• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

74M35A2

Why do you guys run that much battery? Is it just the “more is better” thing going on? Does your alternator suck? Run a lot of loads with the engine off? Engine hard to start? Going hybrid?

I just see a lot of un-necessary cost and weight, but maybe there is something I don’t get. Don’t take it the wrong way. I do like to see people replacing batteries with new, as it greatly frees up the alternator for other tasks and should never need a battery charger after doing so.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you guys run that much battery? Is it just the “more is better” thing going on? Does your alternator suck? Run a lot of loads with the engine off? Engine hard to start? Going hybrid?

I just see a lot of un-necessary cost and weight, but maybe there is something I don’t get. Don’t take it the wrong way. I do like to see people replacing batteries with new, as it greatly frees up the alternator for other tasks and should never need a battery charger after doing so.
8Ds are less battery than stock...

Stock is 4 6TL..

6TL =

CCA @ 0F = 825 CCA
CA @ 32 F = 1010 CA
215 Mins RC @ 25 Amps

and they're in series/parallel so 24V instead of 12V and 2020 CA and 1650 CCA and 430 RC

8D =
1720 CA and 1400 CCA and 430 RC

So, you actually have less CA/CCA going 8D....

The NHC250 needs all the help it can get during cold starts.

I don't have a problem with 2 group 65's though, personally...

big block 88

I would say the main reason is winter. Going from 4 of the 6tl to 2 of the 8d we gain cranking amps but loose reserve.( these 6tl's were the 625 cca). On a bad winter day and with no block heater away from any power source, i want to spin those 855 cubes as fast as i can to get her to light off.

The 923 has a lot of accessories like ac, cb, blietooth for phones a stereo, and aux lighting. Aswell as an inverter so juice is good

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More is always better!!! More horse power, more gears, more amps... unless you drop something and cause a short, then more is BAD!

74M35A2

Understood, thanks, I need to think outside my block more, answer is to start the 250 engine, especially cold. Guess I'm spoiled, 8.3L with a modern gear reduction starter nearly fires-off with an Eveready 9V.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Their failure is rare. They are built very robust, and their duty cyle usage rate is very low. If you are not using it to prime your fuel system, they will last darn near forever, if not submerged.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their failure is rare. They are built very robust, and their duty cyle usage rate is very low. If you are not using it to prime your fuel system, they will last darn near forever, if not submerged.
I replaced the fuel hose on three of mine with braided steel hoses. Best upgrade I ever did. One sat for 9 months and didn’t loose a drop of prime. Fired off in an instant.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced the fuel hose on three of mine with braided steel hoses. Best upgrade I ever did. One sat for 9 months and didn’t loose a drop of prime. Fired off in an instant.
My air leak was the ether fuel pressure sensor.... The diaphragm leaked..... I replaced the lines from the tank to the spin on fuel filters I added, and most of the way to the IP.....

Let it sit for 6 months, and in the cold, it cranked over after a couple revolutions.... No issues since...

MKD73

Is there a cross reference part number for the gear reduction 11 tooth starter? I need to replace my starter and I am getting wore out just carrying the old one around.
Thanks!!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 4 days of hand stitching I got my back window zipper sewn back in place. It took 2 passes with a single needle saddle stitch and lots of industrial strength thread. It was actually somewhat therapeutic. Maybe I should join up with the quiltin' grannies down at the stitch-n-bitch...
20180207_163626-1.jpg
What I started with.

I also got a third seat belt installed for the kiddos.
20180402_173141.jpg
20180407_191457.jpg

And I finally cleaned off the anthrax looking junk on the stack that the previous two owners ignored.
2018-04-07 21.58.01.jpg

74M35A2

There is no part number, I custom build them from modern conventional components to fit each application. 24v is somewhat rare in US except for a few buses and most all off-road applications, so I don’t always have stock.

airmech3839

Hey guys I'm trying to help a non ss buddy out who is working on a m925a2. I'm looking to get him the TMs but the links for the m920 series are dead... anyone got them and mind sharing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks