• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtn man

wheels and tires for 1009

I picked up a set of wheels and tires for my 1009... found these 16"X7" steel 'rockcrawlers' and I just so happened to have 7 'spare' goodyear wrangler MT/R's (4 new and 3 used) tires for them... want to go to 16"s on the Blazer.... get load range E tire on there.

All this comes as a guy I know tells me today "I want to buy your Blazer...." we'll see but if he doesn't take these with it he is nuts! Stay tuned to classifieds...

tires and wheels.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

If your resistor isn't bad, is there a good reason to change from what is working to something else? Just rhetorical really, but I personally wouldn't change my setup from stock unless I simply couldn't find a replacement for a bad part.
The original is a bad design. If a glow plug fails, higher voltage is applied to the remaining GPs. This results in higher current, which shortens their lives. When the next one fails, it gets worse. This leads to a cascade failure situation. Every failure of a GP shortens the life of the rest.

The GP resistor bypass eliminates this. It's got nothing to do with the resistor failing.

mdiver

Well wasn't today but last Sun the 6th. Waited to get pics to post also because we know posts without pics is useless. I got to pick mine up and drive it home. During the over 200 mile trip home, me and the 85 1008 had a nice talk. She told me how the other deuces would make fun of her size. So we decided to try to give her some features of a deuce and call her Lil Deuce. She rode great all the way home but with my beer gut the steering wheel kept cutting in it. Now it's either lose weight or get a smaller wheel. Another thing to add to my list of stuff to do.
pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpg

True Knight

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Finished the dual Optima battery mount and cleaned up all the battery related wiring. Also fixed another exhaust rattle, and re-tightened trans crossmember bolts for 5th or so time, and used lock tight this time to keep em tight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690264.677285.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690279.927294.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690311.496238.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690329.377706.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690352.107096.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690373.028964.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690401.889481.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690421.905319.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690486.559537.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357690500.160408.jpg

rvnlrrp

Got it running! Just took it (bought) from my son and got it running. Chevy dealer had installed two each batteries and alternators, but batteries slow drained. Look at the wiring and I think they wired it for a 12 V vs 24V set up as i do not see the alternator connection from the passenger side alternator to the battery. Got it running with some starting fluid and drove it with the generator guage show charge and now it turns over good but hard to start. Small squirt of starter floud it crank up and runs very smooth, so gotta find what is causing the hard start. Saw thread about fuel pressure switch so i am going to pursue that. Sure wish I could find the Buck Sgt motor Sgt I had as a 1SG before I retired!

howardc

Went to roll down my rear window to remove some boxes. The handle came off in my hands and the crank won't turn at all. Guess I'm lucky it didn't get stuck down...

cpf240

... Got it running with some starting fluid and drove it with the generator guage show charge and now it turns over good but hard to start. Small squirt of starter floud it crank up and runs very smooth, so gotta find what is causing the hard start. Saw thread about fuel pressure switch so i am going to pursue that.
Please don't use starting fluid! See this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67012-Click-click-BOOM!

I would suggest that you follow the glow plug system testing procedure in the TM's, as that is probably why it is hard to start. There are also wiring diagrams in the TM's to help you confirm the proper wiring of the batteries and alts.

By the way, unless it is leaking, forget about the fuel pressure sender, it is only used for the STE/ICE diagnostic port under the dash.

Keith_J

Finished the dual Optima battery mount and cleaned up all the battery related wiring. Also fixed another exhaust rattle, and re-tightened trans crossmember bolts for 5th or so time, and used lock tight this time to keep em tight.

View attachment 403179View attachment 403180View attachment 403181View attachment 403182View attachment 403183View attachment 403184View attachment 403185View attachment 403188View attachment 403190View attachment 403191
Not for cold climates. I've had bad luck with Optimas in diesel engines. They get voltage depression during extended pre-glow periods, then they lack the voltage to crank with enough speed. Might work in warmer climates but absolutely not in Montana.

Shackelford R

I did doghead and clean more eletrical connections under dash, lubed spedo cable, tested gen2 alt diode tested good, and started putting dash back togather.

True Knight

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Not for cold climates. I've had bad luck with Optimas in diesel engines. They get voltage depression during extended pre-glow periods, then they lack the voltage to crank with enough speed. Might work in warmer climates but absolutely not in Montana.
Interesting. Yeah I've never had any problems with them in so cal. I've had optima in my M1028 for a about a year and a half now.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Attachments

ajsmith184

I had some Xmas money burning a hole in my pocket so sprung for a pair of the molle seat covers for my 1009. Set was $199.96 delivered from http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Jeep-Interior-Accessories/Smittybilt-GEAR-Seat-Cover . I have had it for 2 years and thought I had cleaned it out pretty good back when I got it, but found these two kooky hockey pucks wrapped in a rag jammed up under the passengers seat.
|
Are those just the jeep seat covers? or did you specify for a chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks