• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keefer

today i was looking for things that could go bump in the night on my cucv. and what do i see? a bullet hole! looks like a 5.56 but im gonna check it out and see what kind of gun might have fired it. apparently i bought a truck that has been shot up.

dragon1124

today I woke up, went to the store for a pack of cigarettes...... While driving, the truck had a wobble while coasting and slowing, 5-15 and 15 down to 0. Went to the mechanic, nothing wrong at all with the suspension. I decided to have the tires rotated, and sure enough another problem. I had to have the rear differential seals replaced, along with entire rear brakes done. After that, on the way home, one of the tires sprung a leak, had that replaced. Lucky I wasn't on the highway, the tread separated from the tire itself leaving a 3" gash in the tire. Long story short, my wobble is fixed now with a new tire.

Another thing I did with the M1009 was take it to the dealer for a trade in, waiting on paperwork now.

K9Vic

Well Saturday I have to replace the lower radiator hose as I noticed it was leaking when I was at Lowes. I was able to make it home carefully watching the street and temp light, but the hole was just starting and was not summer. I had just replaced the IP a few weeks ago, but did not notice this then. So I am sure it just started today, glad I always do a quick scan when I get in my truck before I drive away.

Went to the mechanic...

Another thing I did with the M1009 was take it to the dealer for a trade in, waiting on paperwork now.
I don't come from a military background, but I'm picturing that over-the-top drill Sargent screaming, "SACK UP BOY!"

Curious what the trade in value of a '09 is.

edpdx

Well I got the news from CALTRIC regarding my starter. They are sending me a replacement solenoid via Priority Mail. I put two new Group 31 batteries on. The battery tray is made to take them I found out. The battery is just a little longer than the top brace So I used a dremel on the plastic that was in the way.

The batteries have screw posts on top. I installed these lead adaptor; but they seem like they are not really the right fix- more for temporarily charging the battery, Today I picked up some 3/8" cable flat copper lugs to replace the beat-to-**** post clamps. I am going to solder them in on all the battery cable leads. I also bought these quick connect Anderson connectors for a hopefully trick starter install. The idea is to splice the connector in the front battery cable that runs to the starter solenoid. I will add it a few inches up from where the cable is clamped to the frame. That way I can prewire the starter. Bolt it in place easily enough and just use the quick connect to complete the connection afterwards. The purple wire will get a water-proof connector and an additional 8-10 inches of wire about 10 inches from the "S" terminal on the solenoid. Once it is connected I can draw up the excess wire through the loom at the back of the intake manifold and zip tie it so it won't dangle.

I write these mods in the back of the TM9 and make a note to refer to it in the appropriate section, so I don't forget what I did later. If I ever sell... the book goes with the Blazer.

91W350

Changed the oil and filter on the M1009, changed the fuel filter, replaced the speedometer cable, replaced the glow plugs and one of the lead screw on battery posts referred to above. It kept coming loose and finally would not tighten. I apparently stripped the threads someplace along the line. It fired right up, oil pressure came right up, it fell to that nice clatter like it was supposed to.... life is good....

Bethelfire

Replaced the starter last week(old one fried) with one from NAPA. I didn't relize how slow the old one was turning the motor over until I installed the new one. It spins it 10 times faster which means it starts a lot quicker! New speedometer, fuel guage, wig wags and a light bar for the fire department. People really seem to respect the old girl when she comes up behind them with all of those lights flashing.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Replaced the stock fuel pump with one from a 6.5L. PITA but worth it since I didn't have to buy a new one. Had to cut the inlet tube and thread it to put a fitting on and had to readjust the steal outlet line a bit but all went smooth. Did the oil pan and tranny pan/filter last week.....still leaks. Pulled the pans down today and the pans were both jacked. Didn't have time to go get new pans so I siliconed them. Perfect. And hot **** does this truck shift smooth now!!! This weekend will replace king pin springs, tie rod ends, ball joints, stabilizer bushings, glow plug controller and glow plugs. Should make for a fun weekend. Next project is rebuilding the power steering pump and steering gear box.

chevymike

How are you liking the Gear Vendors overdrive? I am about ready to pull the trigger on buying one. Visited their company last week and liked what I saw/heard. Would like a real world CUCV experience.

DXTAC

Got Mongo back yesterday from getting the trans rebuilt and WOW what a difference!!! Had an RV shift kit installed (mild kit), new Dynamic converter, Derale deep trans pan, Hayden trans cooler and AMSOIL trans fluid. Drives and shifts like a dream now.

Also completed the following:
- Replaced transmission lines
- Rebuilt CV joint (front drive shaft)
- Replaced the U-joints
- Replaced all the seals on the transfer case
- Serviced the front brakes (lubed and cleaned - no more squeaks)
- Changed fluid in transfer case
- Replaced headlights with Sylvania SilverStars (WOW what a difference)

Now I need to replace the connecting rod as it has some slop. This might be my problem with steering wander??? If not, maybe the steering box adjustment next then if all else fails a new steering box.

Also:
- I noticed I lost some wheel weights so I have to have the tires balanced.
- Tighten a slightly loose belt (post replacement tighten).
- Power steering service and hoses (last seepage in the engine compartment)
- Radiator hoses and flush
and so on, and so on, and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.