• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the winch inside my bumper, fits good. I forgot to cut an access hole to the drum, so everything needs to come out again. While its all off, i will paint her up with some good paint. removed the rear end and got a few steps further in installing the 08 bumper on my 09

installed a new set of seat belts today, from the hmmwv 3 point retrofit kit. Got them off ebay for 17 bucks plus shipping. Very slick looking and very smooth functioning. My buddy bought a set that looks identical but felt cheaper from LMC for 100 bucks per side! I looked at these and they are US contract for the HMWV and made either here or in europe, very nice. His are made in China. Get some America

cpf240

installed a new set of seat belts today, from the hmmwv 3 point retrofit kit. Got them off ebay for 17 bucks plus shipping. Very slick looking and very smooth functioning. My buddy bought a set that looks identical but felt cheaper from LMC for 100 bucks per side! I looked at these and they are US contract for the HMWV and made either here or in europe, very nice. His are made in China. Get some America
nopics

Please? :)

Jerchambers

Radio Rack

Installed the rear radio shelf this weekend... Sanded it, then used rust stripper and conditioner and then painted it. I am planning on making some sort of padded cover for it so the kiddos don't bash themselves up with it. I will post some pics when all is done.

tankie88

Replaced the whole rear load bay floor and tail pan.Anyone know which hump the rear or the spare wheel carrier bolts to???? 2nd or 3rd hump or is it in one of the valleys.Can't see from my old floor as it's all rusted away.

HighPlainsPrepper

Pictures or it didn't happen.

I could use some seat belts also, please provide some more information and/or pictures. Thanks.

K9Vic

Added an old Federal Signal Visibar on my M1031 over the cab. Light works great and have red/blue and amber domes for it. I could give it a MP look or standard amber for convoys and maintenance duty. I do need to do something about the chrome, but I do not want to paint it as it would hurt the value of the lightbar. So I am thinking about putting some gray or black vinyl over the chrome to make it look less shinny.

Video:
Federal Signal Visibar on my M1031 CUCV - YouTube

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OYIgdCkpkw-A&feature=youtu.be[/media][/QUOTE]

Attachments

Last edited:

LGHTGUY

I just bought my m1009 on Friday, I'll get some pictures soon. I'll be restoring it over the next few months. I've been browsing around here for a little while now, some great information out there and some great people. Looking forward to contributing.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I actually started mine yesterday. First time I've even done that in a few weeks. Maybe I'll drive it soon. Or not with $4 a gallon diesel. :x

tequilaiam

You realize you have committed a floggable offense, don't you?

nopics

Ya ya..... By the time I finished it was getting dark and then I started in on the rust in the rear pan and body supports. Figure I'd do that before a final touch-up of the paintjob since I'd end up scratching the tailgate taking it on and off.

I'll get a pic when I'm done getting the gate back on and touched up.

tequilaiam

This weekend I cut the last few inches of floorpan out while intending to follow the article on CK5. Then decided I'd just go all the way and cut out the body support and all crossmembers in the rear tail area. Replacing with what's essentially a 2x6 piece of tube steel.

I used a piece of 2x2 the width of the vehicle as the outer edge and was going to use small lengths of 2x4 steel to support the hinge. But then I realized that the 6" total width would also allow me to hit the body mount bolts, so I cut out the rest of the factory cross pieces and took my various lengths of 2x4 and welded them to the back of the 2x2 piece the full length of the vehicle.

Not ideal in retrospect but I'm not sure a 2x6 single piece could have slid in place without removing the tank anyway. The way I did it, it allowed me clearance to get the 2x2 in by cocking it sideways and sliding the 2x4 infront of it one slice at a time. The 2x6 total piece now reaches far enough forward and is wide enough to rest on the frame at factory body support and wide enough to support the steel flanges that tie the rear quarter and rear pillar sections together. Those were rotted out as well so I'm glad I had purchased enough extra metal.

I'll grab some pics when I drill the new holes for the body bolts and finish fastening down the gate hinge to the new steel.

In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out the best way to prevent rust in the tube sections. Instead of monkeying around with some weird setup to spray primer into the tube I'm thinking about drilling a small hole in the top to inject pre-mixed A/B foam with a turkey baster or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.