• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Another Ahab

Automatic Lawnmowers (Goats) really are useful critters!
You might like this, Mullaney; read some funny story a while back about some big municipality with acres of solar panels hiring out goats to clean up the fields around the panel installations:

- They had a learning curve

- Now they contract sheep for that work

The goats were eating up parts of the solar panels (including cables).

TheQuaker

Best "natural" thing I have found for weed killing - that doesn't cause problems with my honeybees - is a table salt and vinegar mixture. If you have something better, don't hesitate to suggest it!
Well...According to my Dad (at least when I was a kid), the foremost "natural" way to get rid of weeds was to hand each of my sisters and I hand weeders (basically glorified flat-headed screwdrivers) along with empty buckets and point us to a field and tell us to get to work. ;)

That was his definition of proper eco-friendly weed control...and child labor... :LOL:

Swope

Well...this post isn't so much about what I did "to" my big girl, but more what I did "for" her (and her "little" Deuce sister as well).

I've been planning, preparing and saving up for quite awhile (including deferring a new planned MV sibling addition to next year) and finally pulled the trigger on some permanent infrastructure improvements for the farm that also benefit the big girls.

To complete phase one of the improvements, we pushed a ridiculous amount of sand and clay around to build a new, flatter lane and large laager area for my girls and any future siblings that may arrive. After a month of earthmoving weekends and laying down 150 yards of crushed asphalt my 5-Ton seems to approve of the results and her new digs...

View attachment 877336View attachment 877337View attachment 877338
Nice

Scatfast

I get the privilege of swapping and replacing a few (all but one) tires this week. Never done it before and learning through good old trial and error. I'm just taking my time and cleaning and recoating the contact and sealing surfaces on the wheels before I put them together with new o-rings.

It has been good to get out the tools and make sure I have all I need if I ever find myself on the road and in need of them. I am certainly going to make sure I have my impact driver when I go places.

Just to make sure, that rubber ring with the strap on it is not a run flat right? It seems like it is just for keeping the beads tight on the wheel.
20220903_111734.jpg20220903_111742.jpg20220905_123859.jpg

Valor

I get the privilege of swapping and replacing a few (all but one) tires this week. Never done it before and learning through good old trial and error. I'm just taking my time and cleaning and recoating the contact and sealing surfaces on the wheels before I put them together with new o-rings.

It has been good to get out the tools and make sure I have all I need if I ever find myself on the road and in need of them. I am certainly going to make sure I have my impact driver when I go places.

Just to make sure, that rubber ring with the strap on it is not a run flat right? It seems like it is just for keeping the beads tight on the wheel.
View attachment 878394View attachment 878395View attachment 878396
That's a bead lock. I took mine out.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well...this post isn't so much about what I did "to" my big girl, but more what I did "for" her (and her "little" Deuce sister as well).

I've been planning, preparing and saving up for quite awhile (including deferring a new planned MV sibling addition to next year) and finally pulled the trigger on some permanent infrastructure improvements for the farm that also benefit the big girls.

To complete phase one of the improvements, we pushed a ridiculous amount of sand and clay around to build a new, flatter lane and large laager area for my girls and any future siblings that may arrive. After a month of earthmoving weekends and laying down 150 yards of crushed asphalt my 5-Ton seems to approve of the results and her new digs...

View attachment 877336View attachment 877337View attachment 877338
I have parking lot envy. Very nice!

Superthermal

After an excellent dinner I started the process of busting my new 16.00s off the MRAP rims. Have 6 to go. I am crossing my fingers that my HEMTT rims will work with these run flats. I want to be running beads or anti-freeze in these babies so I don't have the BUNNIES that seem to live in the tires I already have. Anyone prefer one over the other? If so What is the measurement on either? 16 oz Antifreeze? I think I would prefer beads as I have no idea on Antifreeze attacking the rubber over time... not knowing what the exact composite compound of these tires is. I know radiator hoses are rubber... but they may be formulated different. Chime in to silence my fears and build my confidence in a proper solution.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT: SIMP is recommending 1 gallon for tires over 46" .

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Put the BOT into the Veterans Alliance 6th Annual Car Show and won the Veterans Alliance Choice award! All those nice classic rides and the MV takes top honors! I felt very proud to donate the the cause. Held at the Wheeler Farm Historic Site in Murray UT. View attachment 879686
Congratulations, Superthermal, kudos to you, Brother!

And that's some tough competition, too, there in the line-up. Nice show.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of adventures this weekend, but I took a detour on my 212 mile round trip to snag a picture of my machine on the Burma Road!

20221002_143930.jpg

I drove up to a killer car show and made an epic entrance by lighting up the jake brakes all the way into the parking area. There was a good turnout at the small show but the truck seemed to garner most of the attention.

20221001_134227.jpg
The pesky fuel leak returned and washed my fender, cowl and door with diesel on the hill climb up to the show so that was fun.

Then i drove up to my in-laws in the north Cascades after the show and was greeted with a cold beer even before I could shut the truck down and they had a steak dinner waiting for me! I was feeling pretty special. I got to use my winch for the first time ever to yank out a small tree and everything worked fine! It was a fun learning experience.

20221002_095245.jpg

Another Ahab

Lots of adventures this weekend, but I took a detour on my 212 mile round trip to snag a picture of my machine on the Burma Road!

View attachment 880941

I drove up to a killer car show and made an epic entrance by lighting up the jake brakes all the way into the parking area. There was a good turnout at the small show but the truck seemed to garner most of the attention.
Well, all the attention makes sense, US6x4, because your truck is looking mighty good!

:beer:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well lets see on My 925A1 I changed the oil and greased the chassis ordered and am installing a new O-Ring in my spare will get that remounted tomorrow Grease the leads on the winch and brought all the tires up to 75 PSI. Next week the truck will make it yearly trip to the lake house to pull out the boat lifts and dock, its a good 170 mile run for the old girl and it will be pulling a trailer with a tractor on it. I look forward to the run!

Ajax MD

I made my annual trip for pellet fuel in the M813. This time I brought along a visiting friend from Britain who is a WWII militaria junkie.
He absolutely loved it saying "It's much less agricultural than I expected." LOL. He thought the truck drove very smoothly.

Threading that beast through downtown Annapolis rush hour traffic is an ass-clenching experience. I made sure to do a thorough pre-check before setting out. That's where the best price for pellet fuel was this year, so...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks