• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richingalveston

centramatic wheel balancers

I installed the centramatic balancers on my 1009. These Auto wheel balancers are made in Alvarado Texas and I had a set on a motorhome which worked great. I also know of a couple of independant truckers that use these on there trucks and swear by them. I went by and picked up a set for my 1009.
I have 1008 axles (d60 and 14bolt with drums) on it with recentered hummer wheels so I purchased the ones that they make for the H1 Hummers, they did not fit the front because they hit the brake caliper in front. If you use spacers, the standard H1 balancers will work. I exchanged mine a couple of weeks later for a different set which fit both the front and back with no issues. The Model number is 370-800 'all flat balancers' The H1 set have a an offset of about 1/4 inch and thus they hit on the caliper. This model is flat and there is about an 1/8 inch of clearance on between them and the calipers and that is with brand new bads, as the pads wear more space will be created. They will give you some 1/8 inch spacers for a little more clearance if you ask for them. They also give a 30 day money back garentee if you purchase them and they do not fit.
They make a set for standard size 8 lug chevy wheels, the ring is smaller and they have half of the weights in them. The H1's are made for the heavier wheels and tires.
The model I purchased should fit almost any rim since the ring faces inward. It will fit facing outward on my recentered H1's with the addition of an 1/8 inch spacer between the balancer and the wheel.

Cant drive it yet due to t-case not finished but from past experience they should work fine. I may have to add some beads but it should be a very small amount if any.

Attachments

MilChevyguy

Where did you get it and what part number water pump did you use?
HI Jets, got the pump here in Toronto at wholesale parts guy...its a Cardone #55-11118 fit right and came with gaskets and plug.
Filing the coolant tomorrow during work and take it for a test run (hope I got no leaks!!!)
Go figure all I had in the garage was the Dexcool Orange flavour today!!!

jets1959

HI Jets, got the pump here in Toronto at wholesale parts guy...its a Cardone #55-11118 fit right and came with gaskets and plug.
Filing the coolant tomorrow during work and take it for a test run (hope I got no leaks!!!)
Go figure all I had in the garage was the Dexcool Orange flavour today!!!
Thanks, I have been looking for a spare and I heard horror stories about getting the wrong one! I have been running Dexcool, the orange for two years now with no problem. You just need to make sure no green stuff is left in the system. Thanks again, Dwayne

ramcatdoc

Nothing big, but very gratifying: I'd been having increasing trouble with my M1009 not upshifting correctly into third and slamming into second. Was concerned that this 28 year old transmission might be dying. My transmission fluid was nice and pink and did not smell burned. Didn't know what was up. But with the help of a posting or two on SS and the CUCV TM, I was able to replace a cracked 3-inch piece of vacuum hose right next to the transmission. Now she changes gears like butter and right on time! Didn't cost a penny, as my favorite auto parts store (AZ, not to mention names) gave me a hunk of cast-off for free. Thanks for all your collective help!

MilChevyguy

Thanks, I have been looking for a spare and I heard horror stories about getting the wrong one! I have been running Dexcool, the orange for two years now with no problem. You just need to make sure no green stuff is left in the system. Thanks again, Dwayne
Well I topped it up today and no problems after burping the system of air...it only had the green stuff in it originally so I just went with the same thing again...no leaks, correct spin direction, no problems with the Cardone one.
Have a pic of the label on the box if anyone needs it.

Durango_USMC

Need to find a new gen 2 alternator.... Just cracked the one I got trying to get the bearing out.... I am not happy at all right now. But I just ordered one and I hope and pray it clears up my Gen2 issue when it finally gets here. I started poking around the transmission a bit, im still not sure whats causing the lack of upshift from 2-3the heres a couple pics of the vacuum actuator and linkage. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Last edited:
I installed the centramatic balancers on my 1009. These Auto wheel balancers are made in Alvarado Texas and I had a set on a motorhome which worked great. I also know of a couple of independant truckers that use these on there trucks and swear by them. I went by and picked up a set for my 1009.
I have 1008 axles (d60 and 14bolt with drums) on it with recentered hummer wheels so I purchased the ones that they make for the H1 Hummers, they did not fit the front because they hit the brake caliper in front. If you use spacers, the standard H1 balancers will work. I exchanged mine a couple of weeks later for a different set which fit both the front and back with no issues. The Model number is 370-800 'all flat balancers' The H1 set have a an offset of about 1/4 inch and thus they hit on the caliper. This model is flat and there is about an 1/8 inch of clearance on between them and the calipers and that is with brand new bads, as the pads wear more space will be created. They will give you some 1/8 inch spacers for a little more clearance if you ask for them. They also give a 30 day money back garentee if you purchase them and they do not fit.
They make a set for standard size 8 lug chevy wheels, the ring is smaller and they have half of the weights in them. The H1's are made for the heavier wheels and tires.
The model I purchased should fit almost any rim since the ring faces inward. It will fit facing outward on my recentered H1's with the addition of an 1/8 inch spacer between the balancer and the wheel.

Cant drive it yet due to t-case not finished but from past experience they should work fine. I may have to add some beads but it should be a very small amount if any.
really interested in this setup.... and how it will work on your rig, can you Pm me the model numbers for the front and rear? as I have the same axle setup as you... DUH... nevermind... re read your post...lol I need more coffee... Would still like to know if you have to add more beads....

Last edited:

richingalveston

I should know soon. I just got the tracking number from ORD for my magnum box, It is supposed to be here this friday. due to work, it will take me a couple of weeks to get installed but this is the last piece i have been waiting on to get the truck on the road. 4 t0 6 weeks has turned into almost 6 months waiting for the magnum.

they have a couple of balancers that come close to fitting so specify the part number and 'all flat balancer' to get the right one they are about $300 for a set of 4 and front and rear are the same. I plan to do a disc upgrade on the rear in the future and hopefully it will work out the same as the front.

Once I get them tested, I will let everyone know how well they work. I have had these before on heavy motorhome wheels and they were great so I am expecting the same from these.

jets1959

Need to find a new gen 2 alternator.... Just cracked the one I got trying to get the bearing out.... I am not happy at all right now. But I just ordered one and I hope and pray it clears up my Gen2 issue when it finally gets here. I started poking around the transmission a bit, im still not sure whats causing the lack of upshift from 2-3the heres a couple pics of the vacuum actuator and linkage. Let me know what you think.
It should up shift from first to second at about fifteen mph indicated and from second to third about twenty five mph indicated. Linkage has nothing to do with auto up shifting. It is a vaccuum issue. Start at the vaccuum pump. Disconnect the rubber hose and see if you are getting vaccuum. Then just keep going all the way to the transmission vaccuum module. The pump, valve, line, hose or module is bad, cracked or is leaking. I hope this helps. My vaccuum pump was bad on mine. It isn't cheap I think it was about $100 from rockauto.com. What number and from where did you order your alternator?

Durango_USMC

What number and from where did you order your alternator?
It was the only one with an isolated ground I could find that actually looked like my alternator as well http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y3PT7O...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B008Y3PT7O
I found it by typing in the 1105500 part number on the back of the casing of my alternator (the casing I cracked)... So I hope it works. I started to do a little light prep for the king pin rebuild by scrubbing the dirt and crud off the knuckle area. Turns out those are actually painted red. I was surprised by that.

max1008

i ordered 2 for my truck offebay when i first got the truck. the 1 lasted about 5 minutes before the rotor failed and the other lasted 6 months. i wasnt very happy. from now on i wound just buy a cucv one and repair it as needed.

jets1959

It was the only one with an isolated ground I could find that actually looked like my alternator as well http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y3PT7O...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B008Y3PT7O
I found it by typing in the 1105500 part number on the back of the casing of my alternator (the casing I cracked)... So I hope it works. I started to do a little light prep for the king pin rebuild by scrubbing the dirt and crud off the knuckle area. Turns out those are actually painted red. I was surprised by that.
The red indicates primer. Your axles were replaced at some point and not painted! Let me know how your alternators work out for you. If they work out I will order two for myself. Thanks, Dwayne

85CUCVtom

Re: What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

Picked up the power steering line going from the gearbox to the hydroboost. Hopefully installing this weekend.

85CUCVtom

Re: What have you done to your CUCV today/lately?

I almost forgot, had our metal shop at work cut me a nice aluminum mounting plate for my fuel filter setup.

Durango_USMC

Dwayne,

It should be here tomorrow so we shall see how it goes. Gen 1 is still original so I guess Ill have something to compare it to. There is also a 1 year warrantee apparently but lets hope it works amd I wont need it. Interesting about the axle though, does that mean I need to paint it or is it alright as is?

rvnlrrp

What did I do, probably fried the wiring. 1985 m1008 sits up 1-2 weeks at a time and there is a ground and slow discharge I haven't found yet. I jumped it with my other CUCV as I always do, but my son said sparks flew from the pos terminal on the rear battery when I turned the key. Truck cranked and ran good, but noticed that the dash voltage meter was pegged to the discharge side and with it running there was no movement in the needle. So when I go "to the farm" this weekend to "figgerout" what I killed, any ideas where to start or which fuses, fusible links are now history? I'll take my multimeter to see it the alternators are in fact charging. The alternators are about 1 year old. Any time saving ideas would be appreciated. I have the wiring schematics fro the TMs.

jets1959

Dwayne,

It should be here tomorrow so we shall see how it goes. Gen 1 is still original so I guess Ill have something to compare it to. There is also a 1 year warrantee apparently but lets hope it works amd I wont need it. Interesting about the axle though, does that mean I need to paint it or is it alright as is?
Thanks again for keeping me up to date on the alternator. The red primer is fine if you like red. Civy trucks didn't have any paint at all or just a very light coat of black paint from the factory. Personally I would just get a couple cans of spray paint OD Green or flat black and just give it a quick coat. Thanks again Dwayne

Durango_USMC

rvnlrrp,

Check the fuse on the bottom of the fuse block labelled 28v should be 10 Amp I think. after that check the voltmeter relay and gen 2 relay (if the gen 2 light is still working while the glow plugs are warming up its probably good). Then start working your way through the rest of the wiring. I wish I could be more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks