center support. He said they don't look safe because they don't look safe. I'd wager on at least one side collapsing in the middle, if you use them as shown. That Jeep would look great laying on it's side.

big block 88

Man some of you fellas personalities need some serious re-evaluation it seems. While i dont think those ramps are the sturdiest looking, im not going to sit in my internet throne and talk down to him. Definately not going to wish ill on him by stating his jeep would look great on its side.

Im assuming you must be a mechanical engineer to know for a fact that they will fail? Do you know the wall thickness of the metal? Do you know the center point tie in methods? He stated there is a center support.... Perhaps he has already removed it or is that just impossible?

It just baffles me that so many here on this site like to bash be negative, belittle, and just make fellow MV enthusiasts feeling like ****....

Luckily there are some good guys on here still who want to help and encourage others. It just shows the sad state of this once great nation as it gets taken over by know it alls that know so much no one will ever understand there level of intelligence .

Last edited:

tobyS

Man some of you fellas personalities need some serious re-evaluation it seems. While i dont think those ramps are the sturdiest looking, im not going to sit in my internet throne and talk down to him. Definately not going to wish ill on him by stating his jeep would look great on its side.

Im assuming you must be a mechanical engineer to know for a fact that they will fail? Do you know the wall thickness of the metal? Do you know the center point tie in methods? He stated there is a center support.... Perhaps he has already removed it or is that just impossible?

It just baffles me that so many here on this site like to bash be negative, belittle, and just make fellow MV enthusiasts feeling like ****....

Luckily there are some good guys on here still who want to help and encourage others. It just shows the sad state of this once great nation as it gets taken over by know it alls that know so much no one will ever understand there level of intelligence .

I've been doing engineering (mechanical and electrical) since 74 and on 95% of my threads I seek to help people or provide the OP with some useful information. That wasn't an attack on him personally like you seem to be doing.

How long have YOU been an engineer? You think because someone uses CADD that it makes a structure that won't fail? Do you know the tensile strength of that tube? Do you know the cross sectional area?

If I get him to put more substantial support under the middle, who will have provided more useful information? Sorry to offend you or the OP...he did ask why I would say what I said.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added the front steps to the bottom of the boxes a while back. I had been using the curved headlight guards as handles, but they were a bit rough on the hands. I used some grab irons from an MK48 cab upgrade kit. They also double as light guards for those low limbs hanging out in the trails.

20160530_162028.jpg

20160701_223147.jpg

I also adjusted the wiper arms and blades so they are out of sight when driving. I'm not ducking to see traffic lights anymore.

20160704_123348.jpg

tobyS

You bet your Jeep each time you use it.

What size and thickness wall tube are you using? It looks like 2" x 2" x1/8" thick or less. I see a heavy expanded metal and a full weld around a cross support but the tube beam strength seems to be low for a 4K # car. I know you say they are held in place well but the center of gravity is extremely high and once things start moving....I win. Now really my friend, I don't want that to happen to you.

big block 88

I've been doing engineering (mechanical and electrical) since 74 and on 95% of my threads I seek to help people or provide the OP with some useful information. That wasn't an attack on him personally like you seem to be doing.

How long have YOU been an engineer? You think because someone uses CADD that it makes a structure that won't fail? Do you know the tensile strength of that tube? Do you know the cross sectional area?

If I get him to put more substantial support under the middle, who will have provided more useful information? Sorry to offend you or the OP...he did ask why I would say what I said.
im not an engineer. Im a fabricator, so i have common sense. Im kidding of course (kind of) some engineers are one step away from drooling on themselves.

It was not really an attack or jab at you. I have been cruising threads here lately and i see so much negativity and dressing down to other members i just wanted to comment. I dont get offended and i cant speak for the OP.

To the OP i "ass"ume the guys by asking about a center support refer to a leg or folding gear system. I would HIGHLY recomend doing a removable or folding leg support in the center of the ramps. Metal can bend quite a bit but once it kinks or fatigues thays all she wrote man. It wouldnt need anything fancy perhaps a removable and adjustable legs that pin in place or hinge.

Any way lets get back to the 5 ton mods and PM's proceedures.

Last edited:

Smckerigan

im not an engineer. Im a fabricator, so i have common sense. Im kidding of course (kind of) some engineers are one step away from drooling on themselves.

It was not really an attack or jab at you. I have been cruising threads here lately and i see so much negativity and dressing down to other members i just wanted to comment. I dont get offended and i cant speak for the OP.

To the OP i "ass"ume the guys by asking about a center support refer to a leg or folding gear system. I would HIGHLY recomend doing a removable or folding leg support in the center of the ramps. Metal can bend quite a bit but once it kinks or fatigues thays all she wrote man. It wouldnt need anything fancy perhaps a removable and adjustable legs that pin in place or hinge.

Any way lets get back to the 5 ton mods and PM's proceedures.

I aggree with adding a folding support leg under the raised section . Thanks for the thought on this.

tobyS

My engineering started at Square D Company in the engineering lab building prototypes of up to 4000 amp devices and heat rise testing them for UL listing. If you've ever wired 16 500mcm cables per phase + neutral and then put 4000 amps through it to see how hot it gets....your engineering is quite "hands on". My job was to take what senior engineers designed, have it made in the manufacturing plant, assemble it, test it, redesign and re-test and MAKE THINGS WORK...very hands-on.

I design, build, manufacture and install sawmill equipment which takes a beating and have a another line in design and fabricating, installing and maintaining pneumatic high security jail locks for older jails with failing gear-motor remote systems. I save communities millions of dollars when they cannot afford a new jail.

I own 7-8 welders and use them (well, 5 are stuck in a trailer of machinery and I leave one on a job-site). How many times have you found yourself with a torch in one hand and a welding stick in the other? And how scarred up is you left arm from hot metal and burning paint? I have the scars...most of which heal.

Last edited:

tobyS

16#/ft. Cant be that hard with engineering experience to figure out the thickness.
Bull. I offered up a size and you have not confirmed it. Tubing is not sold by weight per foot and that tube is NOT 16# per foot.

Last edited:

tobyS

It didn't happen without pictures...

Seems like someone had their feelings as well as their arm hurt?
Apparently you can't answer with facts, like proving the tubing size is proper with beam strength, you have to attack my experience.

Hey, I really don't care if the car falls off when a side gives out, he put it up there and that's my opinion.

I have yet to see a true measure of the tube and it is NOT 16# per foot.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ramps are 10 feet long and the weight is about 160 lbs each
Awesome looking ramps, deserve there own thread!
If they held up to the 5,000lb jeep once that's a **** of a starting point.
Could you get a measurement of how much arch you have built into you ramps?
I'm thinking of making a set and bridging the bottom of the arch with some flat strap.
And yes, the tubing size and thickness would be great as as well.

tobyS

The ramps are 16#/ft. More math needed!
Give an actual dimension. They don't make a 16# 2x2 tube. What is that tubes size and thickness...in measured dimension?

Edit...apparently you come up with 16# from the combined weight of the tube, cross-members and grating, being 10 foot long and having a total weight of 160#. The grate appears to be half the weight. Take the end and center and those re-bar handles off (80 - 20 = 60 between the two), thus each 10' tube is about 30#. In a 2x2 tube, 3 pounds per foot is closest to .125 thickness (weighs 3.188#/ft).
Apparently you use 11 ga 2x2 or maybe 10 ga.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see that the "argument" is cooling down here.

i am reminded of a few noteworthy points.

1. The TITANIC was designed by engineers. (Take that however you'd like.)

2. We are all just a bunch of little kids in adult bodies trying to do the best that we can.... The playground (the SS Forums) is a public park, please play well with the other children.

3. Should those Jeep ramps ever collapse remember it's not the fall that kills you - It's the sudden stop at the bottom that'll git ya every time. (AKA: It's not the fear of falling, but the desire to stay alive that keeps us from getting too close to the edge.)

4. Look past a man's communication methods and hear his heart's concern whenever his message first offends. He may truly have YOUR best interests at heart.

Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks