• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

big block 88

Which way is the water flowing to the heater core? Is the hose by the thermostat the OUT flow to the core and the hose in the oul cooler the return?

A1 NHC250 if that matters any.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Which way is the water flowing to the heater core? Is the hose by the thermostat the OUT flow to the core and the hose in the oul cooler the return?

A1 NHC250 if that matters any.
The outlet by the temp sending unit thru the heater core and into the lower housing20161029_190300.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

That woulda been priceless. Alas, no, we keep it nearby so we can keep the leaves clear when we drop things.
That's pretty smart, I got to give it to you.

I was working outside in the driveway yesterday, and accidentally smacked against the countersink I was working with and off it went into the dropped leaves under some shrubs.

I was cursing a blue streak (stupid, but I do it anyway; it blows off steam). I decided I'd give it 2-3 solid undivided minutes to try and find it, and then just commit to buy a new one if no luck. The verdict? No luck.

That thing is GONE; it burned me up to go through that.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
That's pretty smart, I got to give it to you.

I was working outside in the driveway yesterday, and accidentally smacked against the countersink I was working with and off it went into the dropped leaves under some shrubs.

I was cursing a blue streak (stupid, but I do it anyway; it blows off steam). I decided I'd give it 2-3 solid undivided minutes to try and find it, and then just commit to buy a new one if no luck. The verdict? No luck.

That thing is GONE; it burned me up to go through that.
Go get an antique "B" drive or something and get the huge magnet out of it or at least and old hard drive with those powerful magnets and put a string on it and drag it thru the dirt and leaves.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a shelter for the trucks put up last week. Ran my conduit,wiring, and hung some of the lights today.
Very nice and clean install!
Looks plenty bright too.

Not sure how high winds get there , but I couldn't have something like that open on both ends here.
Really strong winds, like we can get here, can really do damage to Lightweight structures.
Open both ends and it Acts like a Venturi.

Usually tears something up. No matter how much it's tied down.

Another Ahab

Very nice and clean install!
Looks plenty bright too.

Not sure how high winds get there , but I couldn't have something like that open on both ends here.
Really strong winds, like we can get here, can really do damage to Lightweight structures.
Open both ends and it Acts like a Venturi.

Usually tears something up. No matter how much it's tied down.
Apparently that shed is rated for winds up to 130 mph; who'd have guessed that?!

Josh

Got the trans removed from the truck today. Found 3 of the 6 flex plate to crank bolts had snapped. Got drill them and easy out them tomorrow. Two where loose and mangled the threads but the holes are still round. One was still tight and in good shape. Anyone know what the size of the bolts/TPI are so I can go buy a tap and some new ones? I tried looking in the TM but I didn't see where to find bolt sizes. Any help would be appreciated.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got the trans removed from the truck today. Found 3 of the 6 flex plate to crank bolts had snapped. Got drill them and easy out them tomorrow. Two where loose and mangled the threads but the holes are still round. One was still tight and in good shape. Anyone know what the size of the bolts/TPI are so I can go buy a tap and some new ones? I tried looking in the TM but I didn't see where to find bolt sizes. Any help would be appreciated.
If it is a NHC250 the cunmins number is 180175. It is a 1/2" x 1.25" bolt. Prob fine thread. Best to get it from cummins parts

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently that shed is rated for winds up to 130 mph; who'd have guessed that?!
I don't think she could hold up to 130 mph winds but that's what they advertise. If I enclosed all sides I would have to permit it which means 15' off each property line and that wouldn't have worked for my approach with the 5 ton or being able to use the existing concrete that was there. They installed concrete anchors every 3' and mobile home anchors in 7' of the gravel section.

Last edited:

big block 88

Block heater in, new thermostat, coolant filter is in and plumbed but i sprung a leak and had to turn the ball valves off till i can get it fixed. Looks like the one and only hose i was trying to reuse bit me and sprung a leak. Ooooorrrr. My heater core is leaking wont know till i have more light.

The new thermostat made a HUGE difference, it gets to 180* fairly quick and then just stays there no matter how hard i run it. Granted its only 65* here today but i locked it in 3rd and made it spin 2000 rpm up some steep long hills and it didnt break a sweat.

Dad is rigging up a cold weather front for it with wood sheeting wrapped in OD green vinyl.​

Attachments

big block 88

Heres 2 weeks ago. Took 2 days to get that stump out. The 5 ton refused to give me low range no matter what i tried. After the job was finished i dumped all the air in the tanks and the truck went right into low range. Guess i have a sticky dump valve on the transfer.

Also got the winch working that weekend also. Just required some knocker loose and a BFH and it freed the spool valve right up and works beautiful now.

Attachments

Josh

If it is a NHC250 the cunmins number is 180175. It is a 1/2" x 1.25" bolt. Prob fine thread. Best to get it from cummins parts

Your right on the part number. But the bolts I pulled out were 5/8" x 1.25". It is a fine thread, 5/8 x 18TPI bolt. Cummins wants 42 bucks a bolt. Im going to tap the threads another 1/4in to 1/2in into the crank to put a longer bolt.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Your right on the part number. But the bolts I pulled out were 5/8" x 1.25". It is a fine thread, 5/8 x 18TPI bolt. Cummins wants 42 bucks a bolt. Im going to tap the threads another 1/4in to 1/2in into the crank to put a longer bolt.
Ive got some if you need them. 30$ shipped for all of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks