• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette1974

Changed the balancer with cscmc1's tool! It worked flawlessly (thanks again, itll be up soon). Wow did the 36,000 mile balancer needed to be changed. The rubber was completely shot, wavy on the front and torn on the back. It runs so much more smoothly now, especially at RPM's.

I used the NAPA Dorman one, and the Napa seal, both worked great.

Will

Keith_J

Ok, here are the pictures from my compressor remount job.

First, you see how it is mounted. Simple 1" square tube spanning the width. The 3/8" bolt mounting bolts run through 1/2" OD 16 gauge tube which has an ID just over 3/8". This keeps the tubing from crimping.

The right side ends are tapered, this does not compromise strength as the bending moment is nil, only shear dominates and both top and bottoms of the 1' square tube are here, just the sides are pared away. All welded.

The left side. This is a 12 inch section of 1-1/2" square tube, 16 gauge. Again, bolt collars are used, and again, welded to the tube fully. The bolts are 5/16" diameter Grade 8.

No holes drilled in the SECM body. Match drilled.

Underside from left. Yes, C-clamps are securing the compressor, bolts are running through and freely, only dingleberry bought 1-1/2" bolts instead of 2", so the clamps are holding it together.

All wiring is connected and working. I installed a pull through right angle for the 3/4" EMT conduit at the bottom of the panel as it was too short. Should have gotten a 2" nipple instead of a close. Oh well. All is safe, just not to code, YET.

Yes, all the electrical and plumbing fit, the copper pressure line had to be reformed.

Now, tossing that beast up there? Major work. It is 80= pounds of iron and copper.

The bottom of the fan shroud is painted Rustoleum primer because a mouse nested in it, causing corrosion.

Attachments

Last edited:

amilowmechanical

:doghead:Looking for answers to 2 question s. first, are the 350 poor motors ? from what i've been told they like to cook. and if so how do I prevent early failare of motor. question 2, if possable how hard is it to install a turbo from a 6.5 onto my 6.2 ? Thanks Great Site !!

amilowmechanical

:doghead:Looking for answers to 2 question s. first, are the 350 poor motors ? from what i've been told they like to cook. and if so how do I prevent early failare of motor. question 2, if possable how hard is it to install a turbo from a 6.5 onto my 6.2 ? Thanks Great Site !!

Keith_J

6.2s are DETROIT DIESEL designs. Cook? Only if you try to hit the governor limit. The cooling system is more than adequate.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I had to replace the drivers side alternator belt on my M1009.
It broke this morning while I was parking when I got to work.
After work, I replaced it right there in the parking lot, then went home.

That is all.

Danger Ranger

thanks for the help ! I was told that the 350 were junk today :oops:
Ummm, I am not sure who you are, or what you do for a living, nor how you grew up, but if you don't know what a Chevy or GM 350 engine is, you got problems. You are on a vehicle forum, with mechanical in your username, and you don't know?

That's all. Now I am at a loss for words.

MarcusOReallyus

:doghead:Looking for answers to 2 question s. first, are the 350 poor motors ? from what i've been told they like to cook. and if so how do I prevent early failare of motor.
Well, in the first place, this is a thread about what you did to your CUCV. If you have questions, start your own thread, don't just jump into an existing thread. That's called thread hijacking, and it's not appreciated.

Now to your first question:

:confused:

The 350 is a great motor. Always has been.

But why are you asking about a 350 on this site? What's a 350 got to do with CUCVs? They use a 6.2 Detroit Diesel. Nothing like a 350.

Last edited:

amilowmechanical

Sorry if I sound confused. as far as the 350 yes i would only buy a chev with a 350 and I know it is tough and will run foreever if there are regular oil changes. as far as the Detroit Diesel, I only now am learning about them. Never have owned a diesel before. :arrow: and sorry about the Hijacking of the What have you done to your cucv today

Keith_J

Ok, getting this thread back in order...after moving the compressor in my 1031 SECM last night, I didn't have time to test it. Well, this morning I fired it up. Runs like normal except the unloader valve is leaking during compressor operation, before it leaked after the compressor stopped so I have to take it apart and see what is wrong.

The rails I used have a bit of flex, probably because it isn't properly bolted down. The flex is less than 1/8" mid span so it is not a fatigue issue. Think of it as a leaf spring, just needs a shock absorber.

Simple beam calculations show stress of 14,000 PSI at a 300 pound load with 1/4" deflection. It is about 90 pounds so I am golden.:doghead:

converted the glow plug relay to 12 volts off the resistor, oiled the winch cable lightly, cleaned out the truck and got a new turn signal flasher relay from auto zone.

also won a m101a3 from govliq and got a great price, had the soft top and all supports. Just waiting on the euc now.

timo247

Took off the tires today to check the brakes and found that the rear breaks need an overhaul. Got a new Harmonic damper/balancer put in. pretty good day for me! learned how to use an impact wrench today which was pretty fun.:)

Keith_J

Yes, the impact wrench SAVED the evening. I could NOT believe how tight the crank pulley bolts were.

Now you know how to replace the belts. And how it cannot be done without a 15mm socket AND extension. Get a good 3.8' set for the truck, it will get those power steering bracket bolts easier. Also a set of combination box-open end wrenches.

For the Operator Vehicle Maintenance tools, you need a jack, cross wrench and your tool box.

As far as the brakes, the rears are OK for 20k. It is the master cylinder that isn't developing pressure. Rebuild kits are about $8. Best bet is bench test the existing one.

Rockauto has all you need. Bosch Duratherm glow plugs are good to go, part number 80034. $7.22 each, you need 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.