• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realized it was MIA, remembered I left it on front bumper playing music, found it face down in the dirt with two large tire tracks over it still playing music 😃

Looked in my box of phone junk and realized I already had a new screen for it, pulled out my pocket knife and a small Phillips had it new again in 20 min .

I've had this phone for 5 years, I can break it down in the dark like a 1911 🇺🇸

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realized it was MIA, remembered I left it on front bumper playing music, found it face down in the dirt with two large tire tracks over it still playing music 😃

Looked in my box of phone junk and realized I already had a new screen for it, pulled out my pocket knife and a small Phillips had it new again in 20 min .

I've had this phone for 5 years, I can break it down in the dark like a 1911 🇺🇸
Waterproof Bluetooth speakers are like $30 ....

or... $22... AND a 40% off coupon..

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used an Engine hoist to hang the tailgate...twice!, yah I put it on backwards the first try, still worked though. Used 5/8 X 4.5 inch Hitch Pins from the hardware store. Still have to do some work to the tailgate itself and the drivers side bed mount which is buggered like a pretzel. My welding skills leave much to be desired, vaporized some the new sheet metal before I figured out the arc welder settings...there were only two.
Any suggestions on beginner friendly, inexpensive, 110V Mig, Tig, Arc welder combinations?TG1.jpgTG2.jpgTG3.jpgTG4.jpgTG5.jpgTG6.jpgTG7.jpg

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used an Engine hoist to hang the tailgate...twice!, yah I put it on backwards the first try, still worked though. Used 5/8 X 4.5 inch Hitch Pins from the hardware store. Still have to do some work to the tailgate itself and the drivers side bed mount which is buggered like a pretzel. My welding skills leave much to be desired, vaporized some the new sheet metal before I figured out the arc welder settings...there were only two.
Any suggestions on beginner friendly, inexpensive, 110V Mig, Tig, Arc welder combinations?View attachment 904412View attachment 904413View attachment 904414View attachment 904415View attachment 904416View attachment 904417View attachment 904418
I bought this one, err rather the previous model of that.. Does some basic stuff.

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did I do to my 5-ton? Well, i was very mean to a couple of them.. Disturbed one of the M818's from it's 10-month nap to grab a smaller dozer, and woke one of the dumps from its 2-year nap.. Made them help build 1000ft of road without a complaint, except from some hitch-hiking bees... I was not as mean to the M62, it had only been sleeping a couple weeks when I needed its weight to pack material around the 3ft culvert and "roll" the base .. Oh, and yes, there's a throaty old R6602 rumbling away in there somewhere, you have six guesses where ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can’t seem to find any info on TMS about towing a vehicle with another one maybe I’m in the wrong forum. But I did get a price for both M818 which is reasonable. But the shipping was not so. I have a military tow bar that I could flat tow them. But not sure about brakes and lights on the non running M818 it would be around 250 miles. Do you rely on the the pulling truck to stop and use a chase car for lights. Any info would be great or point me to the right TM thank you
Just started reading the 5ton section, i'm sure you've got your trucks by now, but just for reference. I've towed standard shift trucks, 800sr and below for trips over 500 miles with everything in Neutral. Never any issues. Usually just had a close tail vehicle. There are towing lights available and you can make air brake feed lines, and have a good towbar, but we just used the trail vehicles. Use like or larger vehicles and as always watch out for the other guy!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks