• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

mdainsd

Finished replacing all the spring brake diaphragms. Found the main culprit of air loss, one of the diaphragms was severely cracked. That fixed a lot of the air loss, truck is drivable now.

Still wan to trace down any and all leaks. I want the air system top notch before I tear into it to install the ABS MWO kit. I don't want to be chasing gremlins from the past as I add new possibilities for issues (me).

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently, I broke it.

Somehow, after parking it overnight, i seem to have super late shifting into 3rd or missing 3rd altogether.

And... I just had the throttle stick wide open. Pedal wouldn't release.

No morning coffee needed when you have that kind of failure. Seems throttle/modulator connected after all.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put the truck to work hauling cottonseed.
F7AA22A8-E14D-404D-B0AC-B256478AC79B.jpg
7920 lbs of cottonseed to be exact. Didn’t notice it much at low speeds, but just couldn’t quite seem to get it up to 70 for some reason. Man, that cottonseed really weighs you down.
37E760A2-4C37-4294-889D-625148DF9B72.jpg

Last edited:

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my spare tire carrier mocked up. Nothing set in stone yet. The upper part of the derrick is bent, I think, so all address it in time. I'm going to have to grind the pogo stick (air line and electrical cord tower) mount off and remount it offset by 2 inches, other than that it's looking good. Other than that I'm still working on the brakes, two more pin holes in the lines under the cab, and a busted brake hose up front. :drool: I'm going to replace ALL the hard lines with all the brake hoses.

HPIM2398.jpgHPIM2399.jpgHPIM2400.jpgHPIM2401.jpgHPIM2402.jpgHPIM2403.jpgHPIM2404.jpg

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got my spare tire carrier mocked up. Nothing set in stone yet. The upper part of the derrick is bent, I think, so all address it in time. I'm going to have to grind the pogo stick (air line and electrical cord tower) mount off and remount it offset by 2 inches, other than that it's looking good. Other than that I'm still working on the brakes, two more pin holes in the lines under the cab, and a busted brake hose up front. :drool: I'm going to replace ALL the hard lines with all the brake hoses.

View attachment 728252View attachment 728253View attachment 728254View attachment 728255View attachment 728256View attachment 728257View attachment 728258

At least your shed has siding and a roof! :deadhorse:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ran some cooler lines from the transmission to the heat exchanger. The CAT does not like stop and go traffic when it is loaded. It tries to climb up. This will keep it at a steady 180. Made a new dipstick tube for the transmission as well. Replaced my oil filter. Replaced a spring brake can and tube. I had a pushrod bust and take out the whole tube. New mud flaps.

Did a bypass modification and eliminated the #7 double check valve behind the drivers step. I have had a few of these fail over the past year. I think the transmission may be demanding to much of it for its air flow. Has left me stranded a few times not giving the spring brake tank nor the transmission air and i had to bypass it to get going again. So I got rid of it all together and let the main air feed for that valve supply the dash valve, spring tank, and transmission without the double check valve. the single check is still there.

Installed a larger fuel tank on my drivers side of the truck.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Installed a Promariner 4 bank battery charger removed from a boat. It has multiple modes and looks to be doing a good job so far. It is mounted in the corner and out of the way. Should keep the batteries up to snuff and the cost (free) was right.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a Promariner 4 bank battery charger removed from a boat. It has multiple modes and looks to be doing a good job so far. It is mounted in the corner and out of the way. Should keep the batteries up to snuff and the cost (free) was right.
Very nice.

When I priced one out, they were around the $150 mark.. Good score....
If I may make a suggestion if you're going to make that a permanent fixture....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S/

or

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-13Amp-Integrated-Extension-Water-resistant/dp/B079M6BCW9

That way you have a waterproof connection, that you just plug your extension cord into...

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks TechnoWeenie. I thought about on of those, just not sure I want to put a 2" hole in the side of the cab.
Thats why God made 2" plastic hole covers (3', 4" ... etc). For when we change our minds. :)

For what it's worth, I have two of the NOCO's. I'd probably take them over the Mictuning plugs. For $1 more, the quality may be worth it.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally the transformation of the M929 is done, M929 now looks like a M930A1. The spare tire mount was the biggest job, adding the 2nd valve for the winch was not bad, just took a lot of time.
The bigger tires added about 7.5 mph to the truck

Attachments

tobyS

Looks good man....but I would have the rear troop seats torn up in no time. I kept my uprights to have the bows, but had to put wood where the slats are.

I like the big tires (they first looked like 16.00). I went to 395's. Have fun with it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks