• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

NovacaineFix

Made some High performance enhancements to old Fluffy, getting ready for a 500+ mile trip through the desert.

Installed a rear view mirror, so I can make sure the 105 trailer is still back there
20170820_134819.jpg

Performance Air freshener, Island Flavor (Nice)
20170820_134823.jpg

And of course a 24 volt converter for my navigation and cell phone do-dads and such.
Ran the converter to a 2-port 12V cigarette adapter that is mounted to the dash.
It runs on 12 or 24 volts and has a selectable output with display, love it
20170820_134839.jpg

Here is the link of you want one, only about $17

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:(

Dont be dissin' my ride homie!

I am sure they have had their fair share of problems, but the good ones never get noticed. Nobody ever posts "My RRAD didn't break down today! Dadgum RRAD trucks!"

Just sayin, that's all. My RRAD was done quite well.

dont worry, I don't take it personally. :)
Thinking about it I would hate have to disassemble a truck and put it back together. My truck has all new air lines and frame wiring and to only have two air lines crossed is not that bad. Once I put down the TM's and used my head I found the problem and fixed it in less than an hour. Thanks

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's a Mavic Pro.

I'll do some more videos soon. I was just trying some things out to see what worked best. I was out there for over an hour and only ended up with about 7 minutes of good video. It's not the Mavic's fault at all. It's amazing some of the things it can do. You just have to know how to tell it what you want it to do. I've got some more practicing to do on that end...

View attachment 695811
they are incredible machines when compared to the older, or even, the most recent DJI models, before the Mavic Pro. They knocked this one out of the park!

I see them using it on fishing shows a lot (I only care for Saltwater Experience and maybe, Into the Blue) but they use them extensively.

Learning to edit is the biggest challenge of taking a bunch of great footage and turning it into something that people will really want to watch. I have done videography and editing on a (semi-pro? Better than your average Joe? Not quite Pro?) level for a few years now. The Mavic can easily produce broadcast quality footage with consumer grade software. These cameras are incredibly powerful.

Csm Davis

You think RRAD did that? Or you think GL/GP (whoever you bought it from) did that? Wouldn't be the first time I've seen employees at auction places rigging the vehicles to fail so they could buy them cheap...or messing up vehicles when they go too cheap..... ****, I paid $900 for an M1010 at a local auction, and I should have got it for $100, but an EMPLOYEE of the auction company was bidding for 'himself'.. I don't even know how that's legal/ethical but, meh....It was clear to me he was only bidding to raise the price....

****, when I was younger and dumber, I used to go a ton of police auctions, and crown vics can be made to not shift out of park by disconnecting the brake switch @ the pedal....literally reach under the dash and a quick tug, and they'd go for dirt cheap because 'won't shift out of park'...... sometimes I'd smack the 1/4 panel where the fuel inertia shutoff switch was, which disables the fuel pump, and now you have a car that cranks but won't start... No one wanted to touch them so I got them cheap... Literally a 5 second fix... As essentially a kid, I saw it as 'gaming' the system, using my knowledge to my benefit... only later as I matured did I realize how unethical it was...

My truck was rebuilt by RRAD right before I got it... about 150 miles on a rebuild... it sat for 7 years, and all my problems were related to old rubber/age...(tire, fuel pressure sensor for ether, 1 inner tube).Pretty bulletproof other than that and I have close to 4k miles on it, drove it from Ft. Bragg to Seattle...
Love how folks think that GL/GP will disable or whatever to trucks to reduce their price, I am sure there are somethings that they have done that are not great or even legal in some instances but all I have ever seen was a push to get the highest price possible not lowest. This is what they are paid to do and if they aren't doing it well they can and will get fired. Now I have seen trucks and other things damaged by some folks inspecting before sales and I have seen people steal things but just because it was done doesn't make it GL/GP personnel that did it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking forward to bringing mine to the GA Rally.

they are incredible machines when compared to the older, or even, the most recent DJI models, before the Mavic Pro. They knocked this one out of the park!

I see them using it on fishing shows a lot (I only care for Saltwater Experience and maybe, Into the Blue) but they use them extensively.

Learning to edit is the biggest challenge of taking a bunch of great footage and turning it into something that people will really want to watch. I have done videography and editing on a (semi-pro? Better than your average Joe? Not quite Pro?) level for a few years now. The Mavic can easily produce broadcast quality footage with consumer grade software. These cameras are incredibly powerful.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's a Mavic Pro. Any of the tracking modes can be seamlessly adjusted on the fly with the tracking not being affected. It will just keep tracking at the new angles or speeds you change. For instance, when the drone panned around the truck in the field and changed elevation in the trees, it was because I made those adjustments.

The hard part is trying to do it while driving, even though it's flying itself. Obstacle detection is only in the front, and to get close to the ground for a side profile shot requires it to fly sideways, so you can still run into things in the different modes. The different modes and settings seem almost infinite and can be a bit overwhelming when you've got other things going on. Just a matter of finding something that works for what you want.

I'll do some more videos soon. I was just trying some things out to see what worked best. I was out there for over an hour and only ended up with about 7 minutes of good video. It's not the Mavic's fault at all. It's amazing some of the things it can do. You just have to know how to tell it what you want it to do. I've got some more practicing to do on that end...

View attachment 695811
I have the exact same setup, even the case. I started with a 3DR Solo. Good bird, but very glitchy. The Mavic is light years ahead of it. The two best mods I have bought yet for the Mavic is the one piece gimbal protector / lock and the FS Labs charger.

tobyS

Man, you guys have the coolest toys/tools. I could see having one on my farm and programming in a flight path, like going around the border and such.

I'm doing more mundane things like making a handle extension for the dump control lever and moving the seat belt reel. The handle was up against the reel and rubbed my fingers hard. Now I need to mount the reel part on the other side. This is a modified handle from a floor nailer...and silicone.

Attachments

6x6guy

Recently installed a duel output 12/24 volt 200 amp alternator in one of my 5 tons - batteries both on the 12 volt and 24 volt side charge faster,
going to upgrade the other 5ton truck in the near future.

Spyderman

Recently installed a duel output 12/24 volt 200 amp alternator in one of my 5 tons - batteries both on the 12 volt and 24 volt side charge faster,
I would like to do that one day.

Sent from my Webslinger using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this plan. I just might have to talk to my Alt guy about this!

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Did you buy it as a kit? Where and price?

Thanks!

someoldmoose

IMG_20170825_164555440.jpg
Finally, finally, FINALLY picked her up. Soooooooooo excited. She definitely needs lots love ( money ) to make her right, but like the Hokey Pokey says . . . That's wut it's ALL about.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations, I know you have been looking forward to this day for a while.

Just go drive it around and wave at everyone.

Then realize, the first investment is an air ride seat.

Congrats, welcome to the disease, I mean, club. Welcome to the club!

someoldmoose

Thanks Bwana, it surely is a disease, but a wonderful one to have. Drove 100 miles coming home to avoid highways and legs and butt were numb. Was fun getting my right foot on the brake pedal with the spring full soft and seat as far back as possible. I am 6' 2" and 275. The driver's area was very full. Now I know why the little soldiers get to drive. [thumbzup] :doh: Guys like me get the M-60 and ammo.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks