• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darwin T

M1028A2/3 with maintance bed with NP205 transfer case. don't know what axles i have. i am machanically retarded, i can barely put diesel in it. i have not got it to my mechanic for a onceover. when it get my checkup report i will let you know more.

rjinga

Dropped the striker bolt just a little; removed the passenger door to reinstall the bushing the right way on the lower hinge (to err is human) and to tap the loose hinge back in. Now retraining myself and the rest of the family to NOT slam the doors like their life depended on it.

HoJoPo

Ordered a new coolant overflow bottle (bottom mount broken, so you can't fill it without it leaking, but it holds enough to handle expansion), and brake pedal pads (both parking and service brake) from the local GM dealer.

Ordered the ignition lock set and door locks (from GMCPAULS), as the CUCV key I bought off e-bay won't lock/unlock the doors, and the ignition lock is broken. Fortunately, I have the tools and experience to do that work myself. The keyed-alike set was cheaper than just the ignition lock from the dealer.

Fired it up, and verified that all the blackout lights are working, as well as all the service lights. I wish they'd left the spotlight on the roof... it may be fun to find a replacement (M1010). I did duct tape up the hole in the roof of the cab to keep the rain out. :D

I suppose I could mount an antenna there, maybe for 2 meters, or 70 CM (Kenwood TS-2000 radio is going in there, mounted in the back with a remote control head in the front, and it has separate outputs for 2M and 70cm, so it'll need two antennas, along with a 6M/HF antenna, which I'll probably mount on the stock military mount).

Oh, and the glow plug controller started working... the glow plug light now goes out after about 30-60 seconds, and it starts fine. Guess I can keep the CUCV electric one as a spare. I think it never got hot enough before with the 24v glow plugs and the 12v batteries in parallel.

It also started charging right away, and now is charging at idle, so I guess the voltage regulators are good. Meter solidly in the middle of the green range when running, and down in yellow (battery) when off... and confirmed it with a multimeter.

Antelope Valley Search and Rescue mounted a light bar to the top of the A/C unit with 2" angle iron brackets, I wonder if I should put a yellow light bar up there (probably should check California's legal issues first...)

Starter seems to be a bit fast, are the 24v starters pretty quick? I still think it might have a 12V starter in it....

wrex

Nice paint job
I used sherwin Williams waterborne carc I don't like the rapco stuff, its more money for the sherwin Williams but worth it.
Thanks.

Yeah, I got some Rapco and wasn't too happy with it on the vehicle. It's ok for tools and junk though, so not a total waste.

I'm planning on getting mine from MilSpray, unless someone tells me not too, lol.

DieselOnly

New here but figured I would throw up some pictures of my CUCV
Thats how I got it

Lined interior

3/4 ton axles 4" Skyjacker lift 35/15.50/16.5 Super Swampers, I also put a stereo in it but cant find the pictures right now.

ryan77

To me the rapco looks to shiny and the color doesnt look right!!!! Go with the sherwin williams stevie wonder can paint a truck with it!!!!!!

southdave

repost with pics

CDR relocation,Radio, tilt install, Console with instrument cluster, battery relocation.. note the steering wheel upside down but I have intermittent wipers!!!
still have to put speakers in reinstall new/plod dash...
Sorry no pic posted last time the last pic is what I started with two years ago

Attachments

wrex

Nice paint job
To me the rapco looks to shiny and the color doesnt look right!!!! Go with the sherwin williams stevie wonder can paint a truck with it!!!!!!
Where do you get it? Is there an online resource to purchase it? My local SW paint store looked at me all retarded when I asked about it, lol.

Also, how does the SW brand compare to Milsprays?

wrex

Thanks to epitts for a little doc I'm going to throw in the face of the local SW rep tomorrow.

Last edited:

southdave

@southdave

Is that the Banks Sidewinder turbo or something else?
GM5 turbo setup.. I got way too much boost ... 10psi feel better with 8psi, but I'll get it dailed in this weekend.
CARC.
As for the sherwin williams thing you have to find an Industrail Coating store look on the web.. but it is Cali. you may be going to AZ for it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks