• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

auaauaauaauaauaauaaua
Rule of thumb on any engine when you lose a belt or suspect overheating. Drive for 5 minutes, stop for 10 minutes. and cycle it depending on outdoor temps.
I know... I know that rule. I don't know why I didn't stop. I drove right past a friends house. I should have pulled in and shut it down. I was late for a hot date though. I think that was affecting my better judgment.

l3oss

Added front bumper lower shackles. If you do it remember to ask for hardware, the 'long' bolts are indeed longer.
View attachment 443180
Completed rear 2" Civilian Hitch Receiver w/ Tow Bar and Chain slung over for good measure. I might sell the parts to do this soon, you weld it all up, parts are water jet cut. I am VERY happy w/ the results. You buy the 16,000# Rated Horizontal Bar, bolt it up, weld it up and paint it up. EASY. Adding weight to the rear is very DESIRABLE. This prob adds 400 or so.
View attachment 443181
View attachment 443182
View attachment 443183
View attachment 443184

are you selling this DIY kit now artisan?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have lots of the longer bolts for adding the lower anchors if anyone needs them

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

I know... I know that rule. I don't know why I didn't stop. I drove right past a friends house. I should have pulled in and shut it down. I was late for a hot date though. I think that was affecting my better judgment.
The rule of thumb might usefully apply there, also:

- Drive for 5 minutes; stop for 10 minutes.
- Repeat until everybody's happy.:naner::mrgreen:

Last edited:

74M35A2

Engines heat soak after shutdown. Their temperature actually goes up before finally dropping a long while later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakelc15

Even with a locked up water pump you can still use that rule of thumb. coolant can cool down quickly in 10mins. Sometimes as much as 30 degrees if it is a cool day outside. As long as it does not reach boiling. Helps also if you are in hill country. Kill your engine going down hill and coast refire on the climb.
Careful cutting them off while coasting, the steering is near non existent when the power steering pump isn't pumping.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Careful cutting them off while coasting, the steering is near non existent when the power steering pump isn't pumping.
When you are moving at speed it does not steer bad at all. Just slow reacting. Now under 15mph. Yeah you better have your guns on.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

74M35A2

I see a thermostat, DC-DC converter, 2 relays, and 100 crimp/butt connectors. Are they 12v relays so you are driving them with the small 24-12 converter on the coil side through the t-stat? Flip your board or relays 90 degrees clockwise so the relays don't fill with water. Fan layout looks good, let us know how it works.

ross165123

20160915_212040.jpg
This is how I started with the intentions of making it neat, but I got impatient. I know not the cleanest install. I taped into the alternator for power for the fans so when I turn the truck off the fans go off.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you doing the rear also? I was thinking the same thing. I've blown 3 of the 14.00 tires so far and am down to my last spare. How much did new tires run?
from page 56

Sorry for taking a year to reply, yes I am doing the rears, a year later. Thats one nice thing about it being a toy, it doesnt matter if it gets done or not. Caps with no casings cost me about $250, cheapest virgin tires i could find with big lugs was about $100 more. If you are considering doing this, find a big truck junk yard, you can get aluminum rims for about $75 each, $35-50 each for steel wheels. They are Budd style so there should be plenty available to choose from. Just make sure and get the correct thimble lug nuts for which ever wheel you get. There are steel/steel, steel/AL, and AL/Aluminum thimbles.

This is what I got done today.... only 2 mounted on rims and put on the truck. Going to use crossfire tire equalizers, and going to play with trying to reinstall the CTIS. I dont think there is enough room for all of that, but I will attempt it.

IMG_0447[1].jpg

Last edited:

Amer-team

Replaced the shoe string type material on the Jumper port cap, with 6" of tan para cord. Used a couple of electrical connectors, ground the plastic off of them, spread them, put in the cord and crimped them with the electrical crimpers. It made for a nice clean up of something that has been an irritation since I got the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks