• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne pick

Did your 700r4 convertion still use the 208 case? If so, isn't it supposed to be ATF in there as it is a chain type T-Case? I understand that the thing was over full, probably from the trans, but did you ever check the level before? I am just wondering, as my 208 in my 1009 has ATF as the lubricant, and it was slightly over the fill plug when I checked it. sorry your trans died, I guess you just needed a reason to upgrade?

Have a good one,
Christopher
Thanks Chris, I have an M1031. All 1031s have the NP205 TC. They use gear oil as they have all gears and no chain. The conversion was done by the PO. The original 32 spline 205 was replaced with a 27 spline 205 from a 79 truck that had a TH350. I suspected the transfer case as the problem becuase it is old. I was wrong. BTW, your 208 is supposed to have ATF as lubricant. Only 205s use gear oil in our trucks.

Skinny

Thanks Chris, I have an M1031. All 1031s have the NP205 TC. They use gear oil as they have all gears and no chain. The conversion was done by the PO. The original 32 spline 205 was replaced with a 27 spline 205 from a 79 truck that had a TH350. I suspected the transfer case as the problem becuase it is old. I was wrong. BTW, your 208 is supposed to have ATF as lubricant. Only 205s use gear oil in our trucks.
Most gear drive tcases I know of use gear lube but the TM specifies Dexron ATF for the NP205. I had to look it up when I drained my case to find red fluid. I honestly think it won't care because it has no synchronizers but be aware that the spec is ATF.

Skinny

A quick googling (if that is a word) shows that the oil mixup is pretty common for an NP205. A short research reveals that it will pretty much take ATF, 75-90 gear lube, or 10-30 motor oil. I don't think any of those will kill it because the NP205 is just a big dumb box full of gears and bearings.

Some transmissions like the T-5 used to take gear lube and then the manufacturer said to replace it with ATF because of better shifting properties. Of course those have syncro compatibility issues unlike an NP205. Run whatever you have...but the TM specs ATF (maybe for the extreme cold compatibility versus noise reduction). Who knows...

chief1983

Cut three truckloads of firewood today. Truck works great with a long logging chain dragging trees out in low lock, and can handle much bigger loads than my 2500HD used to. Plus, I don't have to worry about keeping a pretty truck pretty while getting back to the wood. This is the real reason I got rid of my other truck and built this truck.

Attachments

Matt65

Cut three truckloads of firewood today. Truck works great with a long logging chain dragging trees out in low lock, and can handle much bigger loads than my 2500HD used to. Plus, I don't have to worry about keeping a pretty truck pretty while getting back to the wood. This is the real reason I got rid of my other truck and built this truck.

They do love to move firewood.

Attachments

amilowmechanical

Went to local junkyard and picked up some carpet from a almost new 2500 quad cab. also pulled some almost brand new door seals off of a 2011 trailblazer. and other misc items. removed seat and installed padding and carpet with padding to lessen sound in cab and installed large inverter behind seat . then install new door seals as they fit perfect !!:wreckerman893: amilowmechanical

MarcusOReallyus

:beer: That looks good to me!

dc9137

I've learned a very important lesson today. The lining the military put on the floorboard of my M1009 is very rough and will tear the c$@& out of your knuckles. :-x

K9Vic

I've learned a very important lesson today. The lining the military put on the floorboard of my M1009 is very rough and will tear the c$@& out of your knuckles. :-x
Is that the thin mat that is taped on where your feet are from the seat to the curve of the firewall?

I used a propane torch to just burn it off and that worked well. I had to get that stuff off in order to Line-X the floor.

dc9137

Is that the thin mat that is taped on where your feet are from the seat to the curve of the firewall?

I used a propane torch to just burn it off and that worked well. I had to get that stuff off in order to Line-X the floor.
No. I'm talking about the actual green paint/bed liner stuff they use. It's very bumpy and very rough!

engineman2

Rebuilt the kingpins on my Dana 60. Not as bad as I thought it would be but it was an all day job. Now all the parts are a nice od green and the steering is super tight. :D The drivers side bushing was broken into 4 pieces and the passenger 2. I'm surprised the death wobble wasn't worse. I had taken pictures for you guys but technology got stupid on me. :-x

hodgeb

Drove 1800 miles cross country to get her home. :)

Also, removed some decals and crap so it'd be less of a police attention getter ('military police' makes them edgy, apparently).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove 1800 miles cross country to get her home. :)

Also, removed some decals and crap so it'd be less of a police attention getter ('military police' makes them edgy, apparently).
That's a good idea - some cops don't mind and some do, but removing all mention of "police" will prevent the ones who do from ruining your day. If you want to bring it to a MV show later in MP livery, get some door magnets made up with military police on it, in the same style and font as original, and that way you can put them on before a show, and take them off when you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks