• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Snowtiger

Your thoughts and prayers are very appreciated, I am a very private person but I have found this a very overwhelming situation to be in. All I can say is I know she is in a better place and she would be telling me to always do the right thing. I have seen how close this community is and it makes the heart and spirit feel better sharing a bit of my life with folks that have not lost the common thread of kindness. Thanks again everyone we may have a border between us but we still share the same challenges that life puts in front of us, god bless

71DeuceAK

Anytime. There's a lot of good people in the MV hobbyist community, I met a couple good friends thanks to Wtwel Soldiets. One ended up being my first college roommate, I kid you not. I know it sounds cliche but if you just need someone to
talk to, PM me.

Mos68x

Although said many times over you and your loss will be in my thoughts and prayers. Time never seems to heal the pain, only to reduce it to a dull ache.

Wagoneer

Finally finished up the winch install. It was not difficult hands on work, just getting all the correct parts together up was a job.
Finally found a A2 cab control housing for the low price of $591.25 from a vendor so that sparked enough motivation to modify the A1 and make it work. I tucked it up under the dash just a bit so the controls still work but did not take up all the leg room
Winch Front.jpg Winch Control.jpg

tobyS

Finally finished up the winch install. It was not difficult hands on work, just getting all the correct parts together up was a job.
Finally found a A2 cab control housing for the low price of $591.25 from a vendor so that sparked enough motivation to modify the A1 and make it work. I tucked it up under the dash just a bit so the controls still work but did not take up all the leg room
View attachment 692992 View attachment 692993
Wow, control was pricey...but nice work and you got er goin! Enjoy.

tobyS

I've used other cable setups and don't always see the OEM as best. But I know you like OEM, so all is well. I try and give SS a significant price savings but it's clear some don't.

Since my M35A3 doesn't have the exhaust close, like your 5 ton, I'm probably going to air for the PTO engagement. I shouldn't have got the positive displacement pump because now I want a pressure compensated system with 24vdc remote operated. No cables involved then but valves and pump are entirely different.

Wagoneer

I am not so much OEM but what is going to work best for the price. I was looking at linear actuators but the safety factor will not work. What I really want is a Lodar wireless control for hydraulics, A 4 function control is $900 though so I can handle using the cab controls for now until I come up with something else.
Lodar 4.JPG

tobyS

I am not so much OEM but what is going to work best for the price. I was looking at linear actuators but the safety factor will not work. What I really want is a Lodar wireless control for hydraulics, A 4 function control is $900 though so I can handle using the cab controls for now until I come up with something else.
View attachment 693076
Sorry, thought you wanted to stay with military issue.

I'm several orders of magnitude under your budget. Here's one that I thought about using on flee bay, title: [h=3]
Solidremote 12 - 24V Wireless RF Remote Control Relay Switch Receiver 2-Channel
[/h]
is $18 and 4 channels can be had for under $40. My hydraulic valving is 24 vdc so I don't need air operators, except the PTO actuator.

I have a lot of short throw, small dia. air cylinders if you need some. Have surplus of 1.5" dia and 1.25" stroke.

Spyderman

Well today is took me 30 minutes to drive 2 miles. I was on my way to work. Just turned off of my street onto the main street and I look in my side mirror and see the rear set of tires on the drivers side sticking out farther than the front set. I stop and get out to check on it. YEP the passenger side dog bone on the bottom came off. Great! I have no way to get it back on sitting here in the road. I cant turn around because I live out in the country and the roads are narrow. So I have to back up to my street about a half mile. Then it's 1.5 miles to my house. I baby it all the way home. I have to go up and down a couple of big hills, so going up hill I lock the front so it will help pull the hills and not put so much on the rear. The bad thing is that my drive way is 1/4 mile long uphill. From the bottom to the top is a 200 foot elevation difference. But lucky for my I only had to go half way and could park it at my lower barn. I made it with nothing else going wrong. Now I will search the forum for how to fix it. Fun Fun Fun!!!!!

74M35A2

Same here. I had both rears making out with each other on one side when it happened to me in sand after cresting a steep hill. Pulled and held axle into position with 3" wide ratchet straps in forward and rear directions, 4 total, drove it home 70 miles (torque rod still disco'd), no hard braking allowed. Ordered new torque rod bushing insert end, will replace it, then drill and tap all with 1/2" bolt to fasten custom cut 5.5" diameter 3/8" thick steel washers onto the back of them to prevent slip-off as it happens going forward.

Looks like my A2 winch control tower is worth $500 when I yank it out soon. I've heard these are near non-existent in the spare parts market for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Wagoneer

Went ahead and did some maintenance and mods.
Changed the fuel filters and got a new belt, Had no idea the belt tensioner pulley was touching the back of the water pump clutch
8.3 Belt.jpg
Also installed a couple of cameras to aid in the gracefulness of its maneuverability
Front Camera.jpgFront Camera 1.jpgRear Camera.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took off fuel tank strainer, cleaned and resealed.
Was seeping fuel on a full tank. Gasket was installed wrong and allowed some fuel by.
All dry now.
52366213013__A2E5568B-2802-4732-A7D7-88D08061A3F4.jpg

Also had a very small pinhole that developed in weld of hydraulic fluid tank for winch.
Seeping just enough to make a mess.
Mig welder fixed it just fine.
IMG_6683.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks