• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenhillview

Engine Mounts

Finished engine mounts today job went well, but to add to that, everything I bought was junk!, tried three places here and all had what was online including DEA, ANCHOR, DURALAST, NAPA brand, all the same gauge metal surrounding the rubber insert.

So here is what I did, bought napa brand (you can tell right-off they came from over----?) took it apart removed its insert(2292 by the way is right #, not 2395) put that rubber in my metal OEM (twice as thick on metal gauge) bracket, tacked welded with Brazing Rod , fit like a glove, cleaned, painted, looks great.

The jack under engine worked well for me but move slow as to not get things out of alignment , loosen both sides but don't completely remove all bolts leave one in bracket, leave main mount bolt (all with just a couple of turns on nut) I used a bottle jack and not oil pan bottom as a position for jack but used a 5/8" solid rod with a foot on it

the same as foot print on bolt pattern of oil pan about two inches, covering one pan bolt to spread out force, to me that was more lift in a short stroke, better angle if you will. Did not loosen TC mounts. 5 HOURS- including cleaning my mess, putting up tools. Cost- $20.82

iluvbudwsr

I decided to post in this section to make it short and sweet. Anyways, long story short, ever since the purchase of my M1009 ive had issues with the fuel delivery system and trouble shot everything I knew so the next thing on the list was to change the fuel pump. No big deal right? Especially at 26 dollars for a new fuel pump and an hour or two of my time. well once I got under there to take the old fuel pump off the push rod was cracked and fell out when I pulled the old pump off. Talk about an AWwww S^%T moment. Tracking down a new push rod was a job in itself and of all places the local GM dealer was able to order one from old stock 2,000 miles away. after lots of cussing I got the new push rod in and installed the new fuel pump and she now runs like a sewing machine! Mission accomplished. :-D

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to post in this section to make it short and sweet. Anyways, long story short, ever since the purchase of my M1009 ive had issues with the fuel delivery system and trouble shot everything I knew so the next thing on the list was to change the fuel pump. No big deal right? Especially at 26 dollars for a new fuel pump and an hour or two of my time. well once I got under there to take the old fuel pump off the push rod was cracked and fell out when I pulled the old pump off. Talk about an AWwww S^%T moment. Tracking down a new push rod was a job in itself and of all places the local GM dealer was able to order one from old stock 2,000 miles away. after lots of cussing I got the new push rod in and installed the new fuel pump and she now runs like a sewing machine! Mission accomplished. :-D
Ahh the sweet smell of success! Congratulations! [thumbzup] I recently completed the same project. I had no problems with the shaft...that is after I removed the plate and applied the required grease to keep the darn thing up inside the engine!. Did you do the filter mod? I had to because the original box filter, was giving me fits! Anyway, the filter I found to replace it with was custom manufactored to replace the box filter (found in a lucky junk yard trip). You don't get the heater or the water in fuel protection, but in Wyoming my Duramax has been running for 9 years and I've never had water in my fuel. See attached pictures, hope they may help someone! Anyway, the primary and secondary system fit on the big steel plate. It won't fit on th M1009 with the buss bar in the way so the secondary went away for now. It's a RACOR system and from what little I can find on them (haven't looked hard) they are a pretty good system. I won't be using the secondary filter water seperator unless there's problems down the road.

Attachments

AceHigh

I had a similar problem and spent less than $5 on a block-off plate for the pump opening, then added an electric pump on the frame. :driver:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought a M1009 two days ago and have put about 60-70 miles on it so far. Why did I not buy one earlier? They are great!
Welcome to the wonderful world of the CUCV. They can be great fun and can also drive you nuts. Change everything made of rubber, check for a front drive shaft and that's just the beginning. Won't tell you about the fuel fun yet...unless you get it. Then there's a lot of help on getting those particulars fixed.

Welcome, please post pics![thumbzup]

Draco-87

Well i,m going to start taking a sm465/205 combo out of a donner 76 blazer and do a transplant in the mil. blazer. Nothing wrong with the auto trany but after taking it up into the mountians the 465 will do better than the auto. as soon as the auto is out i,m going to sell it if anyone is interested.only has 27,000 miles on it.:driver:

my86m1009

Welcome to the wonderful world of the CUCV. They can be great fun and can also drive you nuts. Change everything made of rubber, check for a front drive shaft and that's just the beginning. Won't tell you about the fuel fun yet...unless you get it. Then there's a lot of help on getting those particulars fixed.

Welcome, please post pics![thumbzup]
I bought it from Ryan77 on here. He redid everything on it, i couldn't pass it up, he really knows the trucks, anyways he did the starter relay mod, manual glow plug switch, rhinolined floor, power tailgate window, glowplugs, belts, fluids, brakes, new paint just to name a few things, i have put about 70 miles on it without a problem. Starts everymorning without a problem. There is one problem though..... I don't have enough money to add all the things like antennas, winch, spot lights :-|. I will make an album in a little of it!
Again Thank you Ryan for getting my into CUCV's

DanzboysM1009

I had another post where I stated my truck lost all power the other day when I went to start it. I determined that it was a loose battery connection on the rear battery. When I went to change the clamp out I discovered that because of the loose connection, there apparently was some arcing which ultimately started to melt the clamp, nice huh? Thank god it reared it's head before it started a fire. Got everything changed out and hooked back up, thing starts like a champ. Wonder if that's why it was sometimes hard to start? Go figure and she keeps on going...

LCDR Dan

got a couple lock boxes for the cucv and painted hem up in trunk paint then olive drab. plan on mounting them and doing the vac lines ater today. been on duty and need a nap after 30 hours, lol

OL AG '89

So after posting about replacing all shocks and realizing I needed front springs to remove tire rub issue, I replaced the front springs. SWEET and relatively easy in the driveway, with no help, oher than the dogs looking at me through he fence!!!
Now she rides with the nose in the air, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now I need to replace the rear springs.
ps. springs from JohnRSprings..... shipped out and to my door in less than a week... next paycheck, next order!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks