• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if its the warm weather or what, but I've noticed the engine in my 09 is running smoother and quieter, and seems to have a bit more power lately.
:beer:

Durango_USMC

I'm installing it now. I hope and pray thistakes care of the Gen 2 issue I have. I also noticed the hose leading to the CDR valve is loose and theres a good deal of old oil around the CDR valve. Hmmmm

Durango_USMC

Ran into a problem reconnecting the batteries... I got the alternator mounted up and connected. I go to reconnect the batteries the same wayit says on the truck and the same way I have done in the past. Rear battery positive, front battery positive, rear battery negative, front battery negative. Well when I get to the rear battery negative sparks fly a bit more than normal. and then it kind of crackles and smokes as the cable stays in contact with the battery terminal. I stopped and thought I would come here for advice first. I'm paranoid about frying my system.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check your "new" alternator.

Use your multimeter to check for continuity between the ground stud (the one with the black insulator) and the case. It should be an open circuit.

Post a pic of how you wired the alternator

Last edited:

Durango_USMC

Trying to get pics up, my phone isnt working propperly and the digital camera is MIA. The red and white wire is the only wire connected to the ground stud. The positive terminal has the orange wire, and red wire attached to it. the alternator plug is installed at the top with the little lever/tab facing towards the grille. As for checking continuity... I'm not 100% on it but with the multimeter in the ohm setting and the black probe on the ground stud and the red probe touching the casing I get a reading of 6.36.

I think I know what may be wrong now that I think of it. the metal part that the wires crimp into may be touching the case somewhere. I'm going to go double check. I hope I didnt fry the new one :shock:

Durango_USMC

A little lost on the multimeter thing, butI think I did it right... Anyways I'm going to the manufacturer's site to hopefully figure out how to use it properly. I should probably learn how to speed things up in the future and to know what I am doing.

I looked again and on the positive stud I had turned the nut a little too far and it had moved the red wire so that the metal it was crimped to was touching the alternator case. I just went back and adjusted the wire positions and triple checked that no metal was touching the case from any of the wires on the insulated studs.

Hooked up the batteries again, no sparks this time. Gen 2 still doesnt light up on pre-start. I'm thinking alternator plug... mine seems pretty toasty/nasty to say the least. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Last edited:

jets1959

A little lost on the multimeter thing, butI think I did it right... Anyways I'm going to the manufacturer's site to hopefully figure out how to use it properly. I should probably learn how to speed things up in the future and to know what I am doing.

I looked again and on the positive stud I had turned the nut a little too far and it had moved the red wire so that the metal it was crimped to was touching the alternator case. I just went back and adjusted the wire positions and triple checked that no metal was touching the case from any of the wires on the insulated studs.

Hooked up the batteries again, no sparks this time. Gen 2 still doesnt light up on pre-start. I'm thinking alternator plug... mine seems pretty toasty/nasty to say the least. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Does the gen2 light come on at all? If not swap out the gen1 and gen2 bulbs to check the bulb. Also the contacts get dirty and or corroded on the bulb socket at the printed curcit board clean the board and socket then turn the socket several time to get a good contact. Hope this helps!

Durango_USMC

Does the gen2 light come on at all? If not swap out the gen1 and gen2 bulbs to check the bulb. Also the contacts get dirty and or corroded on the bulb socket at the printed curcit board clean the board and socket then turn the socket several time to get a good contact. Hope this helps!
Doesn't come on at all... my last experience taking the dash apart didnt go so well. I'm not looking forward to it again :? But I think I need to at this point. I ressurected my restoration thread with a few things I found as well.I'm working on putting in the pictures.

They Goodyear Wrangler RT2 are 36x12.5R16.5 They are the older bias ply tires used on the Humvee (replaced by 37x12.5R16.5 Goodyear MT radials). They measure on the smaller side (the ones I had were about 34.5")
The guy who sold me my truck told me they were on the short side of 36 as well. He has them on his truck with no lift but said he had to do a lot of cutting.

MilChevyguy

Well that is good news if the tires are on the short side....I also wanted to put a set on our Excursion (sorry for the bad word!!)
Just hard to find the newer 8bolt pattern in 16.5" rims!!

Gona have to do some fitting tests!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks