• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne pick

natem, Pricy, You would have spent about the same building a 700r4 the right way, and still worry about having a reliability issue, I did. If I had to do it again i'd go back to the bullit proof th400 and get a Gear vendors unit. Good choice and take lots of pics. BTW, My brother lives up on Beaver island :cookoo:right?

natem

Yes, pricey. Looking at alternatives 1. Change gear ratios 2. 700R4 3. Gear Vendors Overdrive. All about the same price. 1. lose off road ability 2. only one extra gear (OD) 3. split shift all gears, minimum changes to stock drive line.

Oh ya Beaver Island, love that place sooooo laid back :cool:

chuck0070

Picked up a can of Line-X to coat the rear cargo area in my M1009 (which is pictured in my avatar), and a sanding block. I also ordered a new fuel pump which cost 26$ including S&H and should be here in the morning. Im hoping the Line-X will also add some sound barrier. I will try and take pictures as the work progresses. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with me.

I love the antennas on your rig. Where can I find some?

HSFDChief600

Brush Rig

Our fire department had the opportunity to get a 82 CUCV from our state forestry. Great thing about it is we actually get the title instead of it being "on loan". It had the jump seats and cover for the bed. We took that off and made it into a brush unit.
Now back to the topic at hand. We had the old square fuel filter block on it and it started giving issues when starting so we did the spin on filter conversion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/2012-02-07_20-10-05_129.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/2012-02-07_20-10-40_684.jpg

ayla

I arranged mine an APK (dutch MOT) and a new rear windshield for the cab.
This time with sliding windows. To be installed at the 22nd of February (my birthday). For this is the rear sliding window/birthday present.

Groet ron

natemccabe

Fuel filter change, followed the -20 and went as smooth as butter. Although the price on the filter ($31 @ Napa) made me consider a spin on filter mod in the future.

OL AG '89

Finally got around to replacing all shocks. Got the 5000 series rancho's. I also installed 33x12.5x15 pro-comp MT's on all 4 corners.
I now need new springs as the front have a reversed arc, making the rubber rub the front fenders when turning!!!!
so at the risk getting pounded, who has a good recommendation for O.E. springs?

K9Vic

Our fire department had the opportunity to get a 82 CUCV from our state forestry. Great thing about it is we actually get the title instead of it being "on loan". It had the jump seats and cover for the bed. We took that off and made it into a brush unit.
Now back to the topic at hand. We had the old square fuel filter block on it and it started giving issues when starting so we did the spin on filter conversion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/2012-02-07_20-10-05_129.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/Fyrmn/2012-02-07_20-10-40_684.jpg

That is not a 1982 as there are no 1982 model year CUCV trucks, it would be a 1984-1987 with manufacture dates of fall 1983 to early 1987.

wayne pick

natem, I think the Gear Vendors was a good choice, like you said, minimal driveline mods. My 700r4 went bad shortly after i bought my truck and I spent nearly $1800.00 on the heavyest duty rebuild possible just short of a drag strip tranny, thats $1800.00 minus removal and install wich i did to save some $$$. I could not get an off the shelf rebuild as I have the 205 case and need the adapter shaft to mate the two. procuring the parts you will need to make the swap is a PITA and you HAVE to do a HD rebuild on the 700r4 from the start as it will burn up if you leave it stock. I just got mine shifting perfictly after weeks of d***ing around with the TV cable adj- PITA. The big complaint about the Gear Vendors is it's limited to 2wd, so what, your not going to get your truck into OD with the 700 in a snowstorm anyway. Good luck, WP

allenhillview

For myself and the 1008 this week ,rear shocks, TC rear output shaft seal, complete drain and refill of the case, driveshaft balance, new spicer U-joints, A piece of mind just knowing some of that is off the list of to do's.

The shocks were busted both of them, it really tightened up the ride.

twa@ezdn.net

Thanks, I used the drawers from an old file cabnet, and in front there is a compartment as wide as the unit with a flush door on top with everything I need to replace all fluids belts etc..

jaymcb

My 1009 got shiny new legal license plates from the DMV in MA yesterday.

Now I need a horn, marker light bulbs, and a pass side mirror to get road-legal.

Then I need u-joints and probably a TC bushing and seal to get road-WORTHY.

anyone have tips or experience on changing that seal and bushing?

twlinks

Well, she finally got here on Sat. morning. I didn't have any time over the weekend to work on it but I have some time off now, so I spent a few hours with it this morning down at the shop. Stopped by NAPA to pick up a starter relay for the Doghead mod, but they had to order it...tomorrow morning they said. Ordered top and bottom radiator hoses at the same time. Then I spent the morning piddling around, sometimes just sitting in it, bonding...haha. Some would call it a real POS, but I'm seeing beauty in her. I worked on the hood latch that GL said was broken...it wasn't, just "stubborn" and now it works fine...of course, the good news was that there really is a motor in it since GL couldn't get the hood open for pics. ;)

Tailgate creaked and groaned and scraped but finally came open...the crank and the window actually worked. A little graphite and the release now works fine and she opens and closes pretty smooth.

The starter relay was already loose and laying on the floor, no idea why, but I'm changing it anyway. Batteries are charging now. Fuel filter shows a July 10 on it, so I'm figuring the last time it was serviced was July, 2010 and I imagine it's been sitting since then. Oil is full and clean, but I'll change it anyway.

I cleaned most of the crud out of the inside, front to back...enough sand in there to build a green side bunker in my backyard, but it was only in the back, behind the back seat and it was really, really fine sand.

Also, I'm reasonably certain that the 7,843 miles it was listed as by GL is 107,843, but I'm ok with that and figured that's what it was going to be anyway. Took care of ordering the SF97 from GL this afternoon and corrected their errors on the VIN#.

Here's a couple of pictures of it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks