• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Participated in our local Riley days parade today with Cub Scout pack #254. Beautiful weather and talked to a gentleman parked next to me that restored this 1974 fire truck from a rusty mess to what you see now and painted this mural on top with all the fallen fire fighters name and company from 9/11.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get the whole 5-ton spinning, then you could drive through mountain ranges and not worry about stuff like tunnels with all that mess and expense.

Of course you'd need the drilling kit instead of a fording kit. It's in the TM I bet.
Go for it! :driver::mrgreen:
Sounds to me like the beginnings of a perpetual motion drive modification. Remove the boat anchor under the hood and add a handcrank in the front with a shaft going to the transmission. Spin her up and away you go. Save thousands in fuel costs every year. I can see it now....the Engine Delete Kit will be the next big thing this Christmas. :mrgreen:

Not to make light of your situation Quarkz. You seem to have kept your cool through the ordeal. That's more than I can say for me if I looked through the hole in the floorboard to see a spinning tranny.

Another Ahab

Sounds to me like the beginnings of a perpetual motion drive modification. Remove the boat anchor under the hood and add a handcrank in the front with a shaft going to the transmission. Spin her up and away you go. Save thousands in fuel costs every year. I can see it now....the Engine Delete Kit will be the next big thing this Christmas.
That's the EDK, to those in the know. :doghead: [thumbzup]

Another Ahab

Not to make light of your situation Quarkz. You seem to have kept your cool through the ordeal. That's more than I can say for me if I looked through the hole in the floorboard to see a spinning tranny.
No kidding, that picture does NOT conjure up a warm-and-fuzzy feeling:

- "Cool, my transmission is spinning!!"

Ford Mechanic

No floor mat in mine and the Trans dipstick you can axcess easily under the hood. Right over top the starter. Mine is a 923A2. Is yours a A1?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

603hellmutt

Finished installing new fuel water separator, now to try and hunt down the section of fuel hose that goes from the tank to the separator. So far my search is coming up dry

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Had my first issue on my cross country travels. Had a pretty good hole in the radiator from 2 or 3 places. Was losing around 4 gallons and hour. I put some black pepper in it and dropped it to 1 gallon ever 4 hours of running. Made it back home a few days later. Swapped out the radiator for a used one I had laying around. Figured I would go ahead and winterize it so I installed a new thermostat and replaced all the hoses. Sucks that I couldn't find them all the same color on short notice. Added a new fan clutch that I had on the shelf since mine would make a nice metal sound when it does engage on rare occasions. Ran a hose thru the engine ports and Did a 60/40 mix on the antifreeze and 2 bottles of SCA additives. Went with some heavy duty hose clamps from NAPA. got tired of the old worm clamps.

Radiator wasn't too bad of a job doing it alone. Took me about an hour. Standing on the back side of the grille to get it out was not much fun though. I did not reinstall my electric fans yet since I am going to do a AC condenser and oil cooler install maybe this week.

Did some new grounds on the gauges on the dash. Coolant temp gauge and sensor still act retarded. Was acting fine now it is pegging out again orjust climbing. I always check my whole truck with a temp gun when I stop for fuel and what not. Ill add a new sensor into a different port tomorrow. Added a new light switch since mine was not working on "Stop lights". and a few other general maintenance stuff.

Attachments

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had my first issue on my cross country travels. Had a pretty good hole in the radiator from 2 or 3 places. Was losing around 4 gallons and hour. I put some black pepper in it and dropped it to 1 gallon ever 4 hours of running. Made it back home a few days later. Swapped out the radiator for a used one I had laying around. Figured I would go ahead and winterize it so I installed a new thermostat and replaced all the hoses. Sucks that I couldn't find them all the same color on short notice. Added a new fan clutch that I had on the shelf since mine would make a nice metal sound when it does engage on rare occasions. Ran a hose thru the engine ports and Did a 60/40 mix on the antifreeze and 2 bottles of SCA additives. Went with some heavy duty hose clamps from NAPA. got tired of the old worm clamps.

Radiator wasn't too bad of a job doing it alone. Took me about an hour. Standing on the back side of the grille to get it out was not much fun though. I did not reinstall my electric fans yet since I am going to do a AC condenser and oil cooler install maybe this week.

Did some new grounds on the gauges on the dash. Coolant temp gauge and sensor still act retarded. Was acting fine now it is pegging out again orjust climbing. I always check my whole truck with a temp gun when I stop for fuel and what not. Ill add a new sensor into a different port tomorrow. Added a new light switch since mine was not working on "Stop lights". and a few other general maintenance stuff.
Funny you mentioned the color of the hoses. I just got some 5/8" blue silicone hose in for the heater hoses and coolant filter hoses so they'll all match. Looks like you got a box of rainbows. :mrgreen:

What are you going to do with the old fan clutch?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
it will sit on the shelf until someone has a home for it. Just make me an offer on it and I can bring it to the rally.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My truck I think is weird. Cause I never hear the fan clutch come on but every so often even when grossing 65k +. The electric fans do a good job. but still towing that heavy over mountains and I will stop somewhere and get out and hit the temp gun thru the passengers side inner fender liner onto the rear of the thermo housing and im sitting at 170 and 154 on the radiator. The bottom freeze plugs next to the exhaust are around 250 or so near exhaust temp.

and yes the stutterstat is good.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it will sit on the shelf until someone has a home for it. Just make me an offer on it and I can bring it to the rally.
Bring it with ya. I'll deal on it with you at the rally.

My trans temp gauge did the same thing your coolant temp gauge is doing. I ran dedicated grounds and replaced the sending unit but neither fixed the problem. Turned out to be the gauge even though it was acting like a bad ground. If it turns out your gauge is bad then let me know. I think I have a new one I can bring with me.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Bring it with ya. I'll deal on it with you at the rally.

My trans temp gauge did the same thing your coolant temp gauge is doing. I ran dedicated grounds and replaced the sending unit but neither fixed the problem. Turned out to be the gauge even though it was acting like a bad ground. If it turns out your gauge is bad then let me know. I think I have a new one I can bring with me.

Gauge is brand new. I have a whole box full of assorted new ones. I may throw another one in but today for awhile it ran dead center then it just started being stupid after restarting a few times to just let the truck cycle. Oh well. I will bring it with me. Thanks.

jrntree

OK, I finally had a few minuets to look into the trans issue on the M929A2 locking up....
thank you for the pointer I found the button on the end of the high/low handle was not coming all the way out so the interlock was doin its job and now with the button is in the out possession it is workin great. Thanks again John R.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Gauge is brand new. I have a whole box full of assorted new ones. I may throw another one in but today for awhile it ran dead center then it just started being stupid after restarting a few times to just let the truck cycle. Oh well. I will bring it with me. Thanks.
Gauge is not operating fine. Was a Bad New Sending unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks