• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPCWarning

Paint

I was a big spender today! I bought a whole gallon of latex flat exterior paint from Lowe's to paint my 1009! No, it wasn't a CARC formula, I picked it up out of the samples ( I was in a hurry picking up materials to build a porch for a family member. It's a little lighter than what's left of my CARC green, but it's gonna look SO much better! If I'm not completely pleased with it, I'll paint right over it with a little darker shade. I may even go back camo. I covered the new hood and an entire quarter with the initial coat with only about an inch of paint out of the gallon. Should be enough to do the entire truck with two coats! I'll post pix when it's finished. You can tell by the attached pic that it's a shade lighter but to the untrained eye it should pass. I'm not restoring my truck, just making it look better. Oh, and I applied it with a roller! :jumpin: Smoothed out real well and is ultra flat looking. I hope it holds up for a while. Time will tell and I'll keep yall posted.

Attachments

dmilkman589

painted mine camo, and pulled the whole fuse box off thinking i melted something later finding out that the 20 amp fuse in the lower left hand corner of the fuse box powers the volt meter, the gen 2 light, and all auxiliary ports on the box.

Attachments

soule64

Any good places to find stencils? I need the TP 45 and one interior one to make me happy.
I searched "stencils" and found a bunch of hits. From what I found, 2" Gothic - centered and visible for the bumpers, 1" same same for the TP is about right.

I remember using 2" brass stencils for spray on, which is the more traditional Army font (split numbers and letters), or the 2" peel and stick stuff whenever we had to change bumper numbers. Never had to paint anything else.

I think I will go with one of the MS Word Gothic fonts, print my numbers at 2" and then carve them out with an exacto knife and spray away.

JSF01

Well I ended up deciding to just grind a bit of the shackles to get them to fit properly, as they were the proper weight rating and even if they where suppose to be for a trailer since I don't own one they'd be useless to me any way and I would not have to buy new ones. I got them and the pins painted, and put on my truck. Oh yea I also did the resister by-pass about two weeks ago, and it works great. (Not that I expected it not to.) M1008driver originally told me how easy it was and what to do about a month ago, but I ended up searching the forums for 3 days any way to figure out what to do as I was convinced it could not be that easy and I was missing something.

coleman4130

Volt Meter

Researched here and the web for an hour or three.
Found the coolest electronics store in Boulder, CO; JB Saunders.
Purchased a 300 0hm 5W resistor for 75 cents.
Installed resistor and the volt meter works! But, is pegged past redline.
Remove new resistor.
Play with Ohm meter and research for another hour or three.
Wipe off original resistor with fingers and reinstall to start over.
Turn key and it works fine.
Learned a lesson.
Shared lesson with photos of unnecessarily mod.
For Sale: 300 Ohm 5W resistor, lightly used; 50 cents.

Attachments

SPCWarning

Painted

Got "Butterbean" painted all but the grille/grille guard, and front bumper. Two coats latex on all exterior. Gonna go darker next time. As of now, I have about 36 hrs. and $40 in the paint job.

Attachments

SPCWarning

looks good! Today I figured out that the inverted V's I did are both crooked... ugh

MUST FIX
Small fix..........at least they're the right color and not the color of a vegetable like my whole truck! Really though Nick, when we did ours in Desert Storm most were either slapped on with a paint brush or sprayed on with rattle-can paint. I definitely couldn't tell they were crooked in the pic you posted.

cpf240

Taught my boys how to change the engine oil and filter. We also changed the fluid in the transfer case. Sometime this weekend we'll tackle the trans filter and fluid and the gear oil in the diffs. Took way longer then I expected, but there was lots of pointing out things and explanations given.

This is one of the reason my wife is good with my having bought the M1009... the boys need to learn this stuff, and what better than a nice family project? :razz:

jgb680

I have owned my 84 m1008 since December of last year. In the last year I have put in head gaskests in, thermostat, tie rod ends, rear axle seal, stained the dash and door panels, doghead starter relay, steering stablizer, trailer hitch, front leaf spring bushings, shocks, one injector o ring, cd player, heater blower motor switch and resistor, air filter, 295/75/16 bfg all terrains, radiator hoses, batteries, manual glow plug switch, glow plugs, tail light lenses ans bulb, side marker lenses and bulbs, oil cooler hoses, sanded and fixed pealing paint. i think thats everything, haha, i'm sure i'm forgetting some things. this was supposed to an easy project, i traded a broken jeep cherokee rock crawler for it. that never works out

Status
Not open for further replies.