• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerchambers

Had a close call today... Noticed some noise this last weekend while driving. I couldn't figure out what the noise was... Turned out today that my wheel bearings were shot on the passenger side! I was luckily in Napa's parking lot when it started to go out... I replaced it with the help of a friend who happened to be at Napa shopping at the time. :grd:

Jerchambers

Had a close call today... Noticed some noise this last weekend while driving. I couldn't figure out what the noise was... Turned out today that my wheel bearings were shot on the passenger side! I was luckily in Napa's parking lot when it started to go out... I replaced it with the help of a friend who happened to be at Napa shopping at the time. :grd:
Oh yeah Tie rods need to be replaced as well... Doing that next.

chevyCUCV

With 2 people working probably took 5 hours or so, working in my driveway in the dark. This included packing all 4 bearings.

I printed out the tm's on hub removal, bearing replacement, caliper removal and axle shaft u joint replacement.
Ujoints were hammered out, no press needed

Take your time and refenence manuals if you get hung up

jets1959

With 2 people working probably took 5 hours or so, working in my driveway in the dark. This included packing all 4 bearings.

I printed out the tm's on hub removal, bearing replacement, caliper removal and axle shaft u joint replacement.
Ujoints were hammered out, no press needed

Take your time and refenence manuals if you get hung up
Thanks, I have the parts, tools and the manuals. Just need to find the time. I to will be working in my driveway, but hopefully not in the dark.[thumbzup]

erniemigi

Replaced both front calibers, driver side brake line, front brakes and rear brakes, rear universal joint, next is to get rid of the mufflers and just straight pipe it (baffles inside of them broke loose so it's annoying as ****) has anyone done this on their M1009

jdeoliveira74

Replaced both front calibers, driver side brake line, front brakes and rear brakes, rear universal joint, next is to get rid of the mufflers and just straight pipe it (baffles inside of them broke loose so it's annoying as ****) has anyone done this on their M1009
I have done 2.5 " pipe straight back to high flow mufflers and its loud enough I would bet straight pipe would be too loud

jdeoliveira74

I took out my sliding rear windows and put in glass from my civi parts truck replace the rear window as well my old one was scratched real bad.
Was going to pull windshield but i broke the civi one that was tinted too soooo mad.
Next I want to do the snorkle

Disciple

next is to get rid of the mufflers and just straight pipe it (baffles inside of them broke loose so it's annoying as ****) has anyone done this on their M1009
About a week after I bought my M1008 I crawled underneath it with a Sawz-all and hacked off the pipes just in front of each muffler and stuck in some 45 degree elbows and clamped 'em on pointing towards the ground/rear tires. Ground Pounders! It sounds TOTALLY B.A. but I'm pretty sure all my neighbors hate me even more now. It sounds like a really built big block gas motor with pipes. I personally love the way it sounds but on long road trips it gets a little loud even for me. Luckily I carry custom ear plugs everywhere I go. Also, Minnesota did away with emission testing/inspections years ago, so no worries there, but I still go easy on the skinny pedal around cops. Definitely a noise ordinance violation at full throttle. I'm guessing somewhere in the 110-120 dB range. The sound bounces off the ground and the bed of the truck pretty well. It sounds pretty much normal over deep snow. Stealth factor = zero. I'd assume that I picked up a couple of horsepower and slightly better mileage, but that has more to do with how you drive it. You'll want to stomp on the throttle more.

Jerchambers

Here are some pictures of the new tie rods. The first pic is of the old wheel bearing that was trashed. I know I'm not the first person to do this but it was my first time trying... I am becoming more of a weekend mechanic as I thought. I am proud of the work. I have more posts coming.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jerchambers

Here is another couple of projects done this weekend. I painted the rear bumper black (going to do the front grill and bumper as well). I also installed a roof rack made by Thule and Yakima combined. I found the gutter for the rack along with the towers at an REI garage sail for $150 (that's an outdoor store by the way). The Moab basket I got for $50 from my sister in-law. Good deals and finally done for a little bit. Just waiting on funds for the 4" lift.

Attachments

SGT LongT

Cup Holders

I added a cup holder (finally) and some presidential and state leadership that seems to agree with me when I hit the rough stuff.
Did you make those yourself or did you re-purpose them and paint them. Either way I like the look and robust design. If you did make it would you be willing to make more? If you bought it could you provide a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks