• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liv2Dive2

Well, today I dug into the M1009, replaced both heater core lines, put in a new Glow plug controller from CUCV electric, replaced all the glow plugs, changed the oil, and topped off the coolant. Starts up and runs like a champ now, before the wait light wouldn't go out and it took quite a while for it to catch.
Next will be the Doghead starter relay, and repairing the tailgate mechanism.

$50 dollars and 5 hours today Cleaning my M1008 after having shall i say a wild weekend in the mud Carolina Mud Stinks and it stains the hood had mud the Whole engine was covered the firewall was covered after this clean up and cleaning the interior I will also rember for future refrence before going into said mud hole make sure said Drivers side window is up mud all over me and the guage cluster in the floor boards all over my inside back glass all down the D|s seat belt all over my seat I swear im going to start being more productive with improving my m1008 instead of going backwards ;]:beer:I cant stress this enough NO ADULT BEVERAGES SHOULD BE CONSUMED while playing in the mud Just my service anouncement for the day

Last edited:

True Knight

Drove it do the desert and went shooting. It does not like the Cajon pass. This thing is tough though! I was flying down a dirt road at about 65mph and saw the ditch to late to slow down enough. Entered the ditch at about 45-50 and caught some air on the other side. Ha ha. Nothing broken or damaged. You can see the point of landing in the pic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338881987.714367.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1338882007.007439.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove it do the desert and went shooting. It does not like the Cajon pass. This thing is tough though! I was flying down a dirt road at about 65mph and saw the ditch to late to slow down enough. Entered the ditch at about 45-50 and caught some air on the other side. Ha ha. Nothing broken or damaged. You can see the point of landing in the pic. View attachment 336157View attachment 336158
Dang, good landing! Too bad we didn't get a video so we could rate it. Just from the picture of the tracks, I'd say at least a 7.5!:beer:

True Knight

Dang, good landing! Too bad we didn't get a video so we could rate it. Just from the picture of the tracks, I'd say at least a 7.5!:beer:
I actually had video rolling at the time! But all you can see is the camera go flying. Ha ha.

And I'll be getting a turbo to help with the Cajon and other hills like it.

baddy3

I removed and cleaned the injectors. Used a small ultrasonic cleaner, engine degreaser and isopropyl alcohol. I'm delighted with the result, the truck runs much quieter and has noticeably more power. I'll never run it on WMO again. You can see before and after pictures. Also replaced rotting return lines with no clamp- type rubber hoses

Attachments

llong66

baddy3, where did you get your ultrasonic cleaner? What % of WMO were you running and how long did you run it? How were you filtering it?

baddy3

baddy3, where did you get your ultrasonic cleaner? What % of WMO were you running and how long did you run it? How were you filtering it?
I don't know where the wife got the ultrasonic cleaner, she uses it to clean the jewelry (hope she does not find out I'd used it :p)...there are some on ebay from $20 upward.... Mixed WMO with red diesel/heating oil approximately 50%/50%, filtered through an old fuel filter. I run the mixture in the truck for 8-9 months with pause over the winter months and made in total around 10k miles on WMO.

iacucv

Glad to say I can finally post here! Bought my 87 1008 the 23rd and have been busy with work etc. Am halfway done with adding some radio, replaced all belts, bled the fuel system, and just picked up the solenoid for the Doghead mod which will be done tomorrow. After that, rock guard the rockers/wheel wells cuz the gravel is tearing it up, fix the rattle from one of the skid plates, remove some leaves from the rear springs to smoothen out the ride. Eventually - hopefully scrap together a turbo system from 6.5l parts, and figure out an overdrive trans. Many thanks to all of you on here that have learned the hard way and passed it on to guys like me. Love this old iron!

jvrotter

After having rebuilt my pass. side alternator 6 months ago, it suddenly stopped working again. So again I had to pull it out, take it down to the shop and have it rebuilt. Only good thing about this is I'm getting real good at testing and changing out my alternators.

baddy3

Why not? Are you saying the condition of the injectors was a result of running it on WMO? What did the injectors look like before running on WMO?
Yup, I'd had to remove a couple of injectors to extract swollen GPs and then the injectors looked OK. That was before I started running the truck on WMO mixture. Couple of months into using WMO the truck substantially lost the power, but having had problems with the clogging of IP return valve, I [FONT=&quot]attributed [/FONT] that to the failing IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks