• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I thinking correctly I think jack stands are rated per pair? If so 5 ton stands could be too light for a 5 ton truck depending on which axle, cargo load and truck variant.

Most are rated per pair. Commercial jack stands are rated ea.

Here's what I have for my deuce. They should work with the 5 ton as well. 12K lbs ea

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I welded mine out of large car wheels and heavy steel 3" pipe, with a chunk of channel on top to support the frame.

They do not adjust, that is what the big jack is for.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have any problems with title or registration when you first licensed it in Az.?
No, as the provision is written into the DMV instructions covering the licensing for Historic Vehicles.

One has to have at least the minimum insurance provided on it, but that isn't really a problem either since the state doesn't have a "no way" attitude in titles and registration to begin with.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attempted once again to remove the new family of stubborn and unusually sturdy wasps from the inside of the cab of my M931A2 .

Here's a vid:

It's a 100° here, I let that engine run at high idle for 15 20 min, as soon as I shut it down (I almost eradicated myself doing so) the wasps were bouncing off the glass trying to get back in, they are a large tough dedicated group that came with a boat I got about 2 weeks ago, I blasted them out of the boat with water and they moved into the truck, they are quite resilient to brake clean and high pressure water/drowning, so if this doesnt work I'll try those bombs that you set off and it fills the inside with toxic poison .

I can handle wasps, they hunker down and hang on when the truck is going down the road, you wouldnt even know they're there, but I can't trust them with my Grandson ridin round with me, he's already had a bout with some A-hole wasps and I had to run into a swarm of them and grab him out, bastards stung the both of us, it was unpleasant .

I have zero mercy for them at this juncture .

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I attempted once again to remove the new family of stubborn and unusually sturdy wasps from the inside of the cab of my M931A2 .

Here's a vid:

It's a 100° here, I let that engine run at high idle for 15 20 min, as soon as I shut it down (I almost eradicated myself doing so) the wasps were bouncing off the glass trying to get back in, they are a large tough dedicated group that came with a boat I got about 2 weeks ago, I blasted them out of the boat with water and they moved into the truck, they are quite resilient to brake clean and high pressure water/drowning, so if this doesnt work I'll try those bombs that you set off and it fills the inside with toxic poison .

I can handle wasps, they hunker down and hang on when the truck is going down the road, you wouldnt even know they're there, but I can't trust them with my Grandson ridin round with me, he's already had a bout with some A-hole wasps and I had to run into a swarm of them and grab him out, bastards stung the both of us, it was unpleasant .

I have zero mercy for them at this juncture .
If you need help, just ask. You don't have to do this... There are things to live for...

:oops:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How does he empty the shop vac?
Dawn dish soap and a few inches of water in the bottom of a WetVac works amazingly well. AND letting it sit outside in the sun for a few days helps ensure that they are like a roach motel - where the bugs check in - but they don't check out.

A bee vac isnt the same as what you use to rescue a honeybee colony (though it could work).

Valor

I disconnected one end of one of my driveshafts after an underneath inspection of my truck found some loose bolts holding the drivesaft to the axle flange. The flange at the axle was wobbly too. I found the big nut that holds the flange to the pinion shaft was loose. It has the cotter pin in it but it was loose. Gonna have to get the impact wrench out and fix that. Glad I found it. I'll check the other flanges too.Trans to front rear axle driveshaft.jpg

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I disconnected one end of one of my driveshafts after an underneath inspection of my truck found some loose bolts holding the drivesaft to the axle flange. The flange at the axle was wobbly too. I found the big nut that holds the flange to the pinion shaft was loose. It has the cotter pin in it but it was loose. Gonna have to get the impact wrench out and fix that. Glad I found it. I'll check the other flanges too.View attachment 901011
If the cotter pin was still through the castle nut and not sheared off, you likely have a pinion bearing problem that will need addressed.

Last edited:

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys. I’m kinda stuck with a decision. I went today to look at a few 5 ton 800 series trucks. I’ve had a 900 series before. They gentlemen extremely nice was telling me if it was up to him he would buy a 900 series over the 800 basically the biggest deciding factor was the brake’s being only single circuit and when they fail watch out. The 900 will still stop. I’m looking at the 818. He said it will be running condition lights everything working order. But now I’m thinking about the brake’s. Is there a way to prevent them from failing. Changing lines master cylinder anything. I know you guys have them so I’m reaching out to you for advice. Thank you guys.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys. I’m kinda stuck with a decision. I went today to look at a few 5 ton 800 series trucks. I’ve had a 900 series before. They gentlemen extremely nice was telling me if it was up to him he would buy a 900 series over the 800 basically the biggest deciding factor was the brake’s being only single circuit and when they fail watch out. The 900 will still stop. I’m looking at the 818. He said it will be running condition lights everything working order. But now I’m thinking about the brake’s. Is there a way to prevent them from failing. Changing lines master cylinder anything. I know you guys have them so I’m reaching out to you for advice. Thank you guys.

Having owned a deuce with air/hydraulic, and 2 939s... I had an air line failure on my M939 series. It stopped. The deuce would not have.

That was one of the main reasons I went back to an M939 from a deuce.

I realized the money needed to retrofit for a backup solution like 2nd circuit, or pinion brake, was better spent investing into a more user friendly truck,

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If the brake system is maintained in good condition I think the statement would be "if they fail" and not "when they fail".

A few things that can be done preemptively would be:
  • Changing out the rubber lines with new.
  • Make sure all hard-line clamps have rubber isolators/pads on them
  • Adding a remote reservoir (this will increase the brake fluid capacity which would give you an extra few pumps of the pedal before going dry)
  • Add Jake Brakes for supplemental braking
  • Convert to air brakes as @MyothersanM1 has (this is a very involved conversion but it's possible)
  • Add off-road pinion brakes

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the replies I was thinking about changing the lines hard and rubber and any leaking wheel cylinder. And if necessary replacing the master cylinder and air pack. So decision time he told me I could have the winch off another truck if I helped him. I guess it’s more involved then putting one on the 900 series which I had done before. I might ask him how much he would sell me the truck with winch on because it has a bad engine I guess. Then I can have a running truck and a parts truck. Thanks again for the help I’ll call him tomorrow.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the replies I was thinking about changing the lines hard and rubber and any leaking wheel cylinder. And if necessary replacing the master cylinder and air pack. So decision time he told me I could have the winch off another truck if I helped him. I guess it’s more involved then putting one on the 900 series which I had done before. I might ask him how much he would sell me the truck with winch on because it has a bad engine I guess. Then I can have a running truck and a parts truck. Thanks again for the help I’ll call him tomorrow.
Guessing that the 800 series are mechanical winches - with a driveshaft?
Rather than hydraulic like the 900 series...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks