• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSF01

So yesterday I was driving to work and my throttle broke. Since my truck is my daily driver I needed to get it fixed ASAP. Because no auto stores carried the part in stock around here I came up with a simple solution that allowed me to drive the truck. Firs I cut away the insulation to expose the cable. Than using an electrical wire connecter (not sure what it’s called, but you insert a wire into both ends and tighten the screws to secure them. The come in a connected strip of about 10 and you can cut off as many as you need for the amount of wires you have) I cut off two connectors leaving them attached to each other and inserted each end of the broken cable fully through one of the connectors so I could clamp down with two screws to be more secure. Because of where the cable had broken I could no longer use the section of the throttle cable that held the end in place which caused to much slack in the line. So using a bit of duct tape I pulled the cable taunt.

The fix allowed me to get to work and back until the new cable came in today which I promptly installed.

Attachments

went out and bought a used co2 tank from craigs list and swapped it for a full one at airgas, also got two sheets of 18g steel to patch some holes in the 09's floor. Need to get her water proof for the bedliner and the winter.

jhyatt7

Oops!!!!

Run out of fuel today........ Yep my gas gauge is completely jacked up. Fortunately 5 gallons of diesel brought the "Hound" back to life.:x:whistle:rofl

CycleJay

Jhyatt,

Do you not keep track of the miles when you fill up, since your fuel gauge is malfunctioning?
Mine is too, so I keep track of the numbers... And so far that works out pretty good.

Good luck...

CycleJay

By the way,

All I have done to mine is drive it back and forth to work, errands, etc.
Without any issues, it starts, runs, and drives great.
Unless it has been raining or really cold, then sometimes starting takes a
little longer.

But I am still knocking some issues off the to do list,
as I have the time and money to do them, or get them done.

Keith_J

I got the last piece of steel fit on the electric drive air conditioning compressor-motor mount. I'm within 7 thousandths with the adjustments locked in the middle range so once welded, it will be easy to adjust to within the coupler's 15 thousandths axial tolerance and 1 degree of angular (standard Lovejoy coupling limits).

I'm still on the fence about coating the steel, either powder coat or a quick Rustoleum primer and mat black. The unit will be wrapped in sheet metal for safety with ducts for cooling.

wilsonmotors

Sweet ride. What are the specs?
Well it has a d60 I scored for almost free at the junkyard and a Skyjacker 8in lift with Ord fush kit. I got a np205 that I rebuilt with a twinstick 1410 yokes all the way around. A 14 bolt ff from a 90 burb and the leaf springs from a 90 one ton burb. Ord shackle flip and diy 5 in hd shackle and a 31gal tank. Waiting on arb air locks front and rear with 4.56 gears. The tires are Goodyear mtr with Kevlar 17x37. I just picked up a sm465 with a np205 and a nv4500 with a 205 can't decide witch to use when I put the 4bt Cummins in it. Still trying to figure out which way to go with it.

jhyatt7

@ CycleJay,
my speedo/odometer isnt working either and I guess I slightly miscalculated my trips. Normal Im pretty good about tracking miles, but one trip into town can make or break you.

twlinks

Filled little dings and dents with Bondo. Finished fabbing and mounting trailer bows in back to mount camo netting. Took it our for a little drive. It's really butt ugly right now with the sanding, spot prime and more yet to do on it, but it was still fun to have out for a while. :)

Draco-87

Bought a engine oil cooler from Derale performance, got tired of the OEM oil cooler lines leaking and trying to find the right parts that are not made china! had a hard time looking for the right place to mount it. But i need to wire up the thermostat and it should be good to go!

Attachments

chevyCUCV

Finished my Fuel pump and filter upgrade. Went with electric Walrbo frb5. Installed a spin on pre filter that the pump draws through. Then installed a spin on in place of the box unit. They are both running baldwins now, but i have a coarser one on order that i will do as the pre filter.
Sturggled to prime the pump at first, my lines were empty to the tank so i just put some air pressure into the tank to get it going. Then i had to bleed the ip+injectors. Got it running, but it was rough with air bubbles, traced to loose water drain bolts, who knew they came loose from the factory?

Pump is still kinda noisy, but its a clicking noise which others have mentioned.
Still want to increase the fuel inlet on the ip to take a 3/8 diameter line instead of the 1/4.

Doesnt drive any different than it did when it ran good before. Rides nice with a 1000 lbs cast iron in the bed.:D

twlinks

Sanded on it more today. Started trying to get the brush guard bolts off......what a PITA...having to sawsall most of them and they aren't exactly easy to get to.

stationjj

UPS showed up early today around 11am for ground delivery.

I installed the windows channel seals on both sides. LMC kit.

Re-install passenger door panel after re staining with SEM. Took off driver side door panel for restoration.

Looking at doing a new steering stabilizer. Are they easy to install?

stationjj

Attachments

cpf240

Looking at doing a new steering stabilizer. Are they easy to install?

stationjj
Should be... like anything else on these trucks, soak the bolts in penetrating oil for a few days. The only problem I had was with the tapered bolt on one end required heat to get it out. I put in one from the Rancho 5000 line, but many here seem to prefer the Monroe stabilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.