• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSgt.Kuchta

Volt Charging Meter Resistor Repair

UPDATE: This repair technique isn't reliable.
Yes I did get to to work, but the repair is not robust.

Now to find a replacement resistor!

Steve

In the course of going through all of my M1009's wiring I found the 330 Ohm resistor across the back of the volt meter was open.

After taking a closer look I found the surface plating that would normally be under the post washer/nuts had worn off due to age.
I decided to carefully scrape away the pink surface masking of the resistor to reveal more of the original surface plating.

I checked those areas with the Ohm meter and "bingo", 330 Ohms.

Using a soldering iron I tinned the exposed areas and soldered in place two (2) small strips of solder wick.

Once I installed everything it looks to be a sound repair.

I will re-post if and when this repair fails.

Attachments

Last edited:

hedelta

truck would not start so I did the doghead mod as well as replace the other 2 two relays since I had the plate down in view. I also replaced the fuel filter and filled the tires with air now headed to go and get a front end alignment.

rodymartin

I'll tell you what a wise friend told me right before I started a father/son auto project - "The end goal is bonding with your son, not fixing the car." 2cents
WELL we have the starter back in. But the front battery is dead (3.5 volts).

About my son he is 30 years old and working as a sports car mechanic. Me I worked as a mechanic for 50 years on heavy equipment and in truck design for KW and Peterbilt in the test facility in Burlingto, WA.

rjinga

About my son he is 30 years old and working as a sports car mechanic. Me I worked as a mechanic for 50 years on heavy equipment and in truck design for KW and Peterbilt in the test facility in Burlingto, WA.
Well I guess this was sort of a busman's holiday for you then. :-D

The son in question in my story is 16, he's even less mechanically inclined that I am, and we were working on his first car. It went well though; we bonded and fixed the car. 8)

TSgt.Kuchta

Son and I

My son and I have been spending time together working on our new 1985 M1009 (39,000 miles on the odometer). This vehicle is from Souther Arizona and came to me with an extra 50 lbs. of very fine dust!
Anyway, in the course of installing all new switches in the steering column (kind of a PITA) we also decided to clean every connector in the IP harness.

All new relays, fuses, buzzers and bulbs throughout.

We have everything ready for the "Doghead Starter Relay Mod." as well as a new starter ready for installation.

In progress, "Before" and "After" photos.

Attachments

jdeoliveira74

busy day will post pics later about to start gutting my civi k5 pulling rear door and power window. both doors and the hood from the civi and also seat brackets as my passenger seat is broken. Installing console out of civi. will be building a box of sorts to raise it a bit so it can be used as a arm rest. gonna be a long day. Tomorrow engine mounts and exhaust manifold gasket so noisy. Also ram air.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
couple new pics for update, got the new tires on and wheels, now running 39x13.50x17r BF-Goodrich Baja KR tires on 17 Inch caddy esclaide wheels. still need a new rear window, crank and gaskets though.

NOW THATS A BLAZER, good job. you have something to be proud of.

Nice mods yall i love seeing all of the Cucvs M1008 M1009s well i have been working on my Airforce M1008 about month ago it developed a coolant leak around the intake and thermsostat housing gasket the 2 small ones that bolt the housing directly to the intake Talk about a pain near about had to dismantle the whole front part of the motor to get the housing off lol its all good new thermsostat new gaskets hoses cleaned out the radiator new coolant its hopefully good to go :)

rjinga

Ok all you purist, I know it's not regulation, but I think it's a good example of making use of the available resourses. Adapting and overcoming: Pic #1 - Wire shelf from kitchen section at Wal-mart, zip ties from Big Lots; Pic #2 - it can hold a Sterilite dust-proof storage container (held in with a Big Lots bungee cord): Pic #3 - or my cooler; Pic #4 - container above and 3", 30' recovery strap below; Pic #5 - the wire shelf did come in a two-pack, hmmmm.

Attachments

jholler

Swapped out previously mentioned CDR valve and bypassed my heater core so it'll quit leaking in the floorboard. Yes, I'll fix it...but the heat index is 108-114, don't think I'll need the heater anytime soon! Also installed an armrest pad on the ammo can I'm using for a console, woodland fabric with a red Engineer castle the wife embroidered for me.:)

AllenEM

Swapped out previously mentioned CDR valve and bypassed my heater core so it'll quit leaking in the floorboard. Yes, I'll fix it...but the heat index is 108-114, don't think I'll need the heater anytime soon! Also installed an armrest pad on the ammo can I'm using for a console, woodland fabric with a red Engineer castle the wife embroidered for me.:)
nopics

wrex

Tinted windows. 5% back three, 12% driver and passenger, 5% 4" strip across front windshield.
Added class 2 receiver below current location of Pintel hitch.
I'll add pics, once the weather is nicer (cold and rainy in San Francisco, today :-( ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks