• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmike

Did another Doghead Mod and Glow Plug relay replacement on my newly acquired M1009. I found the parts at O'Reilly's . The starter relay was the same model # 7-1860-1 hanging on a rack (by "Prime Line") -- and the GP relay is an S55. It crosses with the NAPA ST-85.

A week after getting my M1008 home - In a fit of wild eyed cucv fever I purchased the M1009. And since the ball was rolling at a fairly good clip -- i knew I couldn't stop it --- so I just decided to go with it --- and purchased two M101A2 trailers.[FONT=Verdana, Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2]

Whatever you do -- Don't stop me, I'm on a roll!!:driver:

TMike
[/SIZE][/FONT]

jdeoliveira74

Did another Doghead Mod and Glow Plug relay replacement on my newly acquired M1009. I found the parts at O'Reilly's . The starter relay was the same model # 7-1860-1 hanging on a rack (by "Prime Line") -- and the GP relay is an S55. It crosses with the NAPA ST-85.

A week after getting my M1008 home - In a fit of wild eyed cucv fever I purchased the M1009. And since the ball was rolling at a fairly good clip -- i knew I couldn't stop it --- so I just decided to go with it --- and purchased two M101A2 trailers.

[SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana, Arial,Helvetica]Whatever you do -- Don't stop me, I'm on a roll!!:driver:[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2][FONT=Verdana, Arial,Helvetica]TMike[/FONT][/SIZE]
your out of control..... Im jealous

unaffiliated

The other day I took the instrument cluster out, completely disassembled it and cleaned everything. I painted the inside of the housing (only the part where the speedo and fuel gauge are) with chrome paint per recommendation from another member. I installed the plastic lens from a parts truck that had gauges. The lens covers the GEN, 4WD and OIL PRES lights. It kinda tones them down and looks nice. Not sure why the original lens didn't cover those lights. It looked kinda unfinished in my opinion. I didn't have new bulbs so I just took some out of the parts truck to get everything working. The chrome paint on the speedo side made a HUGE difference in the amount of light reflected onto the speedo and fuel gauge. A clean plastic lens didn't hurt either. I can actually see the fuel gauge at night now. I also hooked up my glow plug button while I had the bezel off. I was just touching a bare wire from the light blue to ground to energize the glow plug relay. Much easier now.

wired1000

I replaced my CDR Valve and re-tensioned my belts. Got rid of an annoying rattle at idle (don't worry there's still about 100 more annoying rattles at idle) due to one of the power steering bracket bolts being loose (again! I know!!!)

The new CDR Valve seemed to make a world of difference! (Found it on ebay from a seller that had only listed them for Humvee's, but mentioned that it also fit the CUCV. It had a slightly different "lip" on the hose connection parts, but otherwise seemed to be an exact match!

Also tried to adjust my cold start fast-idle solenoid but it doesn't appear to be functioning. (If I jump the positive battery terminal to that green wire, it should do something, right? Going to have to do some reading about that before digging deeper into that mess.

Also noticed that my fuel injector return lines are old and crackly... it's a miracle I'm only getting one minor leak from those... and may replace them today or tomorrow. Vacuum lines are the same way, so that'll probably happen all at once.

Every day it gets a little bit closer to 100%!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

GSDFHEALEY

85 cucv

Yesterday, I found a water leak coming out around the powersteering bracket stud. Removed the powersteering pump to find the bracket broken in several places. fixed all that and took it for a spin. While driving it I found that the frontend will shimmy real bad while braking. I had a friend turn the wheel back and forth and found that the tie rod ends are shot along with the draglink. Thank GOD I did have to pay for the truck a friend gave it to me. It only has 69,000 mile on it and is in great shape. The truck didnt run when I got it. fixed all the glow plug issues and runs great now. Thank GOD for friends that are mechanically challenged and bite off more than they can chew. lol

HikerMan

today -
-air filter change
-oil and oil filter change
-new fuses and fusible links to get er running
-new center console, pic below
-painted it black to match the floor, and added a pad with scrap wood, fabric, bolts so that my arm wouldn't roast in the summer

tomorrow -
new transmission filter, fluid, and gasket

Took it offroading a little today and it did great, climbed some good walls and didn't even skip a tire the whole time

Attachments

Matt65

I received the flexplate from Saturn Surplus. I have 1 bad spot that finds my starter every couple of months. One day I will attack this little project.

True Knight

Put a trailer hitch on my M1028. It was originallya factory hitch on a 93 Suburban. I cut off the burban mounting brackets and made new ones out of 1/4" diamond plate I had laying around. Then welded it all together, welding the hitch to the bumper as well as the brackets. Overkill... Then sprayed it with crappy spray paint that's not even close to matching the CARC. Getting the real CARC is on my to do list...

Attachments

hotdogs151a2

Nice hitch Mr. True Knight. Good quality on the install also. I put one on my 1028 a few years ago. It was a very good upgrade to the truck.
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Pvt. Hotdog

firefirefire90

I think my glow plug relay is starting to go. It looks like it was replaced recently.. looks pretty new. When I try and start the truck it makes that grinding rotating sound so it's probably time for replacement.

100acre

gibblegick

I replaced my doghead relay. My ignition switch is still bad so I am having to use a heavy gauge wire to cross the two top wires on the DH relay after I put the key in the start position.

got a tan cover for my m101a2 today as well as fiberglass back gates too !! yippee yea hooray!!!:jumpin:

wayne pick

I think my glow plug relay is starting to go. It looks like it was replaced recently.. looks pretty new. When I try and start the truck it makes that grinding rotating sound so it's probably time for replacement.
Sounds more like a starter motor problem. The bendix is not fully engaging and grinding on the ringear. Pull trans cover off and look for any ground teeth on it. Spray PB Blaster on the worm gear, They get sticky sometimes. U may have to change the starter motor solinoid. or get a reman starter motor

firefirefire90

Sounds more like a starter motor problem. The bendix is not fully engaging and grinding on the ringear. Pull trans cover off and look for any ground teeth on it. Spray PB Blaster on the worm gear, They get sticky sometimes. U may have to change the starter motor solinoid. or get a reman starter motor
Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure it's not the starter. I thought about that but you can definitely hear it coming from the GPR. It happened once when I started the truck and all of the lights in the cab kept glowing. Weird.

Rotis

I repainted my whole m1009. I had to cut a large section of the rear quarterpannel out on both sides of the truck. from the mufflers back to the tail lights. welded new pannels on bondo'ed the seams. took off the old 31x10.5x15 tires added Bfg ta ko 33x10.5x15. still looking for whips and mounts. soon will be adding snorkel and roof rack.( spare tire takes up too much space!!):-D

Matt65

Reconnected the transmission kickdown switch that had it's power supply cut at some point over 2 years ago before I bought the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.