• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodgeb

Removed my thin aluminum heater core and replaced with a much thicker heavier duty copper heater core from NAPA. Took about 2 hrs.
Checked all duct work for obstructions etc.
It now produces enough heat to stay warm on a 20 degree day in Il.
Really? :| That's frustrating - NAPA couldn't source me an aluminum one here, had to resort to mounting something slightly different (also copper) which I got from O'Reilly's.

Mine is only 'tolerable' down to about 10F at an idle, but stays warmer at highway speeds. I was told that this might be due to my thermostat being old and busted, or possibly having one of the high (low?) temp thermostats installed and that I should be able to heat the cab nicely down to -20F without problem.

ororke1

I'll check for the part number and actual cost. The core was not real expensive - less than 30 bucks as I recall.
I told the parts clerk I needed a heater core for a 1986 K-30 with no A/C, to take his time and check around that I did not want the thin alum. one. When I returned in a couple days he had this one for me. It fit with no problems.

epitts

Mine is only 'tolerable' down to about 10F at an idle, but stays warmer at highway speeds. I was told that this might be due to my thermostat being old and busted, or possibly having one of the high (low?) temp thermostats installed and that I should be able to heat the cab nicely down to -20F without problem.
Did you put a winter front on it, even some card board blocking part would help alot. I have one on my dodge also with just a 12" round opening. Heats up quick.

hunderliggur

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Got my new to me power steering pump and bracket ( the bracket on the original broke) Christmas Eve. Snow/sleet and lots of rain today so it will have to wait until after skiing!

scottladdy

Roadtest Update - Rebuilt Injection Pump and Injectors

Well, I haven't had a chance to road test her yet due to Christmas. But, it is almost like I have only to look at the key after the wait light goes out to get her to start. That is dead cold in 28 degree weather. She idles like new. I'll provide a road test report when I have a chance later this week.
Road test complete. As smooth as a 6.2 can be. Timing is set dead on to the mark and she definitely sounds more like a real diesel than before. She isn't going to set any land speed records, but she now has plenty of reserve power heading up hills. So, for an initial rating, Badger Diesel gets a positive score in the early testing. I'll provide updates at 3 and 6 months (if I remember to).

I did this in the cold, I mean really cold, because the cheap knockoff heater fuse one of the PO's had put in melted. I had no blower for the heater, and the drivers side floor vent door is missing from my truck. I recently replaced the blower speed switch with a brandy new Standard Motor Products version I picked up from RockAuto. I also cleaned up the fuse block really well this past Summer. I tested and inspected everything for shorts and all is well. So, I replaced the fuse with a name brand (Buss) 20 AMP and everything seems to be functioning properly again. To be safe, I will be replacing the blower motor and resistor shortly. I am considering powering the blower motor through a relay, as a scan of sites dedicated to old Chevy's shows this to be a more than common issue.

rsh4364

Changed motor oil and filt. and trans. filter and fluid,discovered hd th400 already has a deep pan.glad I did trans. filt. and fluid as what came out was very nasty...also got down to 14degrees last night and still started nicely,loudly but nicely,I only spin starter for a few seconds and if it doesnt start I cycle glows for another 10 secs.took 2 cycles this morning,not bad im thinking..

Last edited:

Herewego

The CB is a Uniden 980SSB.

ant2.jpgantenna.jpg

I used a 102" whip antenna. Im not sure if I like the way its mounted but its on there ( O well I am getting tired of waiting around and overpaying for original items on ebay) . I think I need to get the radio tuned in. Even though this is my first CB radio and i followed all the SWR tunning instructions, I dont think im transmitting too well.

MarcusOReallyus

If it were me, I'd want to get that antenna farther from the body. I'd probably have mounted it on the inside of that bracket, away from the body. I think you're detuning with that setup.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

What have I done lately?

Today Saturday December 29th, 2012... I finally got..... (drum roll please...............o/" )

A brand new set of 4 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, in size 31x10.50R15... TaDa!!!!

The ride great so far, I hear a bit of a low roar coming from them..

Pics will come soon, as it was too dark to take any when I got it home from the tire shop.

Just my $0.02 cents...

scottladdy

Heater Blower Motor Replacement

Replaced the blower motor on my M1008A1. The old one worked, but recently the heater fuse melted. I decided to replace the motor to be safe. Used NAPA 655-1076. Unfortunately made in China, but looks to be a decent quality for the approx. $20 it cost. Plus, it was in stock when I needed it yesterday (before the "devastating" 5 - 12 inches of snow we are now getting, at least according to the media, really?).

Side benefit, the Gen1 light would be on very low dim when the heater blower was on, increasing in brightness when the speed was increased. Only really visible at night it was so low. No evidence of this occurring with the new motor. Also, output is better with the new motor. I should have a new resistor by the end of next week. It had to be ordered.

Keith_J

I tried the new pressure washer on the 1031. 3.5 GPM, 4000 PSI but it came with size 4 nozzles so at best, it is getting 3300 PSI. The parts manual lists 3.5 size nozzles so I might need to discuss with the sales staff.

Anyhow, the lower pressure worked great at blasting the lichen off the finish without any damage. With the 15 degree nozzle, it started to de-chalk the paint but only up close. It will take time but the box will get de-chalked. Might have to hit it with another spot of TSP.

The 3300 PSI worked great on the tires and wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks