• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bought a brushguard for it since it was missing.
Picked up a bunch of nuts and bolts to install it and the shackle.
Topped off the T-case, it was a 1.5qt low! aua
Installed volt/temp/oil pressure gauge.
Picked up the rest of the parts for the lift.
Replaced the damaged bolts in the front leaf spring packs of the lift.

ryan77

Started changing the motor mounts on the m1008 they were bad, the fan was hitting the shroud, replaced all the glow plugs and gutted the interior.

Can one replace motor mounts with engine in truck, difficult level?

yes... loosen both sides... and than using a floor jack/bottlejack and a block of wood, jack up on side to relieve tension, remove bolt... jack further up and remove/replace mount. lower motor down and reinstall bolt.. ( leave loose...) repeat other side... once complete reomve jack and tighten both sides.. and your all set...

ryan77

It wasnt to bad changing the mounts took about 3 hours! Raised the engine a good inch old mounts were trashed!

I just finished TC/TRANS mount , do I need to loosen it any for the engine mount install? I don,t want to rip away at that area? Thank you both for your replies.
it probably wouldnt hurt to loosen trans/TC mount, but i would feel safer if you leave the bolt loose during that process, while your lifting motor. as you dont want anything to shift/roll or fall while your underneath. that would make for a bad day.

Abbylind

Tore the dash apart. Cant glue on the new dash pad until it warms up a bit more here. Removed the instrument panel and cleaned all the dirt out. Sprayed the instrument cluster plastic silver for better reflective light on the gauges. Checked all bulbs. Repaired (what I could) the instrument panel fascia. Mines broken up pretty good on the edges where the screws attach. Installed Tiny Tach. Works great! I wish they would include a longer power cable.That 18" cable is a little short! aua

Abbylind

Forgot to add, I rebuilt the transmission shifter indicator. Fabricated the indicator needle out of some stretched plastic then painted it with some of my wifes nail polish..! Now I can see when Im in drive! :lol:

Clearboy

Went to get out of M1009 and door wouldn't open, from inside or out. Took off door panel from inside fought with latch until open. I then tightened everything up in the latch (with a hammer) and reassembled. Now I can get out of my rig.
Cheers, Clearboy

K9Vic

On a M1031 I just bought doing my normal 37 point inspection I had to fix:

* Electric fuel pump & block off old mechanical with the V8-350 super shinny chrome block off plate. I have yet to find a non-chrome one locally. You can not see it anyways and over time it will just get oily black, LOL!!
* Bypass the 24v-12v resistor block for the GP as something I always go on these trucks.
* Reconnect the PTO shaft throttle lever that was just hanging disconnected. Took me awhile to find the right bolt. I am just glad the shaft was still there.
* Made sure the IP was lined up and it was, inspected the fuel lines for any leaks, all was good.
* Cleaned the engine bay, it was really dirty. Next step is to paint the brackets & other parts black again that have faded.
* Swapped two front tires that would not pass inspection, but not yet at the steel belts with some good used ones (Got it this way).
* Tried to figure out the generator, only got as far as getting the PTO to spin the gen, but never got any power output. The PTO indicator light switch at the shift lever inside the engine bay is one PITA to figure out. I am just thinking of adding a switch as I could not get it work work right shifting from 1-2-D.

So now have to figure out why the generator is not putting out any power, so if anyone in the Fort Worth area knows about the M1031 trucks send me a PM if you can help.

Matt1031

* Tried to figure out the generator, only got as far as getting the PTO to spin the gen, but never got any power output. The PTO indicator light switch at the shift lever inside the engine bay is one PITA to figure out. I am just thinking of adding a switch as I could not get it work work right shifting from 1-2-D.

So now have to figure out why the generator is not putting out any power, so if anyone in the Fort Worth area knows about the M1031 trucks send me a PM if you can help.
In the transmission tunnel next to the 4wd shift lever is a microswitch that prevents the governer from spooling up the gen unless it senses the T-case is in neutral. The arm that controls that switch tends to get bent up and not function properly (when you find it, you'll see it's a really fragile setup). Nine times out of ten when mine won't spool up it's because that stupid switch arm with the roller got hung up in the linkage again- one day I'm going to bypass the stupid thing entirely, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyways... check that little switch and see it it's working correctly.

Draco-87

Got the green bugger back from the shop. Had them put on a pro-comp 4" lift with 52" springs in back and longer brake lines. seem to ride a little stiffer than stock but not to bad! and yes i will post pics in the morning! [thumbzup]

Cucvnut

I took my lift pump off. I tool it off Via the top of the motor by taking off the generator. much faster than going via bottom of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks