• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the original hood was just beat to **** then? I have moved them around before and i know they arent light by any means i cant imagine tryin to place it and bolt ot without the skid steer or hoist.
It was a "fresh" RRAD overhauled truck then a forklift made a personal touch on the hood. It would never be straight even if it was sent to a fabricator..also the NOS hood was $150. :naner:The wrecker did most of the heavy lifting but getting it all back together right and tight was the trouble.

gottaluvit

Hauled some limestone. So much less stress now since I have a 46 (46,000 GVWR) sticker. They never could give me the five tons I would ask for. Always overloaded me. I guess I could have tailgated, but didn't feel right doing that and coming back across the scales. Six tons on this five ton effort.

20170118_115126.jpg

I have a pic of the area I put it but with two tries it wouldn't upload. Big Bro must not be letting me with the Trump sign along that driveway.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck!

Any chance the scales had a readout that you can read while crossing, so you can see your front and rear axle weights separately?

I assume the bed is centered over the rears and front axle weight doesn't change much though?

Are going to add side boards to take full advantage of your 46k sticker?

gottaluvit

Thank you jbulach. It's filthy now. I usually keep it cleaner but knew it would be right back in the mess out there often this winter. On a positive note, I plan to paint the whole truck this year after all the work it has to do this Spring. The salt is exposing the poor work I did trying to make it look "descent" with Rapco rattle cans and I will be able to see what areas need media blasted and prepped correctly.

No, can't see the scales, even in the office. Only the person at the desk can. The bed is indeed centered over the rear axles.

I don't really think I will load it that heavy (or much more than the 5 cubic yards), but the driveway will be cut in better come Spring and I paced the distance that load spread and paced overall distance (approximately 1/8 mile) and for each level (size of stone) I will need 22 loads. Just might put sideboards on and still baby it driving slow and easy just to knock some loads off the total. I raised the GVW to accomodate the M1082 trailer loaded as well as the truck loaded.

Got the fender and lights back on from the engine swap. Put on the oil filter conversion kit, which is awesome other than a pesky class 1 oil leak, just a drop every now and then. Put on a new flasher relay, I have been have turn signal issues since I got the truck and that seems to have fixed the issue. Was a very productive weekend.

twisted60

Got started on the fix for my Flashing Parking Brake issue, found the problem thanks to The Hulk and some digging in the TM's. Turned out to be the parking Brake Pressure Switch (the little switch that completes the ground when you lower the Parking Brake Handle.

Now to figure out how to change it, anyone have an easy way to get the switch out ? And a part number ? I have looked in the TM's but not finding anything about the Switch, I found lots on the parking brake but not the switch.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I got these as well. They are good, but with constant on and off at the service and emergency, they will not be the last ones you buy as they state..
Just I just buy the techtran ones that cost like .75 cents each. They last just as long.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Got started on the fix for my Flashing Parking Brake issue, found the problem thanks to The Hulk and some digging in the TM's. Turned out to be the parking Brake Pressure Switch (the little switch that completes the ground when you lower the Parking Brake Handle.

Now to figure out how to change it, anyone have an easy way to get the switch out ? And a part number ? I have looked in the TM's but not finding anything about the Switch, I found lots on the parking brake but not the switch.
I have this same issue. I'm curious on the info about it as well. Also not sure I'd it correct or not but when the lights are on the high beam indicator light is always on. It just gets blindingly bright when I switch to high beams any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FullSpecial

I have this same issue. I'm curious on the info about it as well. Also not sure I'd it correct or not but when the lights are on the high beam indicator light is always on. It just gets blindingly bright when I switch to high beams any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Is it on with just parking lights? If not check your grounds at the headlight buckets. If it is check the ground on the hood itself.
I doubt the latter as you said nothing about turn signals. Could be the dimmer switch, corroded/carbon on the inside. Pull
wire #17 at the dimmer to check that.

Is it on with just parking lights? If not check your grounds at the headlight buckets. If it is check the ground on the hood itself.
I doubt the latter as you said nothing about turn signals. Could be the dimmer switch, corroded/carbon on the inside. Pull
wire #17 at the dimmer to check that.
Everything works properly I believe. It's whenever I have the headlights on no matter what position of any other part of the switch.

twisted60

Reference my post #5547, I was able to repair the switch, it is a sealed unit but what I found was deteriorated insulation which I covered with heat shrink and put it all back together, now just need to adjust the arm a little to get the warning horn to stop right when I lower the parking brake handle with out having to provide a love tap to the mount. Now all is working even sorted out my horn issue while I had the drivers seat out.

Tomorrow I'll be checking out the front wheel drive, I came across a post/thread talking about air lines being hooked up wrong on the transfer case and keeping the front axle engaged all the time. I'll post results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks